Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Pano roof absolute requirement for roof rack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,
First post to this awesome forum. I have gleaned so much information from this enthusiastic crowd, hopefully I will be in a position to give some back at some point. I plan on ordering an S70D (or perhaps 90D) soon and am trying to decide the last details. I have several questions but will look to put them in separate posts where it makes sense.

I would like to have the ability to mount a roof rack so we have a convenient way to carry our snow skis up to the mountains, but I have read that you must have the pano roof to make that happen. I would much prefer to get the solid roof. Is anyone aware of another option (perhaps 3rd party?) for getting a ski rack mounted on the roof? If not the roof, how about a hitch mounted option or something similar?

Thanks,
Wuggado?

You have to have the pano roof because the rack mounting provisions are integrated in the pano assembly. The solid roof does not have those. Don't have a picture handy, but if you look at the pano roof, you will see 4 little covers at the corners towards the edge of the roof. The rack mounts are under those covers.

You have to have the pano roof because the rack mounting provisions are integrated in the pano assembly. The solid roof does not have those. Don't have a picture handy, but if you look at the pano roof, you will see 4 little covers at the corners towards the edge of the roof. The rack mounts are under those covers.

Yeah, I've seen those covers. To tell the truth I was kinda hoping someone would come along and say that they know of a ski rack that will mount just fine with the solid roof. I seem to remember a friend some years ago having a rack that reached over the roof and grabbed ahold of the window frame. That rig certainly wasn't the most elegant, but perhaps something more elegant has come along since then.

As for the pano roof, I don't hate the idea of getting it. It's just that of the last 2 cars I got a moonroof on:
  1. One developed a rattle in the sliding mechanism that opens it and the only way to silence the rattle was to keep the sunscreen slider closed at all times (very much defeating the purpose of the moonroof/sunroof).
  2. The other developed a wind noise leak at freeway speeds, with the only way to silence it being to keep the sunscreen slider closed at all times (very much defeating the purpose of the moonroof/sunroof).
Looking out past the warranty period, I can easily imagine the pano roof also developing a similar malady at some point.

Thanks,
Wuggado?

The MS only comes with the mounts on the pano version. I would think that a good suction cup setup could work. But I cringe at the idea of scratches to my finish. That tells you a lot about me!

I have had my car with pano for 19 months and not one peep out of it at all. I am in central coast CA... I have read about some problems with early models. But I have read nothing about any issues since late 2014. It's really well built.

It may take time for the good rack MFRs to build something for the MS, since the volumes are still quite low.

The notion of using suction cups scares me a bit, especially in extreme weather, but will keep it in mind.

Thanks,
Wuggado?

I'll vouch for seasuckers...I have a set for my bike for my previous ICE (BMW M6, with a carbon fiber roof) and I drove my car just as hard with the bike on top. I am not planning on buying the roof rack for my Tesla unless I do something other than biking that would require a roof rack (and can't fit with the seats down).

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Yeah, I've seen those covers. To tell the truth I was kinda hoping someone would come along and say that they know of a ski rack that will mount just fine with the solid roof. I seem to remember a friend some years ago having a rack that reached over the roof and grabbed ahold of the window frame. That rig certainly wasn't the most elegant, but perhaps something more elegant has come along since then.

As for the pano roof, I don't hate the idea of getting it. It's just that of the last 2 cars I got a moonroof on:
  1. One developed a rattle in the sliding mechanism that opens it and the only way to silence the rattle was to keep the sunscreen slider closed at all times (very much defeating the purpose of the moonroof/sunroof).
  2. The other developed a wind noise leak at freeway speeds, with the only way to silence it being to keep the sunscreen slider closed at all times (very much defeating the purpose of the moonroof/sunroof).
Looking out past the warranty period, I can easily imagine the pano roof also developing a similar malady at some point.

Thanks,
Wuggado?
Back in my college days, I had a Yakima rack that did just as you mention about grabbing the part of the roof in the door jam. This was on a Chevy Cavalier (no laughing lol). The issue with the S though is that the door glass if frameless, so when closed the glass needs to seal against the door gasket. This type of rack mount won't work unfortunately.

Probably not ideal, but will skis fit in the back with the rear seats folded down?

Back in my college days, I had a Yakima rack that did just as you mention about grabbing the part of the roof in the door jam. This was on a Chevy Cavalier (no laughing lol). The issue with the S though is that the door glass if frameless, so when closed the glass needs to seal against the door gasket. This type of rack mount won't work unfortunately.

Probably not ideal, but will skis fit in the back with the rear seats folded down?

It looks like the skis probably would fit with the rear seats folded, but the kids would not. Maybe I should really be asking whether anyone is experiencing the problems with the pano roof that I have seen on other cars with moonroofs.

I got pano roof for the rack mounts, but loss in range means roof rack is not realistic for me because of the additional drag. Worst of all conditions already. Cold, snow, mountains, highway. I think if it does not affect you, you live in a lucky place for skiers.

If you care about your warranty: Pano-roof the way to go.

If you don't care about your warranty: Anything is possible if you are willing to learn the necessary mechanical engineering and/or have access to the right FEA software... otherwise befriend a mechanical engineer.

It looks like the skis probably would fit with the rear seats folded, but the kids would not. Maybe I should really be asking whether anyone is experiencing the problems with the pano roof that I have seen on other cars with moonroofs.

I too had reservations about the pano roof for the same reasons the OP mentioned (rattles + rarely opened due wind noise), but I got one anyway. I open, tilt and close it all the time (10 months now) with no problems and no rattles. Not sorry I got it.

Don't let your past govern your future...

Brent

Sage advice, perhaps. Since I tend to keep cars well past the warranty period I find myself trying to think out that far as to what could go wrong that may be expensive (or impossible) to fix. For that same reason, I am leaning toward not getting the air suspension.

That is also the reason I abandoned my original plan to get a Model X, as those falcon wing doors just scream future nightmare to me (and not just because many are having current nightmares with them).

I have put a canoe on my non pano S using foam blocks.
It is true that the skin of the roof is very flimsy, but if you lightly press you can feel where there is structure.
I would have no problem with sea suckers for skiis.
For a canoe you could use sea suckers to make a platform and then tie the canoe down, such that the sea sucker are not actually holding the canoe down, just mating the two surfaces.

image.jpeg
Just get the pano roof, it's awesome. Then you can throw the whispbars up there with an aerodynamic box and you're all set. This one will hold 190s.