Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is MY Demand down in US because people are waiting for restoration of the federal tax credit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a short range RWD MY on Jan 14. At the time the website said to expect delivery in February. However, a few days later Tesla phoned to say i could take deliver the next day. I said that was too early. But this week i am ready and have delivery scheduled for Friday Jan 29. Bit surprised that multiple cars are available this soon, but it may be because demand is temporarily down? I am retired with minimal income, so a tax credit doesnt do me much good. But the typical MY buyer has substantial income and can really use that $7500 credit. And we all are hoping such a credit (or some other amount) should be forthcoming later this year. So, if I were a typical buyer, i would be waiting for that tax credit! Of course, there may be some kind of car price limit on the credit, but i suspect the short range RWD would qualify for a substantial credit. What do you all think? Are any of you waiting for the credit?

Reactions: Fuddinator
No. The tax credit is not coming “back” (it never went away. Tesla simply sold their allotment of vehicles.)

And I’m hoping this is a typo.

But the typical MY buyer has substantial income and can really use that $7500 credit.

No one is going to cast a vote to subsidize expensive vehicles for rich people in this political climate. Nor should they.

Tesla customers who waited for MY for years and previous Tesla owners already got their cars so Tesla cant count anymore on those people.

Regular people still think Tesla cost a lot of money.
If you add bad word of mouth about Tesla service department things are not looking good.

Our co-worker is waiting 3 weeks for Tesla to fix her car. She is driving rental now (self pay). All people in our company know now what they can expect if purchased Tesla.

It will be interesting to see Tesla sales for this first quarter and beyond.
Drop in price would help.

No. The tax credit is not coming “back” (it never went away. Tesla simply sold their allotment of vehicles.)

And I’m hoping this is a typo.

No one is going to cast a vote to subsidize expensive vehicles for rich people in this political climate. Nor should they.
You have way more faith in the system than I. I would not be surprised to see it come back.

I suspect they pulled a lot of business into the 4Q with the Supercharging and FSD 3 month-for-free offers. As far as the SR RWD is concerned, I suspect they may have built a bunch of those early this month, since there was a large contingent of folks who had LR RWD orders since Day One, thinking they might prefer the 'RWD' part more than the 'LR' part. I also think that's why the SR has the Premium interior (even though they reduced the Premium connectivity trial to 30 days) - as an additional temptation to fulfill those orders.

Tesla customers who waited for MY for years and previous Tesla owners already got their cars so Tesla cant count anymore on those people.

Regular people still think Tesla cost a lot of money.
If you add bad word of mouth about Tesla service department things are not looking good.

Our co-worker is waiting 3 weeks for Tesla to fix her car. She is driving rental now (self pay). All people in our company know now what they can expect if purchased Tesla.

It will be interesting to see Tesla sales for this first quarter and beyond.
Drop in price would help.
Why your co-worker have to self-pay the rental? Doesn't Tesla give uber credits or rental if something is fixed under warranty? (unless it wasn't??)

Reactions: tstolze and jsight
Why your co-worker have to self-pay the rental? Doesn't Tesla give uber credits or rental if something is fixed under warranty? (unless it wasn't??)

Absolutely not.

She has 3 kids so uber is not an option and i think she is renting a car with some discount trough Tesla but still will pay a lot from out of pocket.

Our service center used to have loaners but not anymore

Congrats on the fast delivery schedule!

It's pretty awesome that delivery is super quick. I saw on pinned thread that people are getting their cars in ~ 1 week for Bay Area, CA. I was about to order, but I don't want to take delivery during the rain storms. So just waiting until the weather clears up for me. I don't expect tax credits to comeback, but if it does come back this year, I think it would apply retroactively to 2021.

Reactions: Itsuo-DC and Wilber
Isn't there a normal seasonal decrease in sales of a lot of things (including but not limited to cars) in January? People get their credit card bills after spending too much through the holiday season and tend to cut back on discretionary spending and/or delay purchases a bit until they recover. Obviously if you need a new vehicle or desire one strongly enough you'll buy anyway, but if you still have one that's functioning you may decide to wait a little.

Reactions: house9 and tstolze
Absolutely not.

She has 3 kids so uber is not an option and i think she is renting a car with some discount trough Tesla but still will pay a lot from out of pocket.

Our service center used to have loaners but not anymore

Uh, I currently have a Model S loaner from the San Diego service center. I don't think they issue in every case, but I had a long term repair.

Congrats on the fast delivery schedule!

It's pretty awesome that delivery is super quick. I saw on pinned thread that people are getting their cars in ~ 1 week for Bay Area, CA. I was about to order, but I don't want to take delivery during the rain storms. So just waiting until the weather clears up for me. I don't expect tax credits to comeback, but if it does come back this year, I think it would apply retroactively to 2021.
Pied - Yes, i do hope if it comes back it will be retroactive to Jan 1! For those who doubt it will come back - have you been paying attention to the news stories about Biden's very agressive clean energy plan?. At the moment it does include restoration of tax credit for those automakers that used up their 200k allotment (GM and Tesla). I dont want to get into politics, but based on what i am reading there is a pretty decent chance that Tesla will get the tax credit back. But, will likely be limited to the cheaper models.

Isn't there a normal seasonal decrease in sales of a lot of things (including but not limited to cars) in January? People get their credit card bills after spending too much through the holiday season and tend to cut back on discretionary spending and/or delay purchases a bit until they recover. Obviously if you need a new vehicle or desire one strongly enough you'll buy anyway, but if you still have one that's functioning you may decide to wait a little.

I believe the entire 1st Quarter is typically slow for automotive sales.