Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it me or is this article as absurd as I think it is?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Author: Rakesh Sharma
Rakesh Sharma is a freelance journalist interested in the intersection between business and technology. An alumnus of the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern University, he has written for Active Trader, India Abroad, InvestorPlace, and Forbes.

Read more: Rakesh Sharma Bio | Investopedia Rakesh Sharma Bio | Investopedia
Follow us: Investopedia on Facebook

And, there is no way to leave feedback to let him know. I assume this is another online article that never pass by an editor's desk.

Last edited:
Sigh.

FacePalm.gif

I've been waiting for this for some time. My neighbors Prius has it, and I'm not certain, but I think one of its primary roles is to help keep interior car temp cool when parked. Seems natural for Tesla to have this and I'm actually surprised that it's taken this long.

I've been waiting for this for some time. My neighbors Prius has it, and I'm not certain, but I think one of its primary roles is to help keep interior car temp cool when parked. Seems natural for Tesla to have this and I'm actually surprised that it's taken this long.

It's role is to run a 20W fan. To put that into perspective, a Model S battery can drive that fan for 6 months continuously before you would need to recharge. Another way to look at it - you can get 24 hours of runtime of that fan by charging the car for 0.6 seconds (at a 125kW supercharger).

So no. It's a gimmick.

This is like the Nissan Leaf salesman that told us if we want to extend the range, to turn down the car radio. Sure maybe that will give me another 10ft of range over the lifetime of the car...

Last edited:
It ain't happening. The so-called "journalist" assumed that, just because the name "Tesla" was involved in the announcement, the solar roof mentioned by Elon must have been in reference to cars rather than houses. "Tesla" (the company) is not just about cars; there is "Tesla Energy" after all.

It ain't happening. The so-called "journalist" assumed that, just because the name "Tesla" was involved in the announcement, the solar roof mentioned by Elon must have been in reference to cars rather than houses. "Tesla" (the company) is not just about cars; there is "Tesla Energy" after all.
It's worse than that because he referenced SCTY as well. I sent a complaint to Investopedia. People actually read this stuff. Worst, it really wan't negative, just comically wrong.
For a moment, I thought I was reading an article in The Onion... then I realized he was serious! Definitely not taking any investment advice from this clueless guy.
Isn't most reporting in The Onion a bit more relevant than this item was?

Reactions: EinSV
So no. It's a gimmick.

This is like the Nissan Leaf salesman that told us if we want to extend the range, to turn down the car radio. Sure maybe that will give me another 10ft of range over the lifetime of the car...

I disagree! What if you ran out of power 10ft from a supercharger towards the end of the car's lifetime? And then what if your car got dented while being pushed 10ft by a nice person driving a Prius with a solar roof? $1000 plus time! Then you need to deal with the guy at the body shop who just got in a fight with his wife because he refuses to give away the goddamn Hawaiian shirt he never wears. Turn down that radio!

True, but the articles on investments seem to be the worst (I have to imagine that their writers throw a die to decide whether to write kW or kWh).
It's only fair to point out that on the securities I follow most of the investment advice seems to have been written with people who have no idea what they're talking about. Some of the mainstream news commentary is equally ignorant (Richard Quest of CNN on Aviation Safety is actually painful to hear if one actually knows anything at all about the subject). Commentary about batteries, EV's, solar power and wind power is even more fraught because actual knowledge of these subjects is not widespread in much of the world, including North America in particular. By the standards of most reporting Rakesh Sharma is hardly unusual in his woeful ignorance, sad to say, so I strongly agree with you.

I was actually surprised the other day when the Dallas Morning News reported that Texas gets 10% of electricity from wind power. It was in the context of Texas interests relative to US Presidential candidate proposals.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: lklundin and EinSV