Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is FSD w/ hardware 4 currently better than w/ hardware 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This might be a dumb question but I'm not super up to speed with the hw3/hw4 stuff and considering the FSD transfer. Is the selling point for hw4 that it has more eventual potential than hw3, or is it currently better (maybe less phantom breaking or better on city streets?) than FSD with hw3 too?

There really is no difference at this time, except that FSD doesn't run on it.
It really isn't anticipated to be a significant difference for a few years. HW4 is designed to allows FSD PLUS. But before the PLUS can occur, FSD needs to occur.

Reactions: tander
There really is no difference at this time, except that FSD doesn't run on it.
It really isn't anticipated to be a significant difference for a few years. HW4 is designed to allows FSD PLUS. But before the PLUS can occur, FSD needs to occur.
Add to my there is no such thing as FSD preaching. There is also no such thing as FSD PLUS . 🤔 That is some crazy a$$ posting . What is next FSD flying car? 🤣 FSD Capability works on all HW4 and FSD Beta 11.4.x also works on HW4. Only FSD Beta 11.3.6 doesn't work on HW4 since it was developed before HW4 was released.

Add to my there is no such thing as FSD preaching. There is also no such thing as FSD PLUS . 🤔 That is some crazy a$$ posting . What is next FSD flying car? 🤣 FSD Capability works on all HW4 and FSD Beta 11.4.x also works on HW4. Only FSD Beta 11.3.6 doesn't work on HW4 since it was developed before HW4 was released.
They didn't tell you about FSD Plus? It's an added option that actually drives like a normal human. Smooth steering, acceleration, braking, courteous, no indecisiveness, no dawdling, and enters turn lanes without the aft-end blocking traffic. It's gonna be the bomb! :)

• Funny
Reactions: tander and JulienW

If you weren't so combative, then you may learn something.

There is one product, FSD. Tesla has no other products with FSD in the name. Tesla is currently delivering FSD software that is in the beta stage.

FSD PLUS is my reference to the fact that Elon said that HW3 will run FSD. HW4 will run some features of FSD better and that additional features may be added. Hence, the PLUS.

There is one product, FSD. Tesla has no other products with FSD in the name. Tesla is currently delivering FSD software that is in the beta stage.

FSD PLUS is my reference to the fact that Elon said that HW3 will run FSD. HW4 will run some features of FSD better and that additional features may be added. Hence, the PLUS.
And again, that's proven to be wrong. The only thing Tesla offers is FSD Capability which some just call FSD. FSD Beta is still an active program that offers City Street driving that is coming soon to FSD Capability. Tesla keeps FSD Beta gated behind older software currently, preventing new testers from accessing FSD Beta, but still sells and allows subscription to FSD Capability, which is just EAP plus sign/light recognition.

Tesla doesn't, nor ever has, sold or allowed subscription to FSD Beta. Even in December users could opt into Beta or remain with the standard FSD Capability.

FSD Plus was made up by you, which is odd as you are seemingly such a stickler to names. Elon is just saying that HW4 will be better than HW3 with the same FSD stack.

And again, that's proven to be wrong. The only thing Tesla offers is FSD Capability which some just call FSD. FSD Beta is still an active program that offers City Street driving that is coming soon to FSD Capability. Tesla keeps FSD Beta gated behind older software currently, preventing new testers from accessing FSD Beta, but still sells and allows subscription to FSD Capability, which is just EAP plus sign/light recognition.

Tesla doesn't, nor ever has, sold or allowed subscription to FSD Beta. Even in December users could opt into Beta or remain with the standard FSD Capability.

FSD Plus was made up by you, which is odd as you are seemingly such a stickler to names. Elon is just saying that HW4 will be better than HW3 with the same FSD stack.

I have no idea what you are arguing.

"There is one product, FSD. Tesla has no other products with FSD in the name. Tesla is currently delivering FSD software that is in the beta stage."

In the previous sentence, did I ever say that Tesla sold FSD beta? Did I ever say that everyone, even those who paid for it, could get it.

I only stated the absolute and undeniable facts. Because I didn't want to hear the confusing crap that so many seem to want to make up.

I have no idea what you are arguing.

"There is one product, FSD. Tesla has no other products with FSD in the name. Tesla is currently delivering FSD software that is in the beta stage."

In the previous sentence, did I ever say that Tesla sold FSD beta? Did I ever say that everyone, even those who paid for it, could get it.

I only stated the absolute and undeniable facts. Because I didn't want to hear the confusing crap that so many seem to want to make up.

You said there is only one product, FSD, but it's more complex than that. There is FSD Capability and FSD Beta. You made up FSD Plus, which is not real.

You seem so confused by all of this...multiple people, including myself have attempted to help, but you are stubborn and either don't read or don't want to process what almost everyone is saying to you.

You said there is only one product, FSD, but it's more complex than that. There is FSD Capability and FSD Beta. You made up FSD Plus, which is not real.

You seem so confused by all of this...multiple people, including myself have attempted to help, but you are stubborn and either don't read or don't want to process what almost everyone is saying to you.
THERE IS ONLY ONE PRODUCT!!!!

