Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it worth changing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But don't you still need to go into the car, view the controls screen, then click on the "Unlock" section to get that adapter to unlock from the car? Or does holding the trunk button on the fob do that for you? I've even had trouble with that using the button on the connector, with it locking right back in a fraction of a second after unlocking.
No, you don't need to use the touchscreen for that. Unlocking the charge port with the fob does release that. Also, with the charge handle thing you mention, yes, if you just quickly press and release it, very often, it will immediately re-lock. Press AND HOLD, and it will stay unlocked as you pull it out. That works for both the Tesla plug and J1772 plug. But as described, with a J1772, you will also need to use your other hand to pull the adapter out along with the J1772 handle.

No. I push button on the adapter until the light turns from green to light blue. Then I release the adapter button and it regards the adapter and you can pull out with one hand. If you fail to release the button you need to use two hands because the adapter held to the Ji772 by a latch that is released when you push the button. Process with adapter. 1. Push button until light turns light blue. 2 Release button on adapter. 3. Pull out Ji772 and adapter together and hang up.

2 Release button on adapter. 3. Pull out Ji772 and adapter together and hang up.
What several people are pointing out is that the method you are describing very frequently doesn't work. There is a step "2.5", where the charge port detects letting go of the button so it loses the unlock signal and reactivates the lock instantly and grabs hold of the adapter again, so it will not release it for step 3. Your method may sometimes work at some times on some people's cars, but it fails often. People are just pointing out a way that works every time on all cars by holding the button down, which then does require both hands to pull things out.

No. I push button on the adapter until the light turns from green to light blue. Then I release the adapter button and it regards the adapter and you can pull out with one hand. If you fail to release the button you need to use two hands because the adapter held to the Ji772 by a latch that is released when you push the button. Process with adapter. 1. Push button until light turns light blue. 2 Release button on adapter. 3. Pull out Ji772 and adapter together and hang up.
One problem with that method is some people have forgotten to remove the adapter from the J1772 plug and then don't realize they are missing their adapter until they go to use it again. I always use two hands so that I am sure to remove the adapter from the J1772 plug right after removing it from the car.