Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it worth it to take delivery this year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don’t forget, how much will you be spending on fuel, maintenance, and depreciation on your current ride as it will instantly be 1 year older as well when the clock turns to midnight on January 1st.

can you afford it now? And will you be able to afford it then if prices go up?

have you test driven one? I’m assuming no because you would have it by now

I'm a newbie here... I was told by a salesperson that if I ordered it today there's no guarantee that I'd get it by the end of year before the tax credit disappears. My plan now is to wait until the last few weeks of December to see if they offer incentives.

Reactions: Watts_Up
I'm a newbie here... I was told by a salesperson that if I ordered it today there's no guarantee that I'd get it by the end of year before the tax credit disappears. My plan now is to wait until the last few weeks of December to see if they offer incentives.
Are you waiting to order? Supposedly the lead time is currently 6-10 weeks. Given that Tesla tends to overpromise and underperform (strictly on a timeline basis) I would be sure to get your order in now if you have any interest in getting one before the end of the year. Given what I’ve seen in other threads, if there are end of the quarter incentives to be had around your delivery time, your SA should be able to work with you on those.

1. Tesla doesn’t do “model years”.
2. The cash / tax benefit is clear.
3. No new car is a good financial decision.
4. What is it worth to have the joy of driving a car like no other?
5. Take the “present value” cash and buy TSLA and AAPL stock. That will offset your deferred cash out savings.
6. Calculate the value of the time you’re spending obsessing over this question.
7. Marry someone who is decisive, because you’re not.
8. Chill.
9. Do whatever you want.

A Tesla is technology. Waiting will often give you better. But if you wait forever, you get nothing.

Reactions: kunzjob

Well being in California is an advantage end of quarter as Tesla will want to make as many deliveries as possible during the quarter. They don't get to book them unless they are delivered. So if it's a bad winter and it looks like deliveries to other parts are going to be delayed in transport, they will look to their fastest way to get a car delivered and that would be California. Just my two cents with us having bought two Teslas and been watching this since 2017.

BTW I assume you will qualify for the Federal Tax credit by IRS rules, otherwise the credit (not rebate) is a moot point.

Another advantage, if you care about ordering your car now, is that it will be configured as you wish. Waiting to see if there's inventory might mean you settle for something different. Works okay for some people but I have read a number of posts from people who wish they had stuck with their original favorite color, model version, etc. Nothing like spending a lot on a new car and not having it be everything you wished.

Tesla has announced FSD will be going up $1K November 1, so if that is something you want, that's also a consideration. No way to know what Tesla will do pricing wise, nor what financing rates will be if you need to go that route on your purchase.

Well this is new isn't it.
I contacted my SA yesterday
1. Tesla doesn’t do “model years”.
2. The cash / tax benefit is clear.
3. No new car is a good financial decision.
4. What is it worth to have the joy of driving a car like no other?
5. Take the “present value” cash and buy TSLA and AAPL stock. That will offset your deferred cash out savings.
6. Calculate the value of the time you’re spending obsessing over this question.
7. Marry someone who is decisive, because you’re not.
8. Chill.
9. Do whatever you want.

A Tesla is technology. Waiting will often give you better. But if you wait forever, you get nothing.
Wise words