Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is parking outdoors in California heat bad for the battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings

Is there any info on the negative effects on battery life from parking a Tesla in a desert climate where it reaches 105 for a few months?

I live part time in Indian Wells where temps got to 115 last week ;)...in over five years and 3 Tesla’s never noticed an issue ..the BMS will coo battery down if needed so I wouldn’t worry to much

...Is there any info on the negative effects on battery life from parking a Tesla in a desert climate where it reaches 105 for a few months?

As long as you've got enough battery and the ambient temperature is between -22F and 140F, you are fine.

That's because your main battery pack has its own thermoregulated system to make sure the pack's temperature is at acceptable range even when it's not driving for months.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
Parking for a few months at 105F unplugged is not recommended.

Parsing the sentence the other way, parking daily in a desert that sometimes reaches 105F shouldn't have any ill effects - the car will actively cool the pack below ambient temperatures when needed (which will eat a little bit of extra energy.)

Greetings

Is there any info on the negative effects on battery life from parking a Tesla in a desert climate where it reaches 105 for a few months?
Can you keep it plugged in while it is parked? The BMS is going to use energy to keep the battery from getting too hot. So if you are not plugged in you will lose range.

Keep it plugged in and the car will be okay.

Elevated temperature isn't good for almost everything. It accelerates nearly all chemical reactions including the ones that age and discharge a battery, degrade the paint, promote electronic failure etc. I'd try to get it out of the sun at least.