Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to change the UI language?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, I searched but I can't find the answer to this question. Is it possible to change the language of the UI in the Model S?

Reason I ask is that I'm hiring a Model S in Austria, so it might have the UI in German. It would be nice to be able to change it to English while I have the car.

Thanks

I asked on the Model S FB group:

Me: "European (and especially Swiss) owners - is it possible to change the GPS to English? We are renting a Model S in Zurich in September. Thanks"

A: "You can change the navigation voice, but not the actual language of the satnav/GPS system. It's not difficult to navigate Switzerland, especially in Zürich!"

Me: "We are doing an end-to-end tour. What is the default language for Switzerland?"

A: "The one I used was in French. The Swiss use three languages, French in the west, Schweizerdeutsch in the north, and Italian in the south - I would expect the nav and street names to be in German, where you rented the car"

Sorry to reply to my own thread but the response from EdA doesn't really answer the question (no offence intended) and I've now done my trip in the Model S rented in Austria.

So I can confirm that it is possible to change the UI language. You just go into the Controls, and there is a setting in there. When you change the language, the centre screen will reboot, and then everything on the screen will be in your chosen language and so will the navigation voice.

would love to see how to change the language!
I imagine it's too late, but basically this is how it looks like, you go to Controls -> Settings and select "Language & Units" there.

cid-langchange.jpg

This screen does not appear on US spec cars (it's also just called Units & Format):View attachment 241255
Right, there are certain hoops you need to jump through to get that showing if you are in US (or other single-language places, I guess).
But I think we were discussing multilanguage countries places seeing as how there was a reference to Switzerland Tesla showroom, so I just made a picture here so you know what to look for if you are renting a car overseas and want to change the language.
There's also going to be an option to change navigation language on that same screen, but that's even more tricky to enable in US so it's not pictured.