Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is FSD really worth the $10k?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have it in my M3P and added it to the MYP i just ordered but i never use it, though i use autopilot every now and then. Main reason for getting it is resale but it seems people don't pay much more for a car that has it vs one that doest. Any thought?

Since it will depreciate (unless you buy into Elon's crazy idea that it will become worth more over time) I would not get it unless you want to use it.

Having paid $6K I'm kind of ok with it as I use the lane change function frequently. But no way I would buy it for the current price.

Another argument not to get it is that you will pay annual registration fees over its value.

I bought our Model S with it as a "Go Big or Go Home" get the car loaded (paid $6,000 in 2019). We intend on taking this on road trips (free supercharging).

But I have no intention (didn't order it) on my Model X refresh. This will be my daily driver. The included auto pilot should be fine for Southern California traffic. I really don't see a $10,000 value to it. Self parking and summon are of no use to me. Still thinking $89,000 is too much for the MX. Want to see and drive one before I plunk down that kind of money.

I paid a total of $12,000 to get FSD with AP on one car and FSD with EAP on the other during the “sale“ two years ago. (My cars are old enough that you had to pay extra for both AP and EAP.) Obviously the car with EAP has benefitted very little from FSD, but I would really miss auto lane change on the AP car if I hadn’t purchased FSD. $12,000 for two cars might sound like a bargain compared to recent $20,000 prices for two, but at this point I am very skeptical that FSD will come close to being “self-driving” and surely wouldn’t pay the current $20,000 tab for my two cars. I would perhaps buy a subscription for one car and leave it off the other car unless my wife suddenly decides she wants to use autopilot. So far, she never uses it.

I live in Atlanta and honestly, it is a waste of money for commuting. On Navigate the lane changes take far too long to execute so I end up not using Navigate at all. Also, it does a poor job in handling interchanges, you just cannot slow down to what FSD commands in Atlanta and live to tell about it! FSD needs to be a lot more aggressive to be of value, IMHO.

Maybe it works fine on road trips, but I have not had the opportunity and I cannot comment on that aspect.

On a positive note, the commanded lane change feature (using the stalk) is a real nice feature of FSD, but not worth the money by itself.

Right now it's probably not worth it. The differences between FSD and autopilot aren't really that important to the majority of people for the majority of their driving.

That being said, I'm very excited for my Cybertruck and I am 100% getting FSD. I made my preorder when it was $7000, but even if it was $10000 or a little more, I personally would still get it.
I see FSD as an investment. If Tesla reaches level 3, I will want that. If Tesla reaches 4/5, I definitely want that. I personally have always believed in Tesla, maybe not in the timeline that they always exaggerate, but I believe they will reach their goals. When Tesla does reach level 3 or higher, the price for FSD will definitely increase more than what has been going up by and when that happens, it would be nice to get a free software update than have to buy the software.

Also when we are looking at resale value, i'm really just looking at what are you getting for FSD that isn't already there with autopilot and that just isn't enough unless someone is specifically looking to purchase a Tesla with that feature. If you are selling to a car dealership, they are going to give you pennies on the dollar for FSD and if you are selling it back to Tesla, it wouldn't even matter to them because they can turn it off or on for whoever they sell it to.

I say no way is it worth $10,000. I'm also in the camp that says it's impossible to achieve Level 4 or above with current hardware. Knowing what I know now, I'd say it's worth around half that.

I have it in my M3P and added it to the MYP i just ordered but i never use it, though i use autopilot every now and then. Main reason for getting it is resale but it seems people don't pay much more for a car that has it vs one that doest. Any thought?
My M3P cost me $2K to add FSD. I don’t think I got great value for that.

At $10K, it’s laughably bad.

Reactions: Gadget63
...resale...
You can show Tesla's slide during the Autonomous Day indicating "Net present value of a single Robotaxi" is about $200,000:

Tesla-Robotaxi-Deployment.png

"Speaking at a closed-door investors event in Palo Alto on Monday, Musk laid out the math: The average Tesla car is currently parked for 22 hours per day. Starting next year, owners will be able to flip a switch inside the Tesla app, and send out their car to pick up and drop off passengers autonomously, earning an estimated 65 cents per mile in fares.

By Tesla’s estimates, owners might be able to earn $30,000 in gross revenue from their cars per year, or more than $300,000 in revenue over the 11-year lifespan of their car. With a basic version of the Model 3 costing $38,000 after incentives, self-driving Tesla robotaxis could become a profitable side business for owners, Musk said."

Reactions: tmp131
You can show Tesla's slide during the Autonomous Day indicating "Net present value of a single Robotaxi" is about $200,000:

Tesla-Robotaxi-Deployment.png

"Speaking at a closed-door investors event in Palo Alto on Monday, Musk laid out the math: The average Tesla car is currently parked for 22 hours per day. Starting next year, owners will be able to flip a switch inside the Tesla app, and send out their car to pick up and drop off passengers autonomously, earning an estimated 65 cents per mile in fares.

By Tesla’s estimates, owners might be able to earn $30,000 in gross revenue from their cars per year, or more than $300,000 in revenue over the 11-year lifespan of their car. With a basic version of the Model 3 costing $38,000 after incentives, self-driving Tesla robotaxis could become a profitable side business for owners, Musk said."
This is interesting math.

If a Tesla becomes capable of earning $30k/year for the owner, one presumes that Tesla will then stop selling cars and start owning robotaxis. Anything else would be a breach of their duty to maximize shareholder returns.

In other words, you’ll know Tesla has FSD working when they announce they’re no longer selling cars to private owners.

Until then, you might want to be skeptical of their progress on FSD.

I don't want a car to drive for me. I bought a MY to drive and enjoy driving. However I would like self parking for my wife

I don't want a car to drive for me. I bought a MY to drive and enjoy driving. However I would like self parking for my.

...one presumes that Tesla will then stop selling cars and start owning robotaxis. Anything else would be a breach of their duty to maximize shareholder returns...
Tesla still takes a portion of your revenue when you enroll in Robotaxi. I think $30,000 is the owner's profit after paying for expenses including Tesla's fees.

Since Tesla still generates revenues when owners use Tesla's app to run their own Robotaxis, it's still an incentive for Tesla to get more owners to buy their cars. It's just like a version of Uber.

Nah the price for full self driving is ridiculous for a freaking beta state for that matter even for 5k its ridiculous imo

im still from the crop that i buy a vehicle to drive myself so i see very little value for me for full self driving personally
having cruise control and blind spot is nice enough for me AP is a bonus, i had an 18 accord with honda sensing for free and worked fine but barely used anything other than lane keep assist on low

I develop cameras and work with AI for a living and have been excited to try out FSD, but now that I finally have a Tesla ordered I just can't justify the $10k for it. The only interest I have in it at this point is watching the tech progress. I also don't love the decision to pull radar because, from my experience, it is possible to leverage the strengths of the different sensing technologies.

Tesla still takes a portion of your revenue when you enroll in Robotaxi. I think $30,000 is the owner's profit after paying for expenses including Tesla's fees.

Since Tesla still generates revenues when owners use Tesla's app to run their own Robotaxis, it's still an incentive for Tesla to get more owners to buy their cars. It's just like a version of Uber.
If they only get a percentage of the revenue, why economic incentive would they have to sell a vehicle? They could maximize revenue by owning all the cars themselves - why share the revenue with Average Joe? It's not efficient to use their capital to make vehicles and generate revenue for others.

Similarly, if the vehicle can generate $30K/year in revenue, they can't sell it for 1-2 years worth of revenue... the market will quickly bid up the price of vehicles to a 4-5 year ROI, and large investors with low capital costs will build out fleets to capture that sweet robotaxi profit. Individuals will be priced out of Tesla ownership, except the very rich.

Elon's blue-sky predictions about robotaxi revenue don't make economic sense. Either he's going to have Tesla deploy its capital incredibly inefficiently to subsidize the revenue streams of private owners and large corporate robotaxi operators, or he's discovered some new field of economics and is about to become a Nobel Laureate in Economics.

Or, alternatively, he's not to be taken seriously on the subject of robotaxis.