I bought a Model 3 in 2018. Using your logic, I didn't buy a Model 3. Why? Because it is running a different version of software.
I run Windows 11 on my workstations. It's been updated, does that mean it's a different product?
I even run Windows 11 Beta on some machines, but it is still Windows 11.

You have got to get over this version thing. They are relatively irrelevant in the short term and completely irrelevant in the long term.

FSD PLUS is not a product, but indeed, in the future there will be a FSD plus something.

There is one product, FSD. Tesla has no other products with FSD in the name. Tesla is currently delivering FSD software that is in the beta stage........

Here is Tesla's FSD nomenclature and Tesla NEVER uses the term FSD alone. Also they have never used the completely fabricated term FSD PLUS. 🤣

• FSD Capability package (what you buy or can subscribe)
  • FSD Computer (name of HW3/HW4)
  • FSD Beta (aka: Autosteer on with streets is a software Tesla allows you to "test" before it is release)

THERE IS ONLY ONE PRODUCT!!!!

I bought a Model 3 in 2018. Using your logic, I didn't buy a Model 3. Why? Because it is running a different version of software.
I run Windows 11 on my workstations. It's been updated, does that mean it's a different product?
I even run Windows 11 Beta on some machines, but it is still Windows 11.

You have got to get over this version thing. They are relatively irrelevant in the short term and completely irrelevant in the long term.

FSD PLUS is not a product, but indeed, in the future there will be a FSD plus something.
At least you are starting to get it.

FSD is FSD, but not everyone can get into FSD Beta and that's never been the case. Regardless of that Tesla still provides FSD Capability, which is a step up from EAP to subscribers and new owners. When they complain, Tesla tells them they have all of the features they paid for. People assume they can just get FSD Beta, but that's still an early access program.

In the UK, where FSD Beta doesn't exist, they just get FSD Capability or what they call FSD. Eventually there will be a Beta program there and users will be able to request to be testers, but today they are selling and delivering the FSD Capability package where Auto-steer on City Streets is coming soon.

The reason we make the distinction clear and always have is that since 2016, people have wondered why they cannot access what they see on Youtube, but that program isn't available to purchase. You have to be let in.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
They didn't tell you about FSD Plus? It's an added option that actually drives like a normal human. Smooth steering, acceleration, braking, courteous, no indecisiveness, no dawdling, and enters turn lanes without the aft-end blocking traffic. It's gonna be the bomb! :)
By driving like normal human you mean it will broadcast expletives through the boombox to other(bad) drivers on the road ;)

Damn Tesla and their FSD nomenclature confusion. There is NO SUCH thing as just FSD.

• FSD Capability package (what you buy or can subscribe)
  • FSD Computer (name of HW3/HW4)
  • FSD Beta (aka: Autosteer on with streets is a software Tesla allows you to "test" before it is release)

EDIT: Just to answer the OP. FSD Capability can be bought or subscribed to on any car. FSD Beta 11.3.6 will NOT work on HW4. HW4 requires FSD Beta 11.4.x of higher which you can't get on new cars now. Any new HW4 will have to wait until Tesla release a stable version of 11.4.x into the general software.

So I have a 23 X with HW4, I haven't subscribed/purchased FSD because I was told it did not work at this time (and some other things like the front doors not opening correctly due to the radar removal). Is there any timeline that anyone knows of for 11.4.x to come out so that those with HW4 on new cars will be able to utilize it? I don't want to pay for something that doesn't work.

So I have a 23 X with HW4, I haven't subscribed/purchased FSD because I was told it did not work at this time (and some other things like the front doors not opening correctly due to the radar removal). Is there any timeline that anyone knows of for 11.4.x to come out so that those with HW4 on new cars will be able to utilize it? I don't want to pay for something that doesn't work.
No.

If you did subscribe, you'd just get FSD Capability...so EAP plus sign/light recognition.

It could be a few days or a few months...No one knows.

No.

If you did subscribe, you'd just get FSD Capability...so EAP plus sign/light recognition.

It could be a few days or a few months...No one knows.

Is it then sort of chicken or egg, that I need to be subscribed to FSD in order to get 11.4 pushed to the car, or when 11.4 is out if I subscribe then that will be what I get. Sorry I am a newbie to this. Trying to read and digest a ton of information on this site.

If your software is higher than 2023.7.X, you cannot get 11.4.
And the reason for that (which @uscbucsfan didn't mention) is that Tesla doesn't install a lower version of their vehicle software over a higher version. If you're rabid to get the latest FSD beta, you should stop installing updates until the FSD beta development branch passes your version number. Then you subscribe to FSD on your current software and hope that Tesla offers you the new version that you're after. Be prepared to be patient.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
And the reason for that (which @uscbucsfan didn't mention) is that Tesla doesn't install a lower version of their vehicle software over a higher version. If you're rabid to get the latest FSD beta, you should stop installing updates until the FSD beta development branch passes your version number. Then you subscribe to FSD on your current software and hope that Tesla offers you the new version that you're after. Be prepared to be patient.
Correct in concept, but I don't believe that there is a need to not install updates. When FSD updates, it will probably leap-frog the other releases. Tesla knows that there are cars waiting.

Reactions: JB47394