Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the 2023 Model X suspension just not refined?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm driving a Model X 2023 Long Range in Korea with 20-inch wheels. I also have this exact same vibration issue. I've been to the Service Center four times, but they only look at things like wheel balance and don't seem to address the larger issue.

Please make sure to update this.

Reactions: skytom88
I'm driving a Model X 2023 Long Range in Korea with 20-inch wheels. I also have this exact same vibration issue. I've been to the Service Center four times, but they only look at things like wheel balance and don't seem to address the larger issue.

Please make sure to update this.
Yes, until this gets fixed, I'll continue to update here.

한국에서 타신다니 뭔가 반갑네요.

FWIW, I test drove a MX yesterday and put about 34 miles on it. It was smooth as silk and handled the rough roads in Nashville exceptionally well. MUCH better than my previous MYP. I loved my time with the vehicle so much that I pulled the trigger on an order.

I know, YMMV. I had a '21 MSP and I ended up dumping it because they could never figure out the vibrations, even after replacing half shafts.... twice!

FWIW, I test drove a MX yesterday and put about 34 miles on it. It was smooth as silk and handled the rough roads in Nashville exceptionally well. MUCH better than my previous MYP. I loved my time with the vehicle so much that I pulled the trigger on an order.

I know, YMMV. I had a '21 MSP and I ended up dumping it because they could never figure out the vibrations, even after replacing half shafts.... twice!
Did you go with the 20’s or 22 inch wheels?

I have to admit that my 2020 MS is like floating over on air when set to comfort. I typically set to comfort when driving in the city. Comfort is too soft on the highway on my MS. I usually set to auto or sport. Comparing that to my 2023 MXP, the comfort is not as floating on the air like the MS. Back to I normally drive auto/sport on highway. With the MXP comfort is stiff enough on highway. But, I still do auto/sport with MXP. So, yes the MXP comfort is bit more stiff. But, It doesn't matter much to me. I prefer tight suspension on HW driving.

Last edited:
Just picked up my MXP on Sunday - picked it up
from a service center about 2 1/2 hours away since they had one in the color and with steering wheel and 20 inch wheels. On the drive home felt a subtle vibration in the steering wheel that didn’t feel right - took it for service and had a technician ride along - I explained that my 3 and Y didn’t have the vibration. You couldn’t feel it sitting in the car but definitely felt it in the steering wheel at about 75mph. They ended up trying to rebalance the tires but couldn’t get 3 out of the 4 balanced so swapped out the tires and subtle vibration went away. They chalked it up to faulty tires.

Quite possible. The tires are the cheap volume brand stuff, it's not exactly Michelin pilot sports.. expensive to sort out but if some are close to tyre swap time then worthwhile getting some decent boots.

Fwiw, the more I drive the model X after my wife replaced her Y, the X suspension on diagonal loads is wobbley, on any suspension setting for off square impacts. Well, compared to my bmv iX which is tied down in any mode in any axis. The ride quality in square on impacts in tbe X though is much better than my wife's previous Model Y, which was genuinely appalling. And probably why the Highland 3 redesign softened up in a large number of areas for chassis comfort.

Just picked up my MXP on Sunday - picked it up
from a service center about 2 1/2 hours away since they had one in the color and with steering wheel and 20 inch wheels. On the drive home felt a subtle vibration in the steering wheel that didn’t feel right - took it for service and had a technician ride along - I explained that my 3 and Y didn’t have the vibration. You couldn’t feel it sitting in the car but definitely felt it in the steering wheel at about 75mph. They ended up trying to rebalance the tires but couldn’t get 3 out of the 4 balanced so swapped out the tires and subtle vibration went away. They chalked it up to faulty tires.

Good to know, maybe it's the insluation foam inside the wheels displaced or something...or someone got the foam wet or something...

Reactions: theslimshadyist
The experiment continues! Before any more drastic measures I went ahead and replaced the OEM Continentals on 20s with the new Falken FK460s. These are ultra high performance all seasons, basically competing with the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 (which don't exist for our size). They are an amazing deal from Tire Rack, just a bit over $1k with installation, so I thought that if they are really bad I can just put back the Continentals - I only have a bit over 1000 miles on them.

Have only driven about 30 miles and:

Pros: Definitely more sporty ride and less wobbly. Accelerating hard the car feels planted - the Continentals seemed like they were jumping on pavement. Greatly reduced the vibration felt through the seats at speeds under 50 mph - the reason I started this thread. Note that these are not EV tires, and have no foam, low rolling resistance etc. but for the 30 miles I am averaging about 328. My total average since I got the car is 330 but have been also experimenting with lower tire pressures too. I also feel that they look much better and the tire profile doesn't have that over-inflated rounded look.

Cons: They are definitely louder especially with windows open. There is some kind of humming sound. With windows closed you can barely hear it but I will go to have it checked in case I have a defective tire. On the other hand moving from a grand touring tire with foam inside to an ulta high performance some additional road noise is inevitable. Now the car has a vibration at highway speeds at 60+ - you can see the steering wheel vibrating. For this I also hope they didn't balance them right or I have a defective tire, even though i did road force balance them.

Overall happy so far, but only have done 30 miles. My opinion is that the MXP definitely needs better performance tires and this are a great alternative (assuming my vibration and humming will be fixed). BTW, I was surprised how soft/bendable/flexible the Continentals are. I was putting them in bags to store them and you can bend them very easily with one hand and minimal force!

The experiment continues! Before any more drastic measures I went ahead and replaced the OEM Continentals on 20s with the new Falken FK460s. These are ultra high performance all seasons, basically competing with the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 (which don't exist for our size). They are an amazing deal from Tire Rack, just a bit over $1k with installation, so I thought that if they are really bad I can just put back the Continentals - I only have a bit over 1000 miles on them.

Have only driven about 30 miles and:

Pros: Definitely more sporty ride and less wobbly. Accelerating hard the car feels planted - the Continentals seemed like they were jumping on pavement. Greatly reduced the vibration felt through the seats at speeds under 50 mph - the reason I started this thread. Note that these are not EV tires, and have no foam, low rolling resistance etc. but for the 30 miles I am averaging about 328. My total average since I got the car is 330 but have been also experimenting with lower tire pressures too. I also feel that they look much better and the tire profile doesn't have that over-inflated rounded look.

Cons: They are definitely louder especially with windows open. There is some kind of humming sound. With windows closed you can barely hear it but I will go to have it checked in case I have a defective tire. On the other hand moving from a grand touring tire with foam inside to an ulta high performance some additional road noise is inevitable. Now the car has a vibration at highway speeds at 60+ - you can see the steering wheel vibrating. For this I also hope they didn't balance them right or I have a defective tire, even though i did road force balance them.

Overall happy so far, but only have done 30 miles. My opinion is that the MXP definitely needs better performance tires and this are a great alternative (assuming my vibration and humming will be fixed). BTW, I was surprised how soft/bendable/flexible the Continentals are. I was putting them in bags to store them and you can bend them very easily with one hand and minimal force!

After your quick assessment, if you could go back in time would you have purchased again?

Gosh sorry, the new tires. lol
Lol - thinking more about it will answer both since they are related! Buying an MX is like playing lottery. This is my second 2023 because the first one was bought back after issues that couldn't be fixed. Great that it was bought back but so much lost time at service centers and stinky loaners. It also had major panel gaps.

The