Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla service deteriorating as they scale??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just purchased a new Model S for approximately $100,000. My service centre is in Scottsdale, Arizona.
When I arrived to pick up my car I asked them to place the Tesla mats I purchased from the Tesla shop but they would not accommodate my request.
There have been several items which needed attention and I have not been able to get anyone on the telephone from the service department or get the courtesy of a return telephone call. The attitude is not what you might expect from a progressive, successful company and if I knew I would have this aggravation, I probably would not have purchased the car. What a shame, because the car exceeds my expectations.
It is a disgrace the way they treat their customers. Wake up before you lose them.
Welcome to the new Tesla. I wish you had been able to know the old one I fell in love with.

FYI - I spoke to the service center and escalated this to the supervisor. Let's see if anything comes from it. Also FYI apparently they send out a survey after the service and that is where we need to provide feedback (good and bad)

Well... I can’t recall ever getting a survey on the repairs/visits that go all to hell. Another bit of sleight of hand.

Reactions: EVCarGUy
[QUOTE = "forhabi, post: 4938898, member: 143018"] Ik probeer deze feedback van het servicecentrum te rationaliseren die ik vandaag kreeg toen ik mijn auto ophaalde voor service (PS: ik heb een uitgebreide serviceovereenkomst)

1. De 12 V batterij is ~ 2,5 jaar geleden vervangen door Tesla, blijkbaar is hij weer uitgevallen en deze keer heb ik geen foutmeldingen gekregen. Het heeft ook de intelligente sensor (6007953) aangetast. Ik kan het betalen voor de 12v-batterij begrijpen, maar ze hebben me zelfs opgeladen voor de sensor en zeiden dat deze was beschadigd door een batterij die niet was bedekt?

2. Wat nog belangrijker is, mijn Model S begon plotseling een piepend geluid te maken (lucht die uit een ballon komt) op @ 58K mijl. Het piept elke keer als ik hard accelereer (dat is het hele punt van een Tesla ??). Hoe dan ook, hier is het antwoord dat ik van hen kreeg en ze zullen dit niet dekken onder de verlengde garantie, maar stelde voor dat ik 2K zou betalen voor een geüpgraded onderdeel.

"Testrit uitgevoerd en gecontroleerd of het aanwezige geluid wordt veroorzaakt door de inschakelstroom naar de vermogensschakelaars, waardoor een hoogfrequente trilling wordt veroorzaakt die vergelijkbaar is met een piepend / gejank of opblaaseffect. Dit is een normale toestand van het voertuig. ... Er wordt op dit moment geen extra arbeid aanbevolen ".

Dus nu leef ik met een piepend geluid uit mijn auto, elke keer dat ik moet genieten van de pure acceleratie van een Tesla! Jezus.

@elonmusk ... dit slaat nergens op !! [/ QUOTE]
Het is inderdaad schandalig hoe ze bij Tesla met klanten om gaan. In Amsterdam is het ook precies zo.
Ik heb al vaker gezegd, zodra andere merken doorkrijgen hoe je elektrische auto's moet bouwen gaan de meeste nu Tesla rijders weer terug naar hun vertrouwde merk zoals Mercedes, Bmw en Audi. Niet dat de service veel beter is maar de kwaliteit van de rest van de auto's zijn veel beter en mooier afgewerkt en hebben een veel langere levensduur.
Neem de klampen van Tesla model S facelift 2017-2020. De dagrijverlichting daarvan gaat heel snel stuk. Dan moeten de hele lampunits worden vervangen á €1200,- per stuk. Valt dat binnen de garantie dan is dat geen probleem maar als ze yelkens maar ongeveer 700 branduren mee gaan, dan vallen ze op een gegeven moment buiten de garantie. Bij mij zou dat elke 3 tot 3,5 jaar nieuwe koplampen betekenen. Ze willen ook niet opgeven hoeveel branduren ze behoren mee te gaan. Maar iedereen weet dat 700 uur echt belachelijk kort is voor zulke dure lampen

Attachments

• 20200820_174037.jpg
    20200820_174037.jpg
    432.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 20200820_174031.jpg
    20200820_174031.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 48
I recently had a terrible experience with Tesla Customer Service trying to get supercharging "privileges" restored for my wife's Model 3 after her credit card was improperly declined by Tesla for a $5.68 charge because Tesla had failed to update their Visa vendor charge processing software after Visa recently did an "AVS update", so the Tesla charge was declined by bu my wife's bank due to "address verification mismatch". This is the same Visa card we have been using for the last two years with many vendors (including Tesla) and this is the only time it declined payment. It took me three days and five hours on the phone to straighten this out with Tesla Customer Service. I have attached a long (but hopefully enlightening) email that I wrote to one of Tesla's customer leadership team members. All I got in response was a 1 minute phone call thanking me for sharing my detailed encounter with her department, and a "we know we have to do better and are working on it."

Attachments

• 8-24-2020 email to Tesla Customer Support-r.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 57
I'm trying to rationalize this feedback from the service center I got today when I picked up my car in for service (PS: I have an extended service agreement)

1. The 12 V battery was replaced ~2.5 years ago by Tesla, Apparently it failed again and this time i did not get any error messages. It also corroded the Intelligent Sensor (6007953). I can understand paying for the 12v battery, but they even charged me for the sensor saying that is was damaged by a battery that was not covered?

