Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to install a radar sensor myself on a "no radar" Model Y/3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure you could install a radar at the location where it was on other cars. However, the software is being rewritten to NOT use the radar. Even if it's installed, in an update or two no car will use radar. You will have a radar installed for nothing. I don't see the point. It's your money, do it if you want, but I would bet it will be useless soon.

Oh, that you can forget. As I said, Tesla have said that the radar is actually making FSD worse and they are rewriting to remove the need for a radar altogether. That's why I don't understand you wanting a radar. The system, once rewritten, will be better off without a radar. I have never heard of Tesla tuning a car specifically for someone.

If it does not work, will Tesla helped me to update the configuration file?
Hell no. Tesla is extremely unhelpful regarding any non-Tesla work done on the cars. You would have to seek out a Tesla hacker that can help. There are probably some flags in some config files that would need to bet set with Toolbox to tell the software that a radar is present. But as others have said, even those of us with radars will probably have them deactivated soon anyway, regardless of how well Tesla Vision works.

Reactions: X Ӕ A-12
It took Tesla 3 years to get the artificial intelligence working with the auto windscreen wiper, and I still get occasional phantom wipes.
I think it will be at least another year before we have parity with vision only versus vision plus radar.
So I would really like to have the radar on my new model Y.
Is there anyone that knows for sure what needs to be done after plugging in the sensor unit?

I would contact Ingineerix on Youtube. He has reverse engineered quite a bit of the Model 3, and my know what is involved or know somebody else who does. Might also be worth asking the Electrified Garage.
Ingineerix replied:
"No, it will not detect it. The config in the gateway has to be altered, and the only 2 ways that can be done are:
1. Tesla does it.
2. Someone roots your unit (expensive), then Tesla could void your warranty."

I have already asked Tesla, and they won't retrofit the radar and also not the passenger lumbar adjustment.

Ingineerix replied:
"No, it will not detect it. The config in the gateway has to be altered, and the only 2 ways that can be done are:
1. Tesla does it.
2. Someone roots your unit (expensive), then Tesla could void your warranty."

I have already asked Tesla, and they won't retrofit the radar and also not the passenger lumbar adjustment.
Electrified Garage can also not get root on these newer cars based on the FW version they ship with.

I took my vision car apart for fun. Radar harness and bracket are present. I installed a radar (obviously does nothing at this point though)

• Informative
Reactions: Pseudofinn
no pics!?
Radar harness has that light blue cap on it. Just had to untie it and snake it into the front bumper area, then uncap it & plug it in. There is also a white plastic piece on the tubing, which you clip into a spot. I have a manual from a few years back that helped.

I have mobile service coming to install homelink soon. Might offer the tech some $ to see what he can do ;)

Attachments

• IMG_1831.jpeg
    IMG_1831.jpeg
    686.1 KB · Views: 569
  • IMG_1845.jpeg
    IMG_1845.jpeg
    292.3 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_1851.JPG
    IMG_1851.JPG
    430.1 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_1854.jpeg
    IMG_1854.jpeg
    569.8 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_1858.JPG
    IMG_1858.JPG
    464.1 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_1862.JPG
    IMG_1862.JPG
    448.2 KB · Views: 315
Radar harness has that light blue cap on it. Just had to untie it and snake it into the front bumper area, then uncap it & plug it in. There is also a white plastic piece on the tubing, which you clip into a spot. I have a manual from a few years back that helped.

I have mobile service coming to install homelink soon. Might offer the tech some $ to see what he can do ;)
Any luck?

Also, can cars with radar go more than 5mph on the slower roads?

No, that limit applies regardless. Ironically, if you get accepted and install FSD Beta, though, your car will stop using radar and you can tell FSD Beta to go any speed you want on non-divided highways :). But if you turn FSD Beta back off and just use normal autosteer, it will go back to the +5mph limit.

And did it work? I just want to be able to go 90mph. Also, can cars with radar go more than 5mph on the slower roads?
Yeah its like night and day (except when using fsd beta)

Does it work now?
Yes

No, that limit applies regardless. Ironically, if you get accepted and install FSD Beta, though, your car will stop using radar and you can tell FSD Beta to go any speed you want on non-divided highways :). But if you turn FSD Beta back off and just use normal autosteer, it will go back to the +5mph limit.
Yup with FSD beta the +5 limit is removed on local roads, but you're capped to 80mph on highways and 2 car follow distance

Reactions: serendipitous