Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla Sales Rep "Full of it"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stopped into my Bellevue WA Tesla store yesterday to see if I could score an unscheduled MS test drive, with my friend who I'm trying to convince to buy a Tesla. Couldn't get a test ride, but spent over 30 minutes talking to rep.
He shared some things I wasn't aware, but am skeptical of his validity, although he did add it wasn't official. (he's a salesmen after all, so everything taken with a grain of salt). He indicated (unofficial) the following:
1. The recently cleared space in the showroom was for a Model 3 (MS chassis displayed in that space a week before).
2. A Model 3 would be available at this store for test drives in August.
3. The base Model 3 will be rated at 245 mile range.

I've heard on this forum that the above is possible but he triggered my B.S. detector when I ask what the base battery would be and he said 75kW. If it is, it would surely erode any profit on the M3, and range better be more than 245 mi.

Now I'm not sure I can believe anything he said even though he has been with Tesla for years.

Guess we'll all find out tomorrow evening.

You're right it's hard to say. I was at the South Lake Union store (Seattle) 3 weeks ago for a test drive myself and the lady I spoke to did not know when the Model 3 would hit their showroom, or even when they did get a car in if they'd use it for test drives or just for people to sit in and get a feel of the car (since there were so many people that will want to at least see one in person)

I don't' doubt a 75kw will be available and soon (maybe right away) but I doubt it'll be the base. That being said,

GIVE ME A PLEASANT SURPRISE FOR ONCE ELON!!! PLEASE!!!!

Stopped into my Bellevue WA Tesla store yesterday to see if I could score an unscheduled MS test drive, with my friend who I'm trying to convince to buy a Tesla. Couldn't get a test ride, but spent over 30 minutes talking to rep.
He shared some things I wasn't aware, but am skeptical of his validity, although he did add it wasn't official. (he's a salesmen after all, so everything taken with a grain of salt). He indicated (unofficial) the following:
1. The recently cleared space in the showroom was for a Model 3 (MS chassis displayed in that space a week before).

I've heard on this forum that the above is possible but he triggered my B.S. detector when I ask what the base battery would be and he said 75kW. If it is, it would surely erode any profit on the M3, and range better be more than 245 mi.

Now I'm not sure I can believe anything he said even though he has been with Tesla for years.

Usually it's wise to be skeptical of any sales person because usually they're just trying to get a sale.

But what possible reason would this sales person have to say the above, other than to share what he's been told (and probably through rumor)? He's not trying to close a deal with you - to the contrary, everything he told you screams 'wait for the 3!'. If he were trying to sell you an S now, and was willing to lie, he'd have said a bunch of negative things about the 3. "Won't see it for a long time, worthless small battery', etc.

But there's just no reason to accuse this salesperson of purposely lying to you. If he did, he's the worst sales person EVER. :)

yup - full of it. Most of these reps have less info than you and I.

1) ok, maybe they cleared space for a model 3
2) why are you going to produce model 3's for test drives when you have 400k orders? Yes, it needs to be done eventually, but the ramp up plan was 30, 100, 1500 (iirc). Your store is going to get one of the first 130 M3s to have for people to look at?
3) guy is FOS. (imo).

Reactions: DurandalAI
Usually it's wise to be skeptical of any sales person because usually they're just trying to get a sale.

But what possible reason would this sales person have to say the above, other than to share what he's been told (and probably through rumor)? He's not trying to close a deal with you - to the contrary, everything he told you screams 'wait for the 3!'. If he were trying to sell you an S now, and was willing to lie, he'd have said a bunch of positive things.

But there's just no reason to accuse this salesperson of purposely lying to you. If he did, he's the worst sales person EVER. :)
I vote for "passing on unsubstantiated rumors" as the worst he could be accused of.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the RC cars showed up as models in the showrooms relatively soon but I wouldn't expect them to be available for test drives. Numerous RCs have been spotted all around the United States and in many countries all around the world. Sure, they aren't necessarily an exact match to what will be produced but they would be close enough to display them in the stores and give reservation holders a better idea of what they are waiting for. They will also help drum up even more orders.

