Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my 3 sucking juice all day to maintain 80%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can’t do a Nov & Dec 2021 to 2022 comparison because the electrical company had estimated read in Nov 21, then swapped out our meter in Dec 2021.

Oct 2022 1,320 kWh
Nov 2022 1,426 kWh (her gone 10 days)
Dec 2022 1,472 kWh (with her being gone 3ish weeks and me gone 2 weeks)

My charging habit is get home, pull into garage, plug car in to start recharging immediately. My energy company doesn’t have cheaper rates at night, so I don’t have any charging schedule set up. I do activate the climate control (70° inside with my seat on medium and steering wheel heated) before heading using the car.

The monthly charging per the app doesn’t show daily draws from the grid. But if there’s a small “maintenance draw” to keep the car at 80%, without actually charging the car, then $2 a day means $60 a month…it adds up. We pay about $0.11 per kWh.

I have no external apps downloaded. I enjoy the preheating from the house, then mashing the pedal to the floor to go forward. Listen to Spotify on the road. I will check on her “sleeping” while I’m working around in the garage. But. If Dec 2022 shows $14 in charging costs and I had 1,472 kWh used at the house, maybe I’m burning electricity somewhere I don’t know. I’m buying a handful of outlet monitors that I’ll be connecting to various appliances. I was really thinking it had to be the car, since we were gone 2-3 weeks out of December, yet burned more electricity than ever.
View attachment 900061View attachment 900062View attachment 900063

I have a work rig during the week and a dually that gets driven now and again, which is why I don’t drive the Tesla a whole lot. In fact, I’m under 5k miles since delivery in Feb 2022.

I highly recommend the Emporia Vue to monitor your energy use on multiple circuits in the house. I used a cheap clamp-on ammeter to determine which circuits would be best to monitor, and the Vue gives you 8 to 16 possible inputs to look at.

For a 2 EV household, we find that charging represents about 25% of our Electricity use for the year.
Air conditioning and furnace HVAC represent about 25% of our electricity use... We have gas heat and hot water.
Refrigerator and Chest Freezer about 10%

This leaves 40% for everything else. Surprisingly, that 40% of our bill remains relatively constant year round - a little more in winter and less in summer.

The HVAC costs are highly variable and relatively high cost. We've put in Ecobee smart thermostats to try and identify savings opportunities there.

I just wanted to provide some reference numbers - everyones will be different. If there are any similarities, you'll find that the car isn't really making an outsized difference, and that things like your HVAC system could be the surprise electricity hog.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl and KenC
Somewhat related, I got my new registration fees. Two EV-specific road use fees, $150 and $75. I get that this rig needs to pay into the roads system since I’m not paying gas taxes, but state gas taxes are roughly $0.47 a gallon.
Yep, several states have had some false starts with trying to figure out where to set those fees just from ignorance and not understanding in the state legislatures or simply numbers, where they figure they can get away with sticking it to the EV drivers because they're such a tiny minority. Here in Idaho, when they first created the EV registration fee, it was $400 per year! That was multiples more than what our Honda Civic would be paying in gas tax. That didn't last very long, and they did get pressure and reduced it to some more normal figure less than $200 (forget how much now exactly).

Assuming you’re at about 290 miles or so at 100% on a 2018 dual motor, that is 71kWh. But it is 20% of 95.5% of this value, or 13.6kWh.

Over 49 days, 1176 hours, that is 11.5W on average.

Seems about right. (276Wh/day, slightly more than one displayed rated mile per day for your vehicle)

I'm at 275 rated miles at 100%. I figure around 65 kWh usable.

I'll second the recommendation for an Emporia Vue. It's a handy energy monitoring system. Our Tesla is using 14% of our energy in an all-electric house... 373 kWh out of 2638 kWh so far in January.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
So 11W average.
I guess I should clarify this is not including charging losses. Depending on the setup, the actual effect on the electric bill will be more like a 12-13W load.

It’s substantially improved vs. 2018/2019. Not clear what exactly they addressed (whether it is just more sleep time, or whether they lowered sleep consumption a bit).

Reactions: AAKEE
Following up. We figured out the draw. I have electric heated floors in the kitchen and the two full baths. We generally run the house temp at 68-70° and floors at 74° (I like feeling the warmth on my AP are feet). When we are away for more than a few days, we drop the HAVC thermostat to 55°F (gas furnace). Never even crosssed our minds to drop the floor temps. Well, the floors had to overcompensate for cold house. The 3 floors sucked up over 900 kWH of the 1,400 in Dec. They normally draw about 300 kWh a month. Lesson learned.🤦‍♂️

I did get 4 of the Emporia outlets and they’ll be getting out to use this week.

I have electric heated floors in the kitchen and the two full baths.

Yeah, that would do it!

Heated floors are awesome. Just be glad your electricity is super cheap!

Try $0.80/kWh from 4-9PM from June through October. And $0.45/kWh for the cheap off-peak rate in winter. Lol.

And $4-$5 per therm for gas or so, lol. Ridiculous. Looking forward to my $600 gas bill.

Following up. We figured out the draw. I have electric heated floors in the kitchen and the two full baths. We generally run the house temp at 68-70° and floors at 74° (I like feeling the warmth on my AP are feet). When we are away for more than a few days, we drop the HAVC thermostat to 55°F (gas furnace). Never even crosssed our minds to drop the floor temps. Well, the floors had to overcompensate for cold house. The 3 floors sucked up over 900 kWH of the 1,400 in Dec. They normally draw about 300 kWh a month. Lesson learned.🤦‍♂️

I did get 4 of the Emporia outlets and they’ll be getting out to use this week.

Have you gone out and apologized to the car for blaming it yet? :)