Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it safe (or better) to use the Pilot Sport 4s N0(Porsche) version on a M3P?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Porsche tire is 1 lb lighter, has .5" more tread depth, and .2" less tread width otherwise the listed specs are identical. However, that doesn't mean there aren't more differences that just aren't listed in the specs. Tread will almost certainly be different and sidewall stiffness could be slightly different as well. I run non T0 18" PS4S tires on my car and they work perfectly.

I came across this article on the BMW M3 PS4S recently and found it pretty interesting.

https://www.tire-reviews.com/Article/Should-I-Fit-OE-Tires.htm

The BMW OEM version sounds like a significantly different tire from the regular PS4S, more aggressive with more focus on feedback and responsiveness. I wish I could get the BMW version in Model 3 18" sizing!

Of course that doesn't tell us anything about the Porsche or Tesla PS4S, except to confirm that they may also be significantly different from regular PS4S, and from eachother.

I came across this article on the BMW M3 PS4S recently and found it pretty interesting.

https://www.tire-reviews.com/Article/Should-I-Fit-OE-Tires.htm

The BMW OEM version sounds like a significantly different tire from the regular PS4S, more aggressive with more focus on feedback and responsiveness. I wish I could get the BMW version in Model 3 18" sizing!

Of course that doesn't tell us anything about the Porsche or Tesla PS4S, except to confirm that they may also be significantly different from regular PS4S, and from eachother.

Wow. This article explains a lot on the design of PS4S. I think I'd prefer this BMW version for my SoCal usage. Thanks for sharing.

The Porsche spec tires will likely have extra strength for the rear tires of the car, as that is what supports the significant % of the weight, the engine being located in the rear.

Some Tesla tires are XL rated - for extra load or extra weight on all 4 corners.

I would stick with the tires that were designed for your car, because of the grossly different front / rear weight placed on the tires vs. a Porsche.

• Disagree
Reactions: gearchruncher
The Porsche tires the OP linked to are XL tires as well. In fact, all PS4S 235/35R20's are XL.
That's great. So, the XLs might work. But I can assure you the tires are designed and made differently. It's better to get the tires that were designed for your car. Required - no; recommended - yes.
The OEMs each have tires designed different for the specific weight balance of their cars.

No need to get upset and thumbs down my previous post, I am just sharing information. Sorry to offend you with this information.

No need to get upset and thumbs down my previous post, I am just sharing information. Sorry to offend you with this information.
I disagreed with this because it was full of wrong info, which is that the Porsche "might" not run XL tires in the front, and other guesses. That's not information, that's dis-information, so I dis-agreed.

Porsche actually makes more cars than a 911. The Porsches that use these tires are Boxters. Mid-engined, not rear engined. With 47:53 weight distributions, often described in the press as "near-perfect weight distribution". And they run much wider tires in the back. And the tires are all XL, with a 92Y rating, so they are perfectly safe to use on our cars, despite your guess that they "might" not be. In fact, they are exactly the same rating as the stock T0 tires, and fully meet the requirements on the door sticker.

But I can assure you the tires are designed and made differently. It's better to get the tires that were designed for your car.
Every tire on the planet is a compromise. The tires designed for our cars are likely designed for efficiency, since they are EV's. Some people would like to trade performance for range. There is no universal "right" tire or one "designed" for your car. There is only a tire designed for the OEM's goals for the car they advertised to you, and it's OK to have different goals. This is why we have standards on what tires can be run, like load ratings, so you can determine what tire is appropriate for your car even if it isn't the OEM tire.

By your definition, it would be a bad idea to put all season tires on a M3P because it didn't come with them, so you should just not drive it when it's cold out.

Last edited:
FYI, N0's side profile looks quite different than the T0. N0 looks more stretched; but its "rim protection lip" sticks out further, making it actually functional.

Attachments

• N0.jpg
    N0.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 318
  • T0.jpg
    T0.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 167
I disagreed with this because it was full of wrong info, which is that the Porsche "might" not run XL tires in the front, and other guesses. That's not information, that's dis-information, so I dis-agreed.

Porsche actually makes more cars than a 911. The Porsches that use these tires are Boxters. Mid-engined, not rear engined. With 47:53 weight distributions, often described in the press as "near-perfect weight distribution". And they run much wider tires in the back. And the tires are all XL, with a 92Y rating, so they are perfectly safe to use on our cars, despite your guess that they "might" not be. In fact, they are exactly the same rating as the stock T0 tires, and fully meet the requirements on the door sticker.

Every tire on the planet is a compromise. The tires designed for our cars are likely designed for efficiency, since they are EV's. Some people would like to trade performance for range. There is no universal "right" tire or one "designed" for your car. There is only a tire designed for the OEM's goals for the car they advertised to you, and it's OK to have different goals. This is why we have standards on what tires can be run, like load ratings, so you can determine what tire is appropriate for your car even if it isn't the OEM tire.

By your definition, it would be a bad idea to put all season tires on a M3P because it didn't come with them, so you should just not drive it when it's cold out.

I didn't say it isn't safe, I said what is recommended from the OEM should be looked at.

On a 911, the typical weight on each tire would be as follows:
Front Left tire: 650 lbs
Front Right tire: 650 lbs
Rear Left tire: 950 lbs
Rear Right tire: 950 lbs

The weight is over the extreme tail end of the car, at the far end. Consider the center of gravity.

Not sure why you are talking about Boxster tires (not spelled Boxter). I don't really want to defend or respond to your statements any further, out of respect to the OP, and not wanting to take this in an unnecessary direction. Thank you for understanding that I won't respond again.

And if you want to put tires that were designed and optimized by Porsche & Michelin for the Porsche Boxster on your Tesla, you will have no issue from me.

Not sure why you are talking about Boxster tires
Because no 911 uses OEM 235/35R20 tires. Those are tires for a Boxster / Cayman. So 911 weight distribution is meaningless, and I'm not quite sure why you keep bringing it up. Notice the OP never said 911 at any point. Just Porsche OEM, and Porsche makes a LOT of different cars, including ones with engines in the front.

Even with that, I'd love to know why you would think that Porsche would spec XL, 92 load index tires on the front of a 911 if they are such specially designed tires exactly for the special weight distribution of that car, which comes nowhere near to needing XL or 92 on the front axle.

The hilarious thing about this is that Porsche cares so little about the 911's tires that they have at least 3 suppliers and randomly put them on, much to the annoyance of owners:

You can also read this stuff from Porsche, where they expound on how much work they do on tires, never once mentioning the special needs of a rear engined car:
(Where they also hilariously tell you how much they work with Michelin to get you the perfect tire before delivering you a car with Goodyears on it)

I said what is recommended from the OEM should be looked at.
Cool. Here's the Model 3 manual on tires. Note it doesn't mention XL, load rating, brand, or T0 tires at all. Just a size, which the N0 tires absolutely meet:

1678317942273.png

I have a custom setup on my model s performance with 20 inch wheels

I was running the Continents on them which were extremely quiet but then don’t make that specific one anymore

I decided to go with the Pilot Sport 4S all season

To my surprise, the 4S all season were louder than the worn out Contis

I am returning the all season and getting the summer PS4S since I have those on my M5 and while they are not the most quiet tires I feel…… I except them to be more quiet on the S than the all season

That being said, the 4S last half as much when compared to their all season counterpart

Now all the intricacies with the BMW Verson VS the Porsche ….. I gotta check what I ordered.

I am returning the all season and getting the summer PS4S since I have those on my M5 and while they are not the most quiet tires I feel…… I except them to be more quiet on the S than the all season
What place lets you return used tires?
I would not assume a 4S is quieter than a A/S 4 (no such thing as a A/S 4S). Larger tread blocks are generally noisier.
It seems you care about noise over performance, so picking an extreme performance summer tire is a very odd choice.

Now all the intricacies with the BMW Verson VS the Porsche ….. I gotta check what I ordered.
You're in the Model 3 forum, with model 3 tire sizes. Your larger tire sizes may not overlap with an OEM tire from Porsche or BMW.

Reactions: XPsionic
What place lets you return used tires?
I would not assume a 4S is quieter than a A/S 4 (no such thing as a A/S 4S). Larger tread blocks are generally noisier.
It seems you care about noise over performance, so picking an extreme performance summer tire is a very odd choice.

You're in the Model 3 forum, with model 3 tire sizes. Your larger tire sizes may not overlap with an OEM tire from Porsche or BMW.
Costco all the way baby on the returns ( they have a one month return policy on the Michelins )

Let’s say I prefer a quiet ride in the Tesla to listen to music when I am being energy efficient on the roads.

Now on the M5, there is plenty of exhaust drama when I am out with that.

The odd choice of a summer over an all season ….
Hmmm
It’s a known thing that summer tires are more quiet than an all season and it’s proved that way for many brands including the Michelins

The touring is the ultimate choice for noise concerns but I am not sure how soft those sidewalls will feel for my driving so stayed with summer performance like we’re my precious contis.

Last edited:
Let’s say I prefer a quiet ride in the Tesla to listen to music when I am being energy efficient on the roads.
That's fine. I'm just saying that going for super performance tires is unlikely to meet that goal. Sounds like you want more of a grand touring all season tire, not an extreme performance summer. As someone with 4 sets of PS4S tires in my garage, I would not call them quiet.

Reactions: XPsionic
And here's Tire Rack's comparison of the 4S and the A/S 4:

1678982009588.png

If you're sensitive to the A/S being noisy, the 4S isn't going to be better. Consumers rate them identically.
But whatever, you mind is made up, so good luck. Report back when you get them and let us know if they really are quieter.

And here's Tire Rack's comparison of the 4S and the A/S 4:

View attachment 918178

If you're sensitive to the A/S being noisy, the 4S isn't going to be better. Consumers rate them identically.
But whatever, you mind is made up, so good luck. Report back when you get them and let us know if they really are quieter.
You making me think really hard now

Time to get my db meter out and do some runs

Straight dB measurements won't really tell you how a tire "sounds" to a human. Psychoacoustics means that sounds with more energy can sound quieter to humans if it spreads the energy across wider spectrums. Humans also adapt to environments really fast and adjust hearing to background noise.

What people think of as a noisy tire may be continuous hum, or it may be the noise it creates over dynamic elements like cracks. The noise it generates may be highly dependent on the surface you are on also.

This is one reason why electric cars aren't as quiet inside as you might expect- humans adapt to the quieter environment, and then hear other sounds, which now sound louder.