Last edited:
I'd say all three may be correct.
Since it's the West coast it's entirely possible they may get a showroom car and a test drive car sooner rather than later and that as sales move East so will distribution of showroom and demo cars. I agree with others too, that he confused "base" with first produced since if he's right about the base range of 245 there is no way a 75kWh battery only gets that much range.

2) why are you going to produce model 3's for test drives when you have 400k orders? Yes, it needs to be done eventually, but the ramp up plan was 30, 100, 1500 (iirc). Your store is going to get one of the first 130 M3s to have for people to look at?
Production numbers may not include cars being built for showrooms and test drives.

Reactions: 0ptions
Points 1 seems the most important - will Tesla spare any production capacity to make floor models?

Point 2 suggests that Tesla will even go one step further and allow test drives on these models.

This is all speculation at the moment, but I for one am very curious to see how that plays out. I just went here:
US Tesla Stores and Galleries | Tesla

and I hand counted 107 Tesla Stores across the US (correct me if my counting is not at a Kindergarten level).

I know some people say that Tesla has 400k orders, why would they ever "waste" production on floor models??
But I think that's crazy. To me, it would seem that it's all about *capturing* as many of those 400k reservations, and converting them into real orders as possible. And a measly 1 or 2 or even 3 model 3s per US Tesla location is nothing if it ends up capturing let's say an extra 10% of reservations.

Note, 10% is just a wild guess. But I think the percentage of reservations that might get lost to other competitors, if the buyer never gets a chance to see the car in person, is a real non-trivial amount.

Hence, I believe 1 & probably 2 too.

Previously mentioned availability of test drives is toward the end of the year. So, August would be an unexpected improvement in ramping up car production to allow for demo cars. Unless they are rolling them out selectively starting on the West Coast and in the larger stores.

Unless they are rolling them out selectively starting on the West Coast and in the larger stores.

Yeah...
Washington has 3 locations
Oregon has 2 locations
California has 31 locations
That's 36 vehicles to put one in every location on the west coast.

Seems like a no brainer to me to do that asap, and then grow smartly over time.

That is, if the M3 is as amazing as people hope, you want real people seeing it, touching it, and sharing their impressions.
That's what would build hype, as opposed to everyone waiting for the first Car & Driver or Consumer Reports review.

I could believe all he said less the 75kW being base battery. Yes, it possible he was confused on that and meant first production run size.
I don't know why they would have clear the limited show room space unless something new was coming. This show room is only big enough for two vehicles, and a beautiful red MS75D graces the front. This is a high end mall so I'm surprised they wouldn't be pushing the MS and MX exclusively. I can believe the RC's could be display models, but like others said, don't think they'd let customers drive RC's, as I doubt they are approved for other than testing use on the road.

I hope he's right on all counts, but remain skeptical on the 75kW base battery comment.

and I hand counted 107 Tesla Stores across the US (correct me if my counting is not at a Kindergarten level).

I know some people say that Tesla has 400k orders, why would they ever "waste" production on floor models??
But I think that's crazy. To me, it would seem that it's all about *capturing* as many of those 400k reservations, and converting them into real orders as possible. And a measly 1 or 2 or even 3 model 3s per US Tesla location is nothing if it ends up capturing let's say an extra 10% of reservations.

Note, 10% is just a wild guess. But I think the percentage of reservations that might get lost to other competitors, if the buyer never gets a chance to see the car in person, is a real non-trivial amount.

You are right, it's actually a good idea to put the cars in Tesla's locations, let's first calculate how many we would need as a percentage.
((107*3)/400,000)*100=0.08025%
If Tesla would be using 321 cars or less than 0.1% of their reservations in showrooms it would greatly pay of capturing 10% of reservations or heck even 1% is worth it.

Still I wouldn't expect to see model 3's for driving test since the production line is still fixing errors or implementing improvements.

I have a feeling they will have cars in the stores for viewing, or test drives starting in August. They could be the pre-production cars and nobody would care. Just as long as we could see it in person, thats all that matters.

My wife called me yesterday and said she saw a Model 3 on the back of a cargo truck full of Model S and Model X. She was certain it was a 3 especially with both X and S being on the truck at the same time. It was headed to the local store here.

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy

Full of it? Really?

If what he said was "unofficial" then why would he be full of it?

I don't believe ANY sales person would indicate the size of the Model 3's battery. My detector just went off.