Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it worth it getting panels gaps perfect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That roof window looks off centre?

You mean the roof glass? They are just slightly different sizes so it doesn't match up to a clean line. It's the same on both sides.

carRoof.JPG

I have booked my car in to be fixed. Minor paint defects and panel gap to bumper. How long do they take or do I normally have to rebook after inspection? I have a road trip planned at the end of the month and don't really want to delay it any more than required.

I have booked my car in to be fixed. Minor paint defects and panel gap to bumper. How long do they take or do I normally have to rebook after inspection? I have a road trip planned at the end of the month and don't really want to delay it any more than required.
I was booked in for 21st Oct for my appointment at Digbeth Birmingham, after my inspection booking which was the 13th Sept (At Digbeth SC) - that was the earliest they had

That roof window looks off centre? Mine has similar rubber problems in that corner, but no noise probs.

I'm sure they will say that it is within spec so never bothered to raise it. I wouldn't say its a major noise problem as others mention wind noise, but just trying to see if there are any quick wins that may reduce things. Road noise is more intrusive at most speeds. I would be more concerned if I had a whistle though.

I thought mine was quite noisy as I pulled out the SC, but then I started talking and realised I didn't have to raise my voice as much as in my old car. Coming from a seat tho, not a merc or anything. I just get a gentle whoosh as the speed increases, noting intrusive even at 80. I think it just means I got a good one.

So went down to a Telsa recommended body shop today (Fastlane Paint & Body (Guildford)) for something unrelated... Had a bit of a run in with a fire extinguisher trying to park at work next to a 3 pin plug. They said they would try and get it buffed out, but couldn't. Then quoted me £1500 to respray most of the rear bumper.... This is a 2 cm scuff...

scuff.JPG

Just the deep red bit left now, the rest came off.

The also showed me a few issues with front bumper alignment and I thought, since I have some time I'll drive down to the Tesla Service center in Weybridge and make sure they know what they are in for (I got a text from them previously asking if I want an Uber because this will take one and a half hours)

This is where it gets interesting.

This body shop tells me that it will take them a week.... OK... And that Tesla uses them for stuff like that and that he will probably see me anyway... OK

So I drive down to Tesla Weybridge and park up. Lots of cars there, even an original Roadster... Quite a few Model 3s.

The girl on the front desk came out to have a look. I told her that I think this will take longer than one and a half hours and that I might need a loaner, didn't want to turn up with no loaner ready. She then told me she would speak to the service people and asked me to wait.

Then came over and said it would take a day and that they would get me a loaner. Great. I asked where will it be done and she told me they will do it all in their workshop...

Also said she'd give me a quote on the fire extinguisher mark and that they might use a different bodyshop they use for minor repairs. Confirmed they use that one I've been to, but the Ascot one, not the Guildford branch (same company).

None of this is reflected in the service appointment...

Re how long does it take, I dropped mine in for panel gaps and a paint defect and had it back the next day. The paint defect wasn't dealt with to perfection but to do any more would've meant repainting a panel so I presume that's why. It's small enough that I didn't bother to raise it again.

20191001_153734.jpg
In a similar vain. Anyone get their rear light mist up after rain like the attached photo ? Ive also got a slight misalignment on the frunk but I fiddled with those adjustments inside and it's improved that. I can still just about detect it but my kids say I'm insane. I think the car has made me a little crazy.