TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
  1. TMC is currently READ ONLY.
    Click here for more info.

Is it possible to find a LR under $40,000?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by 1LE McQueen, Jan 6, 2020.

1. 1LE McQueen

1LE McQueen Member

Yup, it's a thing. Just imagine all the interest the banks are collecting out of it.

• Like x 1
  2. rdcisneros3

rdcisneros3 Member

To each his own, but if someone asked for my 2 cents I would tell them that if they need to finance a car for 7 years to be able to afford the payments, they should buy a cheaper car.

• Disagree x 1
  3. kmstivers

kmstivers Member

I did it for 84 months at 2.99% — My work pays a certain dollar allowance per month for any car that I wanted. I didn’t want to come out of pocket at all unless I wanted to overpay and pay down the principle with extra money when it’s convenient.

I also have no intention of keeping the car for 7 years, so I bought a barely used M3 and saved on depreciation.

As a whole though, I agree that financing a car over 7 years is wild!

4. ElectricIAC

ElectricIAC Devil’s Advocate

Yeah: thing is once you get to a certain point there’s no sense in shortening the loan anymore. In my case the P3D+ was same rate to finance between 37-72 mos with a big bump at 73-84. So we took it at 72mo for flexibility.

• Like x 1
  5. dmurphy

dmurphy Woof.

The same rate is one thing; but you'll certainly pay more interest stretching the loan to 72 months. This isn't simple interest; it's compounded daily.

Is the additional flexibility worth $2,100 to stretch from 37 to 72 months? That's 100% up to you to decide!

Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 1.46.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 1.45.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 1.45.03 PM.png

6. ElectricIAC

Well for me the flexibility is in not getting in a tough spot should I have an issue with cash flow. I always had a mental block about a payment with a comma with it and while I could easily buy the payment down with more money (or just buy car outright) I didn’t see the sense in sacrificing investment capital to do that with.

7. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

Does it come with FSD for that price?

8. 1LE McQueen

1LE McQueen Member

The ad was removed by this morning. Either the seller got cold feet, or sold it lightning fast.

Not sure if it had FSD. Probably not. The Model Y's are around the corner so i'm really banking on some good luck here sometime soon.

• Like x 1
  9. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

You are going to have to be patient. The Model Y may ramp up slowly, so you are going to have to wait for a Model Y buyer in your area who happens to have a Model 3 for sale and chooses to private sell it rather than trade it in. It will happen. I just don't know how quickly.

• Like x 1
  10. KD5MDK

KD5MDK Member

I just bought a used M3 LR RWD 19” with 13k miles on it for $41,800 from Tesla. That seemed like a fair price. Now I’m looking for how to switch to 18” wheels.

11. ElectricIAC

Basic AP? Not bad at all and arguably the best version of the Model 3 regarding usable range and features.

12. Jeff Davlt

Jeff Davlt Member

That seems like a solid buy.