Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla service deteriorating as they scale??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model S suddenly started making a squealing (air coming out of a balloon) sound at @58K miles. It squeals every time I accelerate hard (it's that the whole point of a Tesla??). Anyways here's the response I got from them and they won't cover this under extended warranty, but suggested that i pay 2K for an upgraded part.
Your contactors are going bad. They used to replace them under warranty (but that was way back when Tesla's warranty was real). You will eventually be severely power limited. Accelerate hard and often to make it fail completely while you still have warranty, and set up a new service appointment asking them to check the battery contacts for the balloon squeal repair so you are covered if they try and push failure past warranty's end.

The CEO of the company does not understand service and its importance to not only customer retention but customer acquisition.

The company has been able to get away with inconsistent service, poor communications, poorly managed expectations, uneven quality, and apathetic management for years. Yes, the problem has scaled. Yes, the problem will continue to scale.

Imagine if Tesla really rolls out the robotaxi service: do you REALLY think the company is prepared for that? Imagine what owners are going to face in terms of trying to get timely service and support when every minute of waiting is lost money.

The fundamental issue here is that Elon, who cares deeply about science, technology, engineering, physics, and the First Principles of all these things, clearly does not hold a similar fascination with nor has he demonstrated he ever thinks about First Principles when it comes to service and customer experience. If I were a competing OEM I would see that as a vulnerability and something to compete on.

This is why I don’t think it’s a sure thing Tesla will dominate the FSD/robo taxis space (assuming they do win the engineering race). If Tesla continues down this path of, there’s money to be made by other companies managing Tesla’s better than Tesla.

Cars are nearly just another device in the IoT. In the advent of million mile batteries, V2G, V2V, and Big Data/AI, a tech company like a Google or Amazon could monetize the convolution of home, auto, utility, and insurance spaces. Several ICE and investor owned utilities may soon be available on the cheap, providing the physical and consumer outreach infrastructure.

I'm sitting here reading these posts waiting for my Y to come out of service after being in for 7 days already. After having the car only one week the trunk hinge broke and sounded like a gun going off. The rear hatch wouldn't close and the hinge needed to be replaced. The service center ordered a new hinge from the factory and then had to send it out to a body shop to be painted! In the process of all this the rear bumper was scratched and that had to be reordered and replaced.

I got a text this morning that stated "permitting all goes as planned" your car will be ready soon and "we will follow-up regarding any changes in service". Wonderful. In situations like this I like dealing with a human, preferably the same human, and not a text. I really, really like the car but the whole service/quality experience has soured me. Unless changed service will come back to bite Tesla.

I agree, and I've said this in the stock thread and got slammed. I don't care if the stock price keeps going up for no reason, or if they keep selling a lot of cars. The stock will crash and the company will die unless it builds a ton of service centers where you can get repairs fast and communicate with a human instead of an app. Or they need to train and allow regular auto mechanics to service their fleet. It ain't rocket science, if they can train a 20 year old in a month to do the job, they can supply veteran mechanics with the tools and information they need to do the job if Tesla won't. You can't sell a million or millions of cars and have one service center in each state. The genius Elon can't do basic math? SMH

I agree, and I've said this in the stock thread and got slammed.

You would think that Capitalists would have a better understanding of the "Invisible Hand" of the free market.

That's said: Tesla simply has no real competitors. There are other BEV's/hybrids of course, but none with Tesla's cachet. Right now they are like the cable company, they can be actively abusive and most will simply say "thank you sir, may I have another". There is little market pressure to improve.

Being the robber baron collecting the riverboat tax is a great business model, until it isn't. So when will Tesla start to feel the pressure? The fanbois suggest that Tesla is 5-10 years ahead in technology, and is certainly far more agile than the traditional automakers. So for now, I would suggest an extra-large bag of sand to pound upon, and try to enjoy the little things, because it's going to be awhile.

"You would think that Capitalists would have a better understanding of the "Invisible Hand" of the free market."

Oh, they understand the free market, and everyone is wondering when to hit the Sell button. But right now (the key metric), it's all buy. The stock will split next week, and the hope is that tons of small investors will pile on, driving the price up again. Customer service issues will improve as competition grows, but that is like years away, and the Sell button is at hand when the time comes. So, no incentives from stock holders to improve anything, because it's all about enjoying the run. I'm certainly enjoying it, but I've sold off too many times in the past 6 months. I'm back in and I'm staying. It is very much like the late 90's tech boom. Everyone knew it would crash, but no one cared when, as long as it didn't crash now.

It's funny how just over 1 year ago, such talk of a systemic issue with crummy CS was roundly dismissed and criticized by the fanbois. It is now pretty clear that there can be no such dismissal and criticism, and it is widely accepted the Tesla has a deep and potentially fatal issue on its hands. Just think--of all the cars and customers, we are the only 20 or so who take the time to express our dissatisfaction here. Consider what is really out there.

Last edited:
I guess it depends on the service center/location and maybe what’s wrong with the car.

I have had good results at my Clarkston MI service center and mobile service. Mobile service came to my house to replace the 12v battery a couple years ago. So far so good going on 4 years and 52k miles.

