Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Model 3 your only car?

Is the Model 3/EV your only car?

• Model 3/EV is my only car

Votes: 84 54.5%
  • I have other cars besides Model 3/EV

Votes: 70 45.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
City folk live such a different life... No way, at this point, could an EV be our only vehicle and continue to live the way we do. Renting vehicles on a whim for every random occation I want to tow, carry a load, go skiing with the family, drive 300 miles without having to plug it in for an hour is not reasonable, nor really possible. It's a great car, but for most of the geographic area in the US they are not a replacement for ICE.

Model 3 P3D+ is car #5 for me.

Other cares I currently own are Mercedes S550e, BMW i8, Audi Q5 and a Polaris Slingshot.

Was looking for a smaller sport sedan and went ahead with the Model 3. (had the usual suspects in mind... C63s, BMW M3 etc.)

City folk live such a different life... No way, at this point, could an EV be our only vehicle and continue to live the way we do. Renting vehicles on a whim for every random occation I want to tow, carry a load, go skiing with the family, drive 300 miles without having to plug it in for an hour is not reasonable, nor really possible. It's a great car, but for most of the geographic area in the US they are not a replacement for ICE.
Not all of us are in the city. I live a hundred miles from the nearest freeway, in a county with a population of 4800 and just one stoplight. So, pretty rural. I manage ok with just an EV and have made seven 2000+ mile road trips in it. Works well. I don't have any need for towing though.

EV for life!! No Compromise.

I found out why I would travel 65 mph on highway instead of 75 mph.
Because EV driving is so silky smooth and comforting, no wonder I drive at speed limit! Driving faster would kill the fun, let alone the Wh/mi.

The Roadster 2020 is my next dream car. I am addicted to Tesla and I don't know if it is a good thing or not.

Do you manage or did you change lifestyle? I took a golf trip up through the upper peninsula of MI to Wisconsin this fall with some friends... No way to do it without crazy long charge times, heck even if super charging were available at every point, I'm not wasting that much time traveling to my destination. EV is not a replacement for ICE, it is a complement at this point. If your lifestyle is such that you are not bothered wasting time charging, don't do things on a whim where you need a large, strong, long distance, roomy vehicle, fine, go EV and learn to love the compromise, but, I, for one, will not compromise to that extent to make it my only vehicle.

I wanted to go all EV (3 and Leaf) when our Rogue lease was up, but wife wasn't sold on only having one long range vehicle and she didn't want to try and rent a vehicle when needed, so we leased another Rogue and am in the process of putting the Leaf up for sale. Maybe when the Y arrives we might be able to swing it. As the SC network grows, that will also make it an easier choice. The current SC network makes long distance EV travel practical, but perhaps not preferable on some trips.

24A77233-9A18-41A7-9086-BFC6190A1EBD.jpeg
Both.... but think I could live with just a ev

• 84 Cadillac Eldorado Barritz Black
  • 66 Lincoln Continental White
  • 74 Lincoln Mark IV White
  • 2012 Lincoln Town Car White
  • 2010 Infiniti M35x Black
  • 2017 Lincoln Continental Pearl White
  • 2017 Lexus RX350 Pearl White
  • 2010 Nissan 370z Silver
  • 2014 Infiniti QX60 Maroon
  • 2008 Chrysler Sebring Hard Top Convertible Candy Apple Red
And the first EV new edition a White on White Model 3 AWD!!

We love cars and variety. The Model 3 is amazing but never will be what the 66 Lincoln or 84 Cadillac are.

I had a 75-80 mile range Spark EV as my only car for 3 years (with only 3.3 kW L2 charging so 10 miles/hr at best). The 300+ mile range with supercharge is a Godsend.

My monthly mileage has shot from 1000 to 3000.....seems odd....

I don't know how that's possible (owning just the Spark EV). When I had the Spark EV (had DCFC which was great) my other car was a Gen1 Volt for longer trips. Unless you only hangout in the Diamond Bar/Alhambra/Monterey Park area the Spark EV can't even get you to Santa Monica and back.

I wanted to go all EV (3 and Leaf) when our Rogue lease was up, but wife wasn't sold on only having one long range vehicle and she didn't want to try and rent a vehicle when needed, so we leased another Rogue and am in the process of putting the Leaf up for sale. Maybe when the Y arrives we might be able to swing it. As the SC network grows, that will also make it an easier choice. The current SC network makes long distance EV travel practical, but perhaps not preferable on some trips.

What year/mileage/trim is your Leaf?

Love the misconception by random folks.

Towing : you got me
Carry load : have you seen the capacity with seats folded down?
Skiing with family : 4 people with skis/gear comfortably.
300 miles : Range is 310.

Car is not for you / you don't like the car, that's ok. Don't go talking about stuff you clearly have no grasp on.

Back on topic : Model 3 - sole vehicle. Will never go back.

Do you manage or did you change lifestyle?
Yeah, my "lifestyle" changed. It improved because neither I or my wife spend time going to gas stations. Get in the car, go, come home, and plug-in. :p

Also, long distance day trips have become on balance easier.....on top of it being kinda mind-blowing to go on a 800 mile pleasure day-trip that costs $20 in charging. Your comment of "even if super charging were available at every point, I'm not wasting that much time traveling to my destination" is upside down of reality of traveling. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