Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to order Model 3 Standard Range with AWD and Premium Interior ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OP I dont believe so. I dont think anyone has reported that. Both SR and SR+ come RWD and I dont think there is an off menu selection to make them AWD.

Only the LR or Performance are AWD and both come with the premium interior, so I believe the car you are after is actually just the LR model 3.

How much are you looking to save vs a LR AWD, that has premium interior standard?

Some background info: I am currently have a Model S 75D. I will switch to Model 3 in 2 months. I get 240 miles at 100% charge with this car. I have it for almost 3 years now. For my use all these 3 years, I never needed more than 200 miles. And I have made some long trips as well. Obviously, this is just my use case. It will not fit everybody.

With that said, whatever I can save it would be good. Right? Why pay for something that you don't use?

To answer the question directly, I am not sure exactly what the difference would be (if SR AWD was an option). Maybe $3-$4K? Not sure.

The issue is the size/capacity of battery. I had the same thoughts of why Tesla didn’t offer AWD with Mid-Range(now discontinued).

MR/SR(+) battery doesn’t have enough juice to power 2 motors with one being AC induction(front) which consumes more power than rear(Permanent Magnet) to take the car as much miles as just RWD. Also added weight of motor.

The issue is the size/capacity of battery. I had the same thoughts of why Tesla didn’t offer AWD with Mid-Range(now discontinued).

MR/SR(+) battery doesn’t have enough juice to power 2 motors with one being AC induction(front) which consumes more power than rear(Permanent Magnet) to take the car as much miles as just RWD. Also added weight of motor.
The SR+ battery has PLENTY of power to propel an AWD car. This just simply isn’t a factor - though you’re right it may reduce the real world range to the point of being unacceptable.

It’s purely economics. It’s no secret Tesla has been cell constrained for the Mode 3 for quite some time. Thus, they’re valuable, and if you want a long range car and all the extra cells it comes with right now you can only get it in the premium AWD (ie higher margin) version.

The SR+ battery has PLENTY of power to propel an AWD car. This just simply isn’t a factor - though you’re right it may reduce the real world range to the point of being unacceptable.

You have less cells in the SR than LR. Less cells means you can't pull as much power from them because you'd be depleting them faster than if you had more cells. For normal driving, I'm certain it's fine. But you'd likely have issues going autocrossing with it.

Some background info: I am currently have a Model S 75D. I will switch to Model 3 in 2 months. I get 240 miles at 100% charge with this car. I have it for almost 3 years now. For my use all these 3 years, I never needed more than 200 miles. And I have made some long trips as well. Obviously, this is just my use case. It will not fit everybody.

An AWD SR would have a 100% charge of ~210 miles. So it would have way less range than your Model S 75D. (An AWD SR+ would have ~230 miles of range.)

It’s purely economics. It’s no secret Tesla has been cell constrained for the Mode 3 for quite some time. Thus, they’re valuable, and if you want a long range car and all the extra cells it comes with right now you can only get it in the premium AWD (ie higher margin) version.

Not saying it can’t be done. But do you really want 180 mile(real world) range on SR+ with Dual Motor ? Maybe 150 miles with Performance motors. I had MR for 9 months and I got consistently more than rated range due to rear efficient permanent magnet motor. Now I have Performance and can hardly match rates range.

It’s not about margins as always, you have to think practically as well of what can be sold. Tesla doesn’t want to make their production processes more complex than they already are.

Production constraints are thing of the past. They have so many M3’s available for immediate delivery.

Last edited:
Tesla is not going to add any more variants to their 3 lineup for the foreseeable future.

If you scrap 45K together, 3P- is the value leader.

I thought I got a good deal on a 35K SR with 3750 federal.

Not that great in hindsight now with the 3P- price.