Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it legal to drive Model X in Canada?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Out of curiosity, can someone drive Model X in Canada from US? I don't mean for sale, but just as a trip. I suppose the car is still under review to meet Canadian standard for sale, does it affect driving it on Canadian road?

Out of curiosity, can someone drive Model X in Canada from US? I don't mean for sale, but just as a trip. I suppose the car is still under review to meet Canadian standard for sale, does it affect driving it on Canadian road?
That would be a bummer for my upcoming summer trip from NorCal to Victoria..no sir..you have to leave the falcon wings behind..not welcome in Canada..lol

• Funny
Reactions: umeshunni
I don't see why it can't. It would be titled and licensed in the US, so that should be only thing that matters.

I understand I can drive a US registered vehicle in Canada, but my point is ... if the car is not approved for sale yet, maybe the Canadian does not approve the car to be used on a Canadian road as well? Maybe they feel the Falcon Wing doors are too dangerous? ;) ... also wondering does the US Tesla car autopilot works in Canada?

This is my understanding: Tesla has been approved to sell Model-X in Canada, but these are Canadian-specific Model-X (adhering to Transport Canada rules with daytime running lights, metric units, etc.) Tesla is refusing to provide an upgrade kit (US to Canada) for the Model-X, so US Model-X cannot legally be sold in Canada. However, there is no issue with Americans driving into Canada with their US Model-X. They just can't sell it here.