Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it ok to change to “P” before the car is completely not moving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mean before the car is almost completely stop moving, I just don’t want to wait for that 1 to 2 seconds and just press “P” and the car would be like applying a strong brake by itself to instantly stop the car . Would that damage the car? Same question for changing from forward to reverse when trying to park a car, thanks!

I mean before the car is almost completely stop moving, I just don’t want to wait for that 1 to 2 seconds and just press “P” and the car would be like applying a strong brake by itself to instantly stop the car . Would that damage the car? Same question for changing from forward to reverse when trying to park a car, thanks!

Both of these things are addressed in the manual for the car:
===================

Reverse​

Push the drive stalk all the way up and release. You can only shift into Reverse when Model Y is stopped or moving less than 5 mph (8 km/h).

Neutral​

Neutral allows Model Y to roll freely when you are not pressing the brake pedal:
  • When in Park, shift into Neutral by briefly pushing the drive stalk either up or down to the first position.
  • When in Drive, shift into Neutral by briefly pushing the drive stalk up to the first position. If Autosteer or Traffic-Aware Cruise Control (if equipped) is active, you must push the drive stalk up to the first position and hold it there for more than 1 second. In doing so, Autosteer or Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is disabled.
  • When in Reverse, shift into Neutral by briefly pushing the drive stalk down to the first position.
Note
You must press the brake pedal to shift out of Neutral if driving slower than approximately 5 mph (8 km/h).

Park​

Press the end of the drive stalk while Model Y is stopped.
Arrow pointing to button at end of stalk
Model Y automatically shifts into Park to prevent roll-away while driving in low speeds. This happens whenever you connect a charge cable, unbuckle your seat belt, or open the door while in Drive or Neutral. Ensure the charge cable is removed, buckle your seat belt, and close the door before shifting out of Park.
Attempting to engage the parking brake above 5 mph (8 km/h) will result in emergency braking (see Emergency Braking).
To make it convenient to pick up passengers, you can also unlock all doors at any time by shifting into Park then pressing the Park button a second time.

================================

Both of these things are addressed in the manual for the car:
===================

Reverse​

Push the drive stalk all the way up and release. You can only shift into Reverse when Model Y is stopped or moving less than 5 mph (8 km/h).

Neutral​

Neutral allows Model Y to roll freely when you are not pressing the brake pedal:
  • When in Park, shift into Neutral by briefly pushing the drive stalk either up or down to the first position.
  • When in Drive, shift into Neutral by briefly pushing the drive stalk up to the first position. If Autosteer or Traffic-Aware Cruise Control (if equipped) is active, you must push the drive stalk up to the first position and hold it there for more than 1 second. In doing so, Autosteer or Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is disabled.
  • When in Reverse, shift into Neutral by briefly pushing the drive stalk down to the first position.
Note
You must press the brake pedal to shift out of Neutral if driving slower than approximately 5 mph (8 km/h).

Park​

Press the end of the drive stalk while Model Y is stopped.
Arrow pointing to button at end of stalk
Model Y automatically shifts into Park to prevent roll-away while driving in low speeds. This happens whenever you connect a charge cable, unbuckle your seat belt, or open the door while in Drive or Neutral. Ensure the charge cable is removed, buckle your seat belt, and close the door before shifting out of Park.
Attempting to engage the parking brake above 5 mph (8 km/h) will result in emergency braking (see Emergency Braking).
To make it convenient to pick up passengers, you can also unlock all doors at any time by shifting into Park then pressing the Park button a second time.

================================

This doesn’t explain if the car would be damaged when I manually do it.

Reactions: gsmith123

I don’t understand why there’s such a rush you can’t wait a couple extra seconds? You would potentially risk damaging the car because you are that impatient?

Do you have your seatbelt off and door open while the car is still rolling so you can jump out?

I can press the brake pedal before press the P but I don’t know if it is necessary.

Perhaps consider that holding the Park button in works as an emergency brake...

That still doesn’t answer the question.

FWIW I do this pretty regularly in a 2019 Model. It can be quite jerky if you hit parking while still rolling, but it hasn’t damaged anything yet.

If it was prone to damaging things Tesla could update the software to stop the car with the main brakes first.

I would wait until the car goes into ‘hold’ mode or at least until it is stopped. I’ve put it into Park while rolling (1-2 mph max) and it’s pretty jerky and doesn’t seem great for the car. It feels just like forcing an automatic transmission car into Park while rolling. Even putting into Park while stopped but before ‘hold’ mode turns on feels unpleasant.

If you can’t wait the extra second I would hit the brake to stop the car and then put it into Park.

If you really can’t be bothered to take the extra second to hit the button, just open the door after the car has stopped and it will auto shift to P. I assume you are waiting until the car stops rolling before getting out.

Be aware though if you’re going to be sitting in the car for a while it’s parked then you’ll want to hit the P button so you don’t accidentally hit the accelerator and run into something.

I'm not the OP, but being new to Tesla, one of my fears is using the push button in the wrong stalk. If I want to engage the wipers while driving and press the right stalk instead of the left, I have always wondered what this would do. It's been a little over a month of ownership and so far it's not happened but it has been my fear. Typically in ICE cars the wiper controls is on the right stalk.

Relax. Nothing happens (other than an error message popping up on screen). You have to hold in the parking button for a while to engage the emergency brake. You're not going to accidentally engage the brake.
That's true, but a simple tap of the stalk typically engages P and I think that is their fear: tapping the wrong stalk. Many of us are still accustomed to a traditional gearbox where entering Park while at high speeds could be disastrous, so I understand the fear. That gets engrained in your brain.

But as others have said, this isn't a traditional gearbox and the car is unlikely to harm itself in this way, one of the benefits of such a smart car.