2. More importantly, my Model S suddenly started making a squealing (air coming out of a balloon) sound at @58K miles. It squeals every time I accelerate hard (it's that the whole point of a Tesla??). Anyways here's the response I got from them and they won't cover this under extended warranty, but suggested that i pay 2K for an upgraded part.

"Performed test drive and verified that the noise that is present is caused by the in-rush current to the power switches causing a high frequency vibration that is similar to a squeal/whine or ballooning effect. This is a normal condition of the vehicle.... No additional labor is recommended at this point".

So now I got to live with a squealing sound from my car every time i'm supposed to enjoy the pure acceleration of a Tesla! Jeez.

@elonmusk... this makes no sense!!
I think you just convinced me not to trade in for a newer model.

This is likely a regional problem. I'm in Pittsburgh and the number of Tesla EVs on the road are significantly less than California. I have to say my experience with the SC and mobile service has been great and probably as good as my experience with Honda service and better that BMW service.

Reactions: SO16
This is likely a regional problem. I'm in Pittsburgh and the number of Tesla EVs on the road are significantly less than California. I have to say my experience with the SC and mobile service has been great and probably as good as my experience with Honda service and better that BMW service.
This has a lot of truth to it. My local SC in British Columbia Canada is absolutely useless. We don't quite have California Camry syndrome like in CA, but it's certainly one of the most EV-dense areas of Canada, mostly due to the $10,000 incentive and milder climate. However, if I need parts I contact the SC in the neighboring province of Alberta, a big oil province with brutal winters. I assume very few Model 3's are running around there except maybe Edmonton and Calgary. Their service is always fairly decent, although they still occasionally ghost you or fail to follow up. It's certainly night and day compared to my province's SC.

Without any doubt... YES.

After MCU went dark on my Model X ( = no indicator, maps, AC, etc) I spent the following month having service appointments cancelled, on hold for hours, no access to a loaner (had to cover my own rental car) Really felt like nobody gave a damn.

I have no doubt the service centers are swamped but this is ridiculous. I get better service on my Toyota Prius.

My lease is up in September and I think I'm done. Luxury car... budget service.

Very disappointed.

I have used service in the Bay Area a number of times this year for my S and X for various reasons, both at the shop and mobile.

Service has always been very good and I love the logistics of it, i.e. scheduling on app, conversing over text messages, estimate and payment in app. The mobile service is outstanding for things that can be done mobile.

I have been getting loaners and Uber credit when going to the shop and both worked well.

Their service advisors are not always the most knowledgeable but they typically get all the information needed. I have also been successful in changing one item from not covered to covered under warranty with very little pushback.

• Funny
Reactions: First EV and SO16
I think the service is probably location specific although I haven't dealt with warranty type issues in the 18 months I had my model 3. I had service at my house twice and a third time was given a loaner for over a week when I had damage from hitting a small piece of 2X4 on the highway and had to wait for parts to arrive. Maybe I've just been lucky or maybe it's just the people running our center. The dropoff was completely touchless, call the service number, txt about the problem, emailed a contract for the loaner and they handed me a key for the Model S loaner. Pickup was a txt telling me where my car was parked and my key was inside. I parked the loaner, picked up my car and was gone. All payments have been online. The service center is in Austin, TX, soon the home of the next Tesla gigafactory.

Reactions: SO16 and CyberGus
Hmmm. All very interesting. Think I'll try a few stats.

Tesla has built about 350,000 cars to date. Let's say 15% no longer exist - through crashes, tired batteries or something else. That leaves about 300,000 still around. Some people own more than 1; let's say that's 20% of the vehicles left. That implies about 240,000 current owners of Tesla vehicles.

There are about 50 posters on this thread about poor service (and a few deniers who we'll ignore). There have been other threads in the past about the same complaint. Let's quadruple the complainers.

That leaves 200 owners out of 240,000 who are mad enough to spend time here writing about it.

Sounds like a 99.92% success rate to me...

Tesla has built about 350,000 cars to date. Let's say 15% no longer exist - through crashes, tired batteries or something else. That leaves about 300,000 still around. Some people own more than 1; let's say that's 20% of the vehicles left. That implies about 240,000 current owners of Tesla vehicles.

There are about 50 posters on this thread about poor service (and a few deniers who we'll ignore). There have been other threads in the past about the same complaint. Let's quadruple the complainers.

That leaves 200 owners out of 240,000 who are mad enough to spend time here writing about it.

OMG so adorable.

I am in B.C. My 2013 S have replaced 12 v battery at least 3 times and now need to replace again. Although I bought extended warranty still have to pay 272.00 deductible. Also headlight go after 2 years. So far service is good. But need some solution for battery replacement .I also want to know if headlight can be replaced with LED lights

Yes.
But not _because_ of scale.
It has deteriorated because they were losing boatloads of money and needed to get things under control and stop losing money. To do that they had to cut very important but not essential things and they still haven't corrected them.
Umm. Proper CS is essential long term and even short term. having good after sales support is a must.
I have to admit I am very worried getting a Tesla was a bad move based on my CS experience and how they provide post sales support

Reactions: First EV

I'm assuming this is satire, right? You realize that a one day old forum post on a tiny site with only 2500 accounts is not the same as polling all of the users, right? In fact if you adjusted the "complainers" ratio relative to 2500 people, that means percentage wise more like 2% of people are unhappy. Even that is a pretty poor stat though. If you are serious, please do some research on how statistics work. But I assume this was a joke