Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible I got the wrong windshield on my Tesla S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible I got the wrong windshield on my MS?

Took delivery of a EAP HW2 with Sub Zero package Model S two weeks ago. This weekend I noticed that the windshield does not have the wipers defrost lines, similar to what shows up here:

IMG_4277-225x300.jpg

Did Tesla removed that from the Sub Zero package? Or I got the wrong windshield?

In the Control settings-> Cold Weather tab, I do have the option to turn the wipers defrost ON but what does it really do without the defrost lines in the windshield?

Can someone with HW2 and Sub Zero package confirm that they got the wipers defrost lines in their windshield?

Hmmm. In this case, how is Windshield Wipers Defrosting works? Just warm air inside the glass?

When we picked up our new S two weeks ago, they implied that it was warmed air that would heat the wipers. Having never seen the electric defrost wires, I didn't think anything of it and asked no further questions.

I definitely don't see those wires in our car and it has the cold weather package.

I don't have those lines on mine either, picked up in Dec, AP2.

I just went to Safelite and looked up a replacement windshield and 3 options show up for a 2016 & 2017.

1) Rain Sensor, Encap, Solar Coated, Soundproofing, w/ Lane Departure Warning System
2) Rain Sensor, Encap, Solar Coated, Heated Glass Wiper Park Area, Solar Coated, Soundproofing
3) Rain Sensor, Encap, w/Third Visor Banks, Soundproofing, Solar Coated

2013-15 only has options 2 & 3.

Based on that, it sounds like "w/ Lane Departure Warning System" is referring to AP2 hardware and became an option in the refreshed AP2 cars. Which is why none of us see the heated glass wiper park area.

I'm not sure what they switched to, but I drove my 60D in the snow this past weekend and had no issues with the wipers getting gunked up. The MS kept the whole front windshield area pretty clear and drama free. The heated nozzles were nice to so I could get the salt off the windshield as well.

Resurrecting this thread as I recently dealt with my first snow in my S and the wipers were horrible. I had the blade heaters on (yes kept activating them paying attention since they turn themselves off after 15 minutes) but kept having to clear ice off the blades and out from under the hood. The situation was worse than my Volt was without any kind of heated wiper package. What gives?