Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to swap old bumper for new one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: UnpluggedP
Beware of Karstyle. Paid deposit in September with delivery promise of August. That was delayed to September, and now it's October and still nothing. They have stopped responding to emails and requests for a refund so now I have to file a dispute with my credit card company.

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck and AMPd
As no one appears to have tried to fit Tesla's facelift bumper and trim to a nose cone car, SUPRKAR and I have taken this on as a challenge, especially as it's another instance of Tesla service saying it can't be done.

We have a Tesla facelift bumper on the way to us now and all of the necessary parts have been ordered. We don't have a precise tally of the parts costs but we're estimating it will be about $600 - $700, far less than the Karstyle (now apparently out of business) and other after-market options that will be offered. If we're successful we'll make the parts list and install instructions available to any one who's interested.
From what we know now, the challenge appears to be a difference in the mounting points, some modifications to the nose-cone car mounting points.

Once we have all of the parts in hand we'll begin the experiment and create a new thread to report on results.

Good luck, but I was told by Unplugged Performance that they tried this and failed, and that is why they have been working on their own refresh. Here is what they said:

"Basically the entire front end needs to be replaced. So the hood, fenders and lights will not work. The mounting points are different and structural components behind the bumper are different as well. The ducting is also different."

"The only parts that will fit are:
1. Headlights
2. Fog Lights

Nothing else is compatible.

What needs to be changed:
1. Bumper cover
2. Grille (chrome trim)
3. Lower mesh grille
4. Electronic louvers + ducts
5. Hood
6. "T" emblem and holder"

Would love to be wrong on this one and see a cheap upgrade path to the new look.

tesla-test-mule-2.jpg

tesla-test-mule-5.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Randaddy
Good luck, but I was told by Unplugged Performance that they tried this and failed, and that is why they have been working on their own refresh. Here is what they said:

"Basically the entire front end needs to be replaced. So the hood, fenders and lights will not work. The mounting points are different and structural components behind the bumper are different as well. The ducting is also different."

1. Headlights
2. Fog Lights

1. Bumper cover
2. Grille (chrome trim)
3. Lower mesh grille
5. Hood

Would love to be wrong on this one and see a cheap upgrade path to the new look.
i have one on order. They are NOT replacing the hood!!

1. Headlights
2. Fog Lights

1. Bumper cover
2. Grille (chrome trim)
3. Lower mesh grille
5. Hood

We're very much aware of those claims. This will definitiely not be plug and play but we think the mods required are very doable. Once we give it a whirl, and if we succeed, we'll post lots of photos and info on what needs to be done.

As I think Karstyle is kaput, and my $1,500 deposit to them was made on a debit card and therefor doesn't qualify for a chargeback, I've already spent $1,500 on this mod, so I want to hold costs down and end up with something that uses the Tesla facelift fascia/bumper, not some aftermarket imitation.

Bill and I may not succeed but believe it's worth a serious attempt. After all, consider what wk057 has managed to accomplish on things that Tesla and nearly everyone said couldn't be done. In comparison this is child's play.