Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla going to release GPS auto pilot by the end of the year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My daily commute is only within the city, drive less than 8000 miles/year. I am very much looking forward to the GPS auto pilot coming (auto pilot following the GPS direction), is it going to be the end of the year or later?

My daily commute is only within the city, drive less than 8000 miles/year. I am very much looking forward to the GPS auto pilot coming (auto pilot following the GPS direction), is it going to be the end of the year or later?

It's called Navigation on Autopilot that has been active for quite a while

Tesla does use GPS for direction (when to move to a freeway interchange and when to exit) but not for each lane precision (such as when the snow covers the lane markings, GPS can relocate your car to the correct lane in other companies' system. Tesla uses available drive path system so eventually it won't need any lane at all!)

That means while others cannot do the below because they rely on GPS and mapping precision, Tesla can:

Driveable through perpetual road constructions in Bakersfield CA-99, Los Angeles I-5 and I-405... such as the temporarily driving south on a northbound portion of I-5 at Six Flags Magic Mountain (you can see the North-bound road sign is pointed correctly for the opposite direction).

Remember Tesla Autopilot is still in its beta mode so what it means is it is not ready for general release due to many limitations.

But if you are disciplined enough to monitor system, it's have been very fun and safe for me for more than past 2 years!

it may just be a terminology confusion.
Tesla don't have anything called GPS auto pilot, maybe if you expand on what you mean by that phrase.
GPS doesn't set direction it just provides current location coordinates.

Tesla will route and know where it is at based upon GPS, but Elon has indicated that it won't use high-precision GPS to drive. Easiest reason is that vision solves the problem, high-precision GPS doesn't. Just like you, you can drive without GPS using your two cameras.

...will be released in a couple of months? I am in TX, maybe it's slower implementation than CA?

Maybe he meant:

"Coming later this year:
  • Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs.
  • Automatic driving on city streets."

Those are the only 2 features scheduled for later this year.

Texans have been able to do:

AutopilotIncluded
  • Enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically for other vehicles and pedestrians within its lane.
Full Self-Driving Capability
  • Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.
  • Auto Lane Change: automatic lane changes while driving on the highway.
  • Autopark: both parallel and perpendicular spaces.
and the one below is only for Early Access Program Owners currently:
  • Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.

Yes, those are the 2 features I am looking for:

• Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs.
  • Automatic driving on city streets."

Good luck on Tesla's time.

It'll be nice if Tesla can meet the deadline but Tesla has consistently made unattainable deadlines in order to motivate its workers so they can hurry up and work faster!