Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to prevent 1 FWD from opening at my home location?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to park next to a bike hanging on the garage wall, and the FWD doesn't seem to detect it as an obstacle. Is there a way to set that door not to open at all while in my garage? I'm concerned about accidental opening from the fob or door handle press.

I don't know of any official way to do that. My first thought would be to add a low divider between the door and the FWD that would be sensed by the FWD as too close to open. That also prevents the front door from opening wide. Maybe something hanging from the ceiling over the FWD top sensor might do the same thing without tripping you when you squeeze by it.

I thought you can set your doors to remember GPS location? Can GPS only be set for 1 FWD and not the other?
The geolocation setting is for a general “always open fully at this location” which really just ignores the top sensor. No, it cannot set for just one door. Besides, that’s irrelevant to OP’s problem. The feature does not prevent the door from opening.

The only way to solve it is to put an obstacle next to the door, like a screen or something.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
A hanging metallic string curtain would probably work best.
3ft-x-8ft-Silver-Foil-Metallic-Fringe.jpg

Does the item in the way have to be metallic? I put a flattened fedex box over the roof FWD sensor yesterday evening as a test, but the door opened up anyway. The roof sensor looked like the bumper sensor that can detect any objects like plants or buildings so i thought a box would have worked.

Now i'm considering just getting a pillow to wrap around the bike tire and frame so that no damage would occur to the door if it did open into the bike.

The barrier would have to be reflective of ultrasonics. I don't think the curtain would do, and maybe cardboard just isn't stiff enough for high frequencies. Maybe something like a melamine shelf?

As a side note, I'll need to pickup some touchup paint. We're so used to overriding the FWD with phantom obstacles that a real overhead pipe in a parking garage caught us out. Bad habit to get into.

As a side note, I'll need to pickup some touchup paint. We're so used to overriding the FWD with phantom obstacles that a real overhead pipe in a parking garage caught us out. Bad habit to get into.

Ouch...I can't help but feel I'm going to be super paranoid about opening the FWDs anywhere at all, even in an open field. I'd probably even turn the child safety locks on just so passengers can't get out without me supervising.

I bought some pillows and am going to bungee them around the parts of the bike that the FWD could touch.