Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is front hood gap "within spec" ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This looks like a bad case of "closing the frunk the wrong way" and hence bending it.
It may very well happened long after the car left the factory.
But yes, this is no way a new car should look - warranty repair.

Mine is off as well. I tried to bend it by hand. The front edge of the frunk is way stronger than some have suggested. I put at least 100# of force on the edge - it barely flexed, and didn't bend.

I'm with TomServo: Take it to a hi-end body shop, have them evaluate it. You will then know what might be involved to resolve the issue.

I took my car to gett PPF (except the hood) + tint and the owner whos friends with the manager at a local Tesla SC, sent him the pictures above. Got back with a 50/50 replace/fix which doesnt really help lol.

But yeah soonest SC appointment isnt til 12/9. I contacted them via app and they said they wont be able to make that determination of replace/fix until i bring it in on that date. Sigh.

Post delivery my car needed 5 service visits (5 months) to address all delivery issues. Sigh. Out of 5 visits, they tried to align the hood in 4 visits (3 different service centers in NJ). Here is how it looks now. Not 100% perfect yet. I finally gave up.

CBE1C2EC-5621-4AF4-94CA-DC86437FCA52.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Post delivery my car needed 5 service visits (5 months) to address all delivery issues. Sigh. Out of 5 visits, they tried to align the hood in 4 visits (3 different service centers in NJ). Here is how it looks now. Not 100% perfect yet. I finally gave up.

View attachment 611522

My hook like like the OP's and they actually replaced the hood. Now, after multiple adjustments, I have exactly what you do: bulge off center to the right. And to level the hood, the right hood bumper is unthreaded to the point where it is about to come out. There were others at the service center with the same bulge and I'm trying to ascertain whether it's the hood or the front bumper.

IMG_1376.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I dropped my car off at the SC to get OP issue and other issues from delivery corrected. They just called me to give me a status and one of the completed work they have done already was the hood gap. I have my eyebrow raised on that one as I was expecting them to take some time to fix or replace the hood. They said they made some few adjustments and it corrected the issue. We will see..I'm hoping I don't have to Uber all the way there only to find out it's not corrected and will take additional time.

Post delivery my car needed 5 service visits (5 months) to address all delivery issues. Sigh. Out of 5 visits, they tried to align the hood in 4 visits (3 different service centers in NJ). Here is how it looks now. Not 100% perfect yet. I finally gave up.View attachment 611522

Damn. That is sad. I'm no metallurgist, but bending aluminum back and forth can't make it straight. There are so many warps in that hood. Hopefully it doesn't look that bad at every angle. Elon can hire people to land a rocket booster from outer space onto a drone ship in the middle of the ocean, with precision, but he can't find people who aren't completely vexed by the notion of aligning body panels.

Customer: "Why wasn't this caught by factory QA?!"
Telsa: "We actually don't have factory QA."

Customer: "Why wasn't this caught by the delivery team when they completed a pre-delivery inspection?!"
Telsa: "The delivery team actually doesn't do a pre-delivery inspection."

Customer: "Why am I buying a $60,000 car with so many defects?!"
Tesla: "Because it's actually a $10,000 car with $50,000 of really cool technology. And you're anal. Now go away while we update the Emissons app with new fart noises."

• Funny
Reactions: vinny84
I picked up my Y here in texas on Saturday. Had a slew of issues; i.e scratched windows, rear hatch window edge uneven but the main one that bothers me is the gap in the front good. The edges towards the middle passenger side sticks UP more compared to the rest thats more flush. I didnt know how bad it was still i saw it from the front at night.

The SC center was closed and sales guys/advisors said to just submit a ticket and the SC techs would repair it. I had traded my car in so its not like i could easily refuse the car and wait. Plus with it being texas, feel like *sugar* would get complicated. I had scheduled to take my car in the morning to PPF the whole front and tint windows but now not sure if i should.

Would Tesla replace the hood... or am i most likey gonna get "Its within spec"? View attachment 611013 View attachment 611014
That's is "not to spec", SC should fix it as long as you report it. Hold off on the PPF till that gets fixed.

...but he can't find people who aren't completely vexed by the notion of aligning body panels...."

Am I the only one here that thinks these aren't alignment issues, but QC issues with the body panels themselves? There's a limit to what "aligning" can accomplish if the panels (specifically hood and front bumper) aren't manufactured consistently.

Most of the hood issues appear to be inconsistent curve of the leading edge. Ditto for leading edges/following edges of doors/fenders.

Am I the only one here that thinks these aren't alignment issues, but QC issues with the body panels themselves? There's a limit to what "aligning" can accomplish if the panels (specifically hood and front bumper) aren't manufactured consistently.

Most of the hood issues appear to be inconsistent curve of the leading edge. Ditto for leading edges/following edges of doors/fenders.

Definitely. The way the front edge is lifted on one side is a panel issue, not an alignment issue.

We were fortunate that the panels and the alignment were absolutely perfect for the Model Y we picked up on Monday. On my 2020 Model 3, I had to spend about 30 mins fixing the alignment of the frunk by adjusting the latch and the rubber bumpers, but I got it perfect after doing that. I wouldn't be able to fix the issues in this post.