Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Net Metering a Must in Texas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another Houston-area person here... Our system is 16.3kW (48 350W panels) with 4 Powerwalls (so very similar to @bob_p )... Our install was in late June, and we're still waiting for PTO from CenterPoint (its at the CenterPoint inspection stage, so hopefully soon...). But we've been disconnecting from the grid most nearly every day (all except a couple very rainy days and while we were on vacation in July).

While we were waiting for install, I did a bunch of modeling using the Smart Meter Texas data (although we had less than a year of data so had to estimate a few months -- new construction house that we moved into in July 2020). @bob_p was also kind enough to respond to a few questions I had on plans -- and after reading his posts and doing analysis, we decided to select a free nights plan instead of a NEM plan. We selected a different plan that has the free night period from 8pm to 6am -- but it modeled better with our usage pattern than a free night plan that had 9pm to 9am from a different provider.

In our case, we expect the solar to generate ~82% of our estimated annual usage (again, we didn't have a full year of data, but we did have Aug-May data). Looking back, the estimate I did for June/July was slightly high -- but close enough. Our prior contract expired in mid Jun -- and we went ahead and moved to a free nights plan about a week before the install. We also had an issue with one of the inverters, which Tesla replaced in late July.

What we are seeing so far matches the modeling we did. We expect to only pay the minimum grid connect charge (currently $4.39 with CenterPoint) each month, with the only on-peak charges happening if there is a Storm Watch event that needs to charge the PowerWalls during the peak period (which would cost ~$8 for a ~80% charge). I've already enabled the Cost Savings mode and put in the on-peak/off-peak times into the Tesla app, and the Gateway has not been pulling from the grid during peak periods with the backup reserve set to 25%. If this holds, I would expect our annual grid bills to be ~$75 annually (which assumes a little on-peak grid draw, but most of the bill is the minimum charge).

I also did another a comparison with one of the NEM plans a week or so ago (Tesla was asking if we were going to use their co-branded MP2 NEM plan or not). Since our system is expected to generate ~82% of our usage, we would expect to pull around 4,000 kWh from the grid per year. The NEM plans I reviewed for Texas do not have TOU rates, and some of the EFL info ("Electricity Facts Label" -- what the regulator requires each power provider to publish so consumers can better compare rate plans) was very hard to decipher (the MP2 plan for example may not even comply with the law -- it did not specify how to calculate a bill or show anything other than the average rate)... Some of the NEM plans purchase back at the combined generation + delivery charge, while others only cover the generation charge. Most of them also cap the generation credit at your total usage on a monthly basis (so you would never be in a net credit scenario). So you really will need to do your homework on comparing these plans. But assuming you pick one that buys and sells at the combined rate, it still means we would have a net draw. These plans are currently around $0.11-0.12 per kWh and most have a monthly fixed fee around $10 which means that purchasing 4,000 kWh annually would result in annual charges of around $600. That's "only" $50 per month, but that's still nearly 10x what we expect our bill to be using the free nights plan.

I fully expect these free nights plans to eventually not allow solar customers, but for now we have one. Contract runs to June 15 next year...

One other note -- the power providers change pricing all the time. The pricing we have on our plan was locked in June for 12 months. But looking up the plan we are on now, the on-peak price is about 10 cents higher (ours has a combined rate just under 19 cents/kWh, and its now 28 point something... I've heard that the best times to price plans in TX are in the fall/spring shoulder periods -- so if you have flexibility on when you start a plan, that may be a good idea...

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder
Very informative! Thank you both! I’m currently waiting on PTO with an included transformer upgrade from Centerpoint. I’ve been watching the app on and off but haven’t set the power walls to below 100%. I’d hate to feed back to the grid during this part of the process.

That Texas rate of $.20 for daytime and zero for nighttime or others at $.11-$.12 sound like bargains! In Northern California PG&E territory, the EV2 rate is $.49781 from 4-9pm, $.18530 from midnight to 3pm, and $.38732 for the shoulder periods in between.

@ZBB @bob_p another Houston resident here and a same-ish configuration of 4 PW and 48 panels. I honestly did not look into the free nights and after reading your views I would have to look at the numbers closely and maybe change providers.
We have only had our system up and running a month and a 1/2 with Green Mountain.
We use our PW for backup only as we have power outages when there is just enough rain (we had no power for a week during snowmageddon!)

I am building a new house in Houston soon and plan to have solar panels and 4 PWs as well.
One of the things we are curious is if Tesla can size up your panels if you request a larger system.
When i order solar roof, they quote me a 32kw system and the solar panel can only go up to 17 kw.
I have 2 EV and 3 by the time the house is done so I need to calculate the number of PWs and solar size so i can be as close to 100% offset as possible.

That Texas rate of $.20 for daytime and zero for nighttime or others at $.11-$.12 sound like bargains! In Northern California PG&E territory, the EV2 rate is $.49781 from 4-9pm, $.18530 from midnight to 3pm, and $.38732 for the shoulder periods in between.
The rates are higher in SVal, but the amount of electricity you need may be considerably less. We own property in Texas and California and compared to the Bay Area, the Austin house's power usage is huge.

Dallas 8kw panels and 2 pw here. Got pto sept 2020. Started with net metering (mp2) which was a fine plan. However, June 2021 got model y and model x so usage went up a lot. I jumped to free nights 9 pm to 9 am. Have only used grid during prime time 3-5%. Definitely saving money maybe will or be as good during winter but I use a lot less power with no ac.

I fully expect these free nights plans to eventually not allow solar customers, but for now we have one. Contract runs to June 15 next year...
I am also in Houston with Tesla installing our 12.24kW / 3 PW system today and tomorrow.

Which company did you end up going with?

Pulse Power has a 36 month 8pm to 6am free nights plan at $.0123/kWh + delivery charge. I agree that I don't see these TOU plans staying around much longer for solar customers and am wondering if I would be better off committing to the 3 years.

I ran the numbers compared to Direct Energy's 9pm - 9am free nights plan using my TexasSmartMeter data, and this Pulse plan works out much better.

I also have no idea about how to "disconnect from the grid" while we wait for our PTO. Is this pretty simple to do?

Flip main breaker so it’s simulated power outage or maybe you can hit go off grid button in app now days.
Don’t forget timeshifting your power use with powerwalls will throw off some of your calculated simulations. I thought maximum duration of free energy out weighed any possible difference in kWh cost.

Reactions: mully
@ZBB @bob_p another Houston resident here and a same-ish configuration of 4 PW and 48 panels. I honestly did not look into the free nights and after reading your views I would have to look at the numbers closely and maybe change providers.
We have only had our system up and running a month and a 1/2 with Green Mountain.
We use our PW for backup only as we have power outages when there is just enough rain (we had no power for a week during snowmageddon!)
I am also in Houston with Tesla installing our 12.24kW / 3 PW system today and tomorrow.

Which company did you end up going with?

Pulse Power has a 36 month 8pm to 6am free nights plan at $.0123/kWh + delivery charge. I agree that I don't see these TOU plans staying around much longer for solar customers and am wondering if I would be better off committing to the 3 years.

I ran the numbers compared to Direct Energy's 9pm - 9am free nights plan using my TexasSmartMeter data, and this Pulse plan works out much better.

I also have no idea about how to "disconnect from the grid" while we wait for our PTO. Is this pretty simple to do?
We are on Green Mountain's free nights plan (@2tall3ne - you may be able to switch plans with Green Mountain without penalty, although check the rates on the free nights plan -- they went up since we purchased in June and I'm not sure if they have come back down yet since I last checked in early August). The free period is 8pm to 6am -- even though its shorter than some of the other plans (some are 9p to 9a...), we figured it worked well based on our usage...

@mully One thing to note about Direct's free night plans is that you still pay the delivery charge for energy draw at night. With Green Mountain's plan, there is no delivery charge during the free nights period. With CenterPoint, that's only ~3.4 cents per kWh though...

As for disconnecting from the grid, I was flipping breakers each day, but now that the app has an option, I'm using that -- just need to tap it shortly after solar starts producing and go back on grid just before sunset...

We are on Green Mountain's free nights plan (@2tall3ne - you may be able to switch plans with Green Mountain without penalty, although check the rates on the free nights plan -- they went up since we purchased in June and I'm not sure if they have come back down yet since I last checked in early August). The free period is 8pm to 6am -- even though its shorter than some of the other plans (some are 9p to 9a...), we figured it worked well based on our usage...

@mully One thing to note about Direct's free night plans is that you still pay the delivery charge for energy draw at night. With Green Mountain's plan, there is no delivery charge during the free nights period. With CenterPoint, that's only ~3.4 cents per kWh though...

As for disconnecting from the grid, I was flipping breakers each day, but now that the app has an option, I'm using that -- just need to tap it shortly after solar starts producing and go back on grid just before sunset...
Thank you! Great to know that there is an option in the app now.

I just spoke to the electrician who is installing our Powerwalls. He said he will walk me through the process, also. Unfortunately, I am not going to produce enough electricity to make it through an entire day with our hot August / September days here in Houston, so it may end up being more work than it is worth for me other than playing around with it when I have some free time. :)

Thank you! Great to know that there is an option in the app now.

I just spoke to the electrician who is installing our Powerwalls. He said he will walk me through the process, also. Unfortunately, I am not going to produce enough electricity to make it through an entire day with our hot August / September days here in Houston, so it may end up being more work than it is worth for me other than playing around with it when I have some free time. :)
Why do you need an entire day? Now, if one has the money, and can get the batteries, great, but personally I would put the money into the max solar I could get

Why do you need an entire day? Now, if one has the money, and can get the batteries, great, but personally I would put the money into the max solar I could get
I am curious to see how much of my energy I will end up offsetting. Based on my estimates using PVWatts, I should produce about 50kWh/day in September while my average usage for last September was 100kWh/day.

The good news is that I used about 70kWh/day between the hours of 6am and 8pm last year and I think that was with charging my Model X quite a bit during those hours. I am hoping to offset quite a bit more by only charging at night along with some other small changes which should make a TOU plan very appealing.

However, disconnecting from the grid for long period probably would be dicey.

I am curious to see how much of my energy I will end up offsetting. Based on my estimates using PVWatts, I should produce about 50kWh/day in September while my average usage for last September was 100kWh/day.

The good news is that I used about 70kWh/day between the hours of 6am and 8pm last year and I think that was with charging my Model X quite a bit during those hours. I am hoping to offset quite a bit more by only charging at night along with some other small changes which should make a TOU plan very appealing.

However, disconnecting from the grid for long period probably would be dicey.

be aware that physically disconnecting from the grid will limit your max home usage to 15 kw (3 powerwalls) plus any solar output. You probably won’t have a problem, but where it could get dicey is after the sun goes down and before you reconnect for your free nights. If you have multiple ac units, plus cooking dinner, clothes dryer, etc

Thanks for reminding me to look at the delivery charges. Pulse Power does still charge the delivery fee during their "Free Nights".

It looks like Direct Energy has the best deal right now. The daytime rates are about the same as Green Mountain with 2 more hours of free nights. I can also lock in for 24 months.

Reactions: ZBB
I am building a new house in Houston soon and plan to have solar panels and 4 PWs as well.
One of the things we are curious is if Tesla can size up your panels if you request a larger system.
When i order solar roof, they quote me a 32kw system and the solar panel can only go up to 17 kw.
I have 2 EV and 3 by the time the house is done so I need to calculate the number of PWs and solar size so i can be as close to 100% offset as possible.
Yes they will size up if you want.

Thanks @ZBB. I’ll definitely look into it.

Reactions: ZBB