Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to install a radar sensor myself on a "no radar" Model Y/3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah its like night and day (except when using fsd beta)

Yes

Yup with FSD beta the +5 limit is removed on local roads, but you're capped to 80mph on highways and 2 car follow distance
Fascinating, are you the only known person to have done this? This seems like a brilliant hack, I'm eager to try. What resources did you all use to do this? If you made a guide somewhere I bet you could get a lot of interest.

Works great, love 90mph and the very smooth tracking.

It lasts forever :)

DM me if you want to try it
Hey I don't know how to DM you. I might not have permissions because I'm not active enough or something. But I was wondering if you know the answer to my question - my model 3 has the "reduced front radar visibility" problem which I believe is due to a faulty radar. I bought a new one from ebay with part number 1108647-00-b but mine is actually supposed to be C or D (i forgot which one) and when I installed it on the car it wouldn't even recognize a radar was plugged in. I switched back to faulty radar and it recognized it but had the visibility error again. So my question is: is there some configuration that tells the car to ONLY work with a specific radar? Or will it work if i just buy the one with matching part number.

Hey I don't know how to DM you. I might not have permissions because I'm not active enough or something. But I was wondering if you know the answer to my question - my model 3 has the "reduced front radar visibility" problem which I believe is due to a faulty radar. I bought a new one from ebay with part number 1108647-00-b but mine is actually supposed to be C or D (i forgot which one) and when I installed it on the car it wouldn't even recognize a radar was plugged in. I switched back to faulty radar and it recognized it but had the visibility error again. So my question is: is there some configuration that tells the car to ONLY work with a specific radar? Or will it work if i just buy the one with matching part number.

Installing a software update from Tesla MIGHT enable it, but there's a good chance that you need a technician to run a script to wed the radar to the VIN.

Fascinating, are you the only known person to have done this? This seems like a brilliant hack, I'm eager to try. What resources did you all use to do this? If you made a guide somewhere I bet you could get a lot of interest.
I made a rough guide somewhere in my posts, requires some disassembly/hacking though. Tesla could easily allow people to change this with Toolbox but for some reason they choose not to.

Pretty sure the last letter -B/C/D are generally just part revisions which are pretty interchangeable, so it should work. Issue is often that if you plug a radar it in spits out garbage data until you reset it in toolbox (relevant tasks are in the guide i wrote and available with the $300 toolbox subscription). An update may pair it as @smatthew noted but its not guaranteed. To minimize garbage data risk, its advisable to update it just after plugging it in. Mine was installed for a few days before updating, and i had garbage data issues.