I even received a loner while they worked to replace my windshield due to a rock a couple months ago. To get that loaner, I let them know ahead of time that I needed one and made my appointment first thing in the morning. My only complaint is that they could have cleaned the interior of the car from their foot scuffs on the side of the door. I did let them know that in the survey afterwords but still gave them a good rating.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rg3500
You would think that Capitalists would have a better understanding of the "Invisible Hand" of the free market.

That's said: Tesla simply has no real competitors. There are other BEV's/hybrids of course, but none with Tesla's cachet. Right now they are like the cable company, they can be actively abusive and most will simply say "thank you sir, may I have another". There is little market pressure to improve.

Being the robber baron collecting the riverboat tax is a great business model, until it isn't. So when will Tesla start to feel the pressure? The fanbois suggest that Tesla is 5-10 years ahead in technology, and is certainly far more agile than the traditional automakers. So for now, I would suggest an extra-large bag of sand to pound upon, and try to enjoy the little things, because it's going to be awhile.
They are ahead in some things, not others imo. We’ve tested nearly every EV in the past two months (besides Polestar) and it’s close enough we’re waiting to see what is coming in the next year. We loved everything but the acceleration of the legacy manufacturers EVs.

Porsche made up nearly all ground very quickly, and so I don’t think it’s too much of a reach to think VAG will begin to compete with more affordable options. As these legacy manufacturers start to get fixed costs of a ICE off the books, I anticipate their offerings will rapidly improve.

Lucid’s charging technology sounds promising. I think it will be more than I’d prefer to pay though.

Reactions: CyberGus
I’ve had a lot of service visits where they kind of know my name by now. My most recent service saga was to replace a loose seat. It finally got done two weeks ago after waiting about 6 months. The seat memory no longer worked after the seat replacement so I scheduled a new appointment. Mobile service came out today (earliest appointment available) just for him to verify the issue and tell me that only the service center can fix it. Now I have to schedule another appointment which is two weeks out.

Original owner of early 2014 85kw model S. Car delivered in Columbus Ohio when we lived in Columbus.
Charleston S.C mobile service is outstanding.
The lack of Any Service Center in SC is keeping me from trading up. Politics from auto lobby keeping Tesla out. I’m not going to Charlotte NC to view, and pickup my next Tesla.
in addition the warranty problem stories can’t be isolated instances based on the number of public complaints.

Love my S and in no hurry to upgrade.

Let's just say anyone who tells you it's gotten better in the past few years is on some crazy drugs.

I've never experienced a company so hard to reach; answers they give me are usually wrong or straight up lies, and who are loath to sell you parts or service.

I always tell people interested in buying a Tesla this: amazing car I love it, but the customer service is worse than you can imagine. Take whatever your idea of terrible customer service is, add 50% and you have Tesla. If you want to buy, try to find one used from a private party or other dealership and avoid the pain in the ass as much as possible. Tesla's "delivery" experience is horrid.

I'm trying to rationalize this feedback from the service center I got today when I picked up my car in for service (PS: I have an extended service agreement)

1. The 12 V battery was replaced ~2.5 years ago by Tesla, Apparently it failed again and this time i did not get any error messages. It also corroded the Intelligent Sensor (6007953). I can understand paying for the 12v battery, but they even charged me for the sensor saying that is was damaged by a battery that was not covered?

2. More importantly, my Model S suddenly started making a squealing (air coming out of a balloon) sound at @58K miles. It squeals every time I accelerate hard (it's that the whole point of a Tesla??). Anyways here's the response I got from them and they won't cover this under extended warranty, but suggested that i pay 2K for an upgraded part.

"Performed test drive and verified that the noise that is present is caused by the in-rush current to the power switches causing a high frequency vibration that is similar to a squeal/whine or ballooning effect. This is a normal condition of the vehicle.... No additional labor is recommended at this point".

So now I got to live with a squealing sound from my car every time i'm supposed to enjoy the pure acceleration of a Tesla! Jeez.

@elonmusk... this makes no sense!!
You can have it "good", "cheap" or "fast"....pick two.

Reactions: CyberGus
It's threads like this that give me great pause moving forward with a Tesla purchase. Nothing like terrible service to ruin ones experience. Have to you that my local Ford dealer has been great for a lot of years. Do I really want to trade that for something not great to terrible.... Maybe EV competition will push Tesla to do better. Mach E anyone?
I'd just recommend you buy used to avoid the Tesla buying process. Fortunately the service for most Model 3's Is a rare occurrence that you only have to endure a few times (like going to the dentist). The car is so amazing that it is worth some pain and suffering, which is why Tesla gets away with it.

Unfortunately, there’s no question it’s gone downhill. It’s not the same company that got me hooked on EVs early last decade.

Imo, Tesla uses greater good as a guise for corporate greed.

I just purchased a new Model S for approximately $100,000. My service centre is in Scottsdale, Arizona.
When I arrived to pick up my car I asked them to place the Tesla mats I purchased from the Tesla shop but they would not accommodate my request.
There have been several items which needed attention and I have not been able to get anyone on the telephone from the service department or get the courtesy of a return telephone call. The attitude is not what you might expect from a progressive, successful company and if I knew I would have this aggravation, I probably would not have purchased the car. What a shame, because the car exceeds my expectations.
It is a disgrace the way they treat their customers. Wake up before you lose them.