Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it unusual to have no filter at all?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
F4EED42E-E325-4033-AA75-6142CCB620B1.jpeg
I disassembled the frunk to install the TeslaOffer opener kit. I was really surprised to find two things :

1) the 12v battery had a huge rats nest on it and supposedly this passed the cpo inspection somehow.

2) there is a huge void where there supposed to be some sort of cabin filter. I assume the filter was made into the rats nest ? Or is this not uncommon to see a blank space here ?

Tesla used car certification is the gift that keeps on giving

Reactions: wreighven
Keep in mind Tesla has no "CPO" program and the cars should be considered as "AS IS".
I bet the previous owner took it out along with the rats but didn't clean up else where.

Tesla will probably get you a filter though.

Keep in mind Tesla has no "CPO" program and the cars should be considered as "AS IS".
I bet the previous owner took it out along with the rats but didn't clean up else where.

Tesla will probably get you a filter though.

@Uncle Paul is right. The HEPA "Bioweapon Defense" filter was optional in earlier years; that's why that filter holder is empty.

If you want to add it: Model X HEPA Air Filtration Upgrade

• Helpful
Reactions: Dave EV
The filter doesn't actually fit into that plastic frame, it comes together as a single piece (frame and filter), so it's likely the car didn't have the Bioweapon mode. It was part of the premium upgrade package before it was made standard.

The cabin filters are accessed internally, I believe they are behind the glovebox.

As posted above, that's where's the hepa filter goes and was empty in standard car configs until PUP became standard.

I had the same thing, purchased hepa filter from Tesla directly 2 years ago. Just undo about 12 bolts, it pops right out, put in a new one (ifOif you buy it from Tesla it comes in the housing) third party hepa filter from sites like FilterBuy and glue/taped it in. These days probably easiest to just get it from Tesla or order the bwd mode from Tesla. Since they recommend replacing it every 3 years, hopefully they'll just sell you the filter. If you took that picture you did the hardest part of changing it.

So, I have that TeslaOffer kit (v2), and it's been sitting in my office taunting me. How hard was the install? I'm a little scared to take apart my X...

not hard. the most time consuming part is the end when you button it altogether and it decides not to close and latch properly because you have to then adjust the spring. it's literally all plug and play no cutting no splicing. just a bunch of plugs and zipties.

I had my vehicle serviced this weekend and the mobile tech who worked on it said that he’s worked on hundreds of MX 12v battery and mine is the first one that he had seen with an empty cavity where the hepa should be. After service completion they sent me a quote for only $300 to install the hepa and enable configuration whatever that means? Is the “hepa” filter the same thing as the bio weapon?

I’m confused because of what he’s quoting me is only $300 then why does Tesla charge $500 for the filter part alone on the online store

I’m confused because of what he’s quoting me is only $300 then why does Tesla charge $500 for the filter part alone on the online store

What is available in the online store is the upgrade: "This package includes Bioweapon Defense Mode firmware as a feature of the HEPA system, and comes with a new HEPA filter."

So it sounds like they are giving you a deal. ($200 off.)

I had my vehicle serviced this weekend and the mobile tech who worked on it said that he’s worked on hundreds of MX 12v battery and mine is the first one that he had seen with an empty cavity where the hepa should be. After service completion they sent me a quote for only $300 to install the hepa and enable configuration whatever that means? Is the “hepa” filter the same thing as the bio weapon?

It's normally a $500 upgrade as you stated: Model X HEPA Air Filtration Upgrade
And while 3rd party filters are available, it won't get your software updated to allow the vents and louvers to activate appropriately.

HEPA is the filter grade. Bio mode is the software enablement.

It sounds like he's exercising his right for a goodwill discount because he thinks somethings might be amiss since he hasn't seen it before. The reality is that a VERY small percentage of cars are actually missing the filter. The filter became standard starting with build dates of 07/2017.

Meaning a little over one year of Model Xs didn't have them standard. Even in that year, it was still an option for part of the year; and came standard on all performance models for a portion of the year. Throw on top of that all of the cars that were upgraded - some paid and some out of goodwill - on a production year that was already pretty low and the result is a very limited number of cars that will appear to be "missing" that filter.

Nothing is wrong with your car. If they offered it to me for $300, I'd take it in a heartbeat. They're giving it to you at replacement cost with free software instead of the upgrade cost.

Reactions: njhtran and dmurphy
It's normally a $500 upgrade as you stated: Model X HEPA Air Filtration Upgrade
And while 3rd party filters are available, it won't get your software updated to allow the vents and louvers to activate appropriately.

HEPA is the filter grade. Bio mode is the software enablement.

It sounds like he's exercising his right for a goodwill discount because he thinks somethings might be amiss since he hasn't seen it before. The reality is that a VERY small percentage of cars are actually missing the filter. The filter became standard starting with build dates of 07/2017.

Meaning a little over one year of Model Xs didn't have them standard. Even in that year, it was still an option for part of the year; and came standard on all performance models for a portion of the year. Throw on top of that all of the cars that were upgraded - some paid and some out of goodwill - on a production year that was already pretty low and the result is a very limited number of cars that will appear to be "missing" that filter.

Nothing is wrong with your car. If they offered it to me for $300, I'd take it in a heartbeat. They're giving it to you at replacement cost with free software instead of the upgrade cost.

Does that mean my 2018 X75 (built 5/2018) purchased without the PEP which included BioDefense mode has this filter? Also, is this filter in addition to the cabin filter behind the glove box?

Does that mean my 2018 X75 (built 5/2018) purchased without the PEP which included BioDefense mode has this filter? Also, is this filter in addition to the cabin filter behind the glove box?

Yes, it's in addition to the cabin filter behind the glove box. I'm not familiar with the term "PEP" There was a PUP - premium upgrades package. But that was gotten rid of, admittedly I'm getting a bit old and fuzzy with the changes so maybe I have my dates mixed up. I thought it went away in mid 2017. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Yes, it's in addition to the cabin filter behind the glove box. I'm not familiar with the term "PEP" There was a PUP - premium upgrades package. But that was gotten rid of, admittedly I'm getting a bit old and fuzzy with the changes so maybe I have my dates mixed up. I thought it went away in mid 2017. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Sorry, you are correct PUP is what I meant. I believe they dropped it and made the upgraded sound system, Bioweapon defense, and other components standard in Sep 2018. (3+ months after I leased :(). The good thing is my lease is up in May, so if I get another X I will get the PUP options and a lot more for the same money:).