Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the 12v battery a warranty item under the New Car Warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 12v battery died, and my service center is claiming that the 12v battery is a wear and tear item, and is not covered under the new vehicle warranty. I am currently well under the 4 year/50K mile threshhold. (2.8 years and 25K miles or so)

I have searched the forum, and come across no definitive answer, although a lot of folks appear to have had their 12v replaced under warranty.

If you had your 12v replaced for free, under warranty, can you please let me know here by posting? Or if you have a document that definitively says one way or the other that would be great!

Thanks

Darren

If you had your 12v replaced for free, under warranty, can you please let me know here by posting? Or if you have a document that definitively says one way or the other that would be great!
Thanks
Darren

Yes, the 12v battery is a warranty item. Mine failed and was replaced within the last couple of weeks. Mobile service can take care of it.

Reactions: DarrenK
upload_2020-5-19_10-22-1.png

Dec 2018 replacement of a July 2017 purchase.

The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not specifically exclude the 12V battery, but it does exclude expendable items and lists examples (such as wiper blades/inserts, brake pads/linings,filters, etc).

On other cars I've owned, the 12V was covered under warranty if it failed prematurely (under 2 years old) and under maintenance otherwise.

Reactions: DarrenK
If anyone else can post an invoice, that would be great.
Thanks,
Darren

I never received an invoice (which has happened for other warranty issues). I did receive the customer sat survey after completed, but no copy of any invoice. They installed my HW3 computer in the same visit. Did not receive any paper for that either.

This was while the SC was operating in No Contact mode. Drop the car off, key in an envelope through the drop box, text them to advise the car was there. Text message later to come pick up the car. Key locked inside. No paperwork. No charge. Actually never set foot inside the building.

I never received an invoice (which has happened for other warranty issues). I did receive the customer sat survey after completed, but no copy of any invoice. They installed my HW3 computer in the same visit. Did not receive any paper for that either.

This was while the SC was operating in No Contact mode. Drop the car off, key in an envelope through the drop box, text them to advise the car was there. Text message later to come pick up the car. Key locked inside. No paperwork. No charge. Actually never set foot inside the building.
the invoice should be on your app

Reactions: X-pilot
The alert message started to show up yesterday on my 2018 Model X saying that my 12V battery needs to be replaced. I first received an email with an estimation of CAD $210 for the AtlasBX B19, Flooded (1046200-10-C) battery and CAD $73.5 for the labour. Then I searc online and found this forum. Then I saw a message on the Tesla app showing a $0 repair estimation and I accepted the estimation in the app. Not sure why I received the first estimation email but I think the battery replacement is covered by warranty.

Reactions: shaia8
The 12v battery in my 2018 MX was replaced in September under warranty and in my driveway. There may have been an original estimate but was $0 in the end. It's tough when there is no one to actually call and talk to on the phone. I would have replaced it with an aftermarket Li-Ion otherwise, but they cost more than double the lead-acid.

The 12v battery in my 2018 MX was replaced in September under warranty and in my driveway. There may have been an original estimate but was $0 in the end. It's tough when there is no one to actually call and talk to on the phone. I would have replaced it with an aftermarket Li-Ion otherwise, but they cost more than double the lead-acid.
The Li-ion also would have ended your warranty coverage (for the battery). You could have replied with your question back to the service tech from inside the app. I understand you really would like to talk to someone, but telephone support wastes a tremendous amount of time, on the part of the Service Rep, and frankly yours too.

Well, my second 12V battery failed two days ago (warnings to replace soon). So I got on the app, it grabbed the error codes from the vehicle, and set an appointment for the following morning, in my driveway. Mobile tech did call me and asked if he could move it to late afternoon. No problem for me. From alarm, to replacement at my home, in less than 24-hours. Warranty, no charge. I'm okay with that!

Got 12v ModelX battery replaced with mobile service today.
Battery light went off on Saturday, scheduled via app for Tuesday, mobile service took about 20-30min to swap. Free of charge, bill shows 00.00$
Car made March 2019 on the road for 3 years and 2 months.
Technician said it’s typical to have them replaced every 3-5 years.
He had to quickly check and calibrate the falcon doors and make sure they fully open and close after the battery was replaced.

• Informative
Reactions: focher
Also saw 12 V Low Voltage Error message (Model X) asked service tech in the App if 12 V battery replacement covered under Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty, tech's exact reply is → "You are outside of basic warranty, which would cover 12V battery replacement. The 8 year warranty you are talking about pertains to the HV battery."

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_738B1B95983A-1.jpeg
    IMG_738B1B95983A-1.jpeg
    179.3 KB · Views: 313
12V battery is covered under the basic warranty (4yrs/50k), once it's expired even if you have bought the extended warranty will not cover it. The main HV battery is covered for 8yrs/150k. It's easy to replace, Tesla charges ~200 parts and labor, or parts only for < 100. Only 1 year/12k warranty though.

• Informative
Reactions: Need and shaia8
12V battery is covered under the basic warranty (4yrs/50k), once it's expired even if you have bought the extended warranty will not cover it. The main HV battery is covered for 8yrs/150k. It's easy to replace, Tesla charges ~200 parts and labor, or parts only for < 100. Only 1 year/12k warranty though.
Thanks @cbdream99
Tesla repair tech is "here" at my home right now (as I type this) and I questioned him about it & even showed him a receipt posted in this forum & he echoed "exactly" what you just posted: The 12 V battery "is" covered under the "basic - 4YR 50K mile warranty, BUT *NOT* Covered after that 4 YR / 50K expires." Hope this helps anyone else that might want to know.