Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is FSD w/ hardware 4 currently better than w/ hardware 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct in concept, but I don't believe that there is a need to not install updates. When FSD updates, it will probably leap-frog the other releases. Tesla knows that there are cars waiting.
In the past, they didn't...there were some users who were always at too high of firmware. The only times they caught up were the November release (last year) and the Holiday releases the last 2 years...that's not to say it won't be different going forward, but the safe play was to not download updates so that you didn't get ahead of FSD Beta.

Reactions: JB47394
I got my Y a month ago with HW4 and would like to have FSD beta.. Sounds like FSD beta 11.4.x is available for HW3 but not HW4? Does the software need to be rewritten for HW4? Any idea when it will be available for HW4? I'm just trying to understand why I can't get it but someone with HW3 can.

I got my Y a month ago with HW4 and would like to have FSD beta.. Sounds like FSD beta 11.4.x is available for HW3 but not HW4? Does the software need to be rewritten for HW4? Any idea when it will be available for HW4? I'm just trying to understand why I can't get it but someone with HW3 can.
11.4.X works with HW4, but you are probably past 2023.7.X, so it's not available to you.

If I understand right basically hw4 will basically leapfrog hw3 at some point, but just not yet. I think the idea is if you get the right hardware on the market the software can come later.

Here’s a pretty good look at the difference in cameras between the two. Makes me wonder if HW3 is even capable of reliably reading signs at a distance, especially the illuminated constructions ones.

It's gotta be a challenge for HW3 at freeway speeds and/or in suboptimal environments.

No doubt there's better resolution with HW4 but as others have said the 2018 HW3 cameras/lens might also have some environmental wear and tear.