Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla giving away its competitive edge with opening SCs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Matias

Apr 2, 2014
Finland
What do you think? Is Tesla giving away its competitive edge with opening SCs to other cars?

I personally think that SC network is Tesla’s biggest benefit compared to other electric cars.

Last edited:
I think its a form of immersion learning for others. Get the Tesla adapter when it comes out. Charge next to Tesla's. Talk to Tesla owners. Become friends with Tesla owners. Become a Tesla owner.

If I was an OEM I would cringe at the Idea of another brand charging my product. On the other hand I might not have a choice to give an owner a positive charging experience. Sorry I don't call the other networks positive or reliable.

I think this is a huge mistake. Got my model three in February 2020. Covid locked everything up shortly after that. Now that things have loosened up a bit the wife and I have taken three road trips. Never had a single second of range anxiety during each trip. I did notice that the superchargers seemed to get more crowded with each trip. One of the main reasons I decided on a Tesla was the proprietary supercharger network. My nightmare is to cruise into a supercharger station and see rows of other EVs clogging things up.

You can argue it either way but ultimately, opening the SCs is on point for the mission.
.. and Elon and his folks are not born of the last rain - they'll advance the mission AND Tesla's growth as well. Free marketing if there were any- remember also Tesla's plans to open restaurants/ lounges (taking a hint from Nio in China). Alleviates in a positive way that annoying feature, a small fraction of Tesla owners revert to ICE's re the inconvenience of longish charging.

I'm all in favor. It sounds to me like an income stream from the other 60-80% of the market that Tesla won't be addressing (I'm assuming that Tesla will achieve a monumentally huge market share like 20% - roughly 2x what any other car maker has these days. Maybe 30%).

AND advancing the mission, and generating some free marketing from the other owners spending time around Tesla owners.

A clear consequence is going to be the need for a big increase in the rate of SC buildout. That'll mean better options wherever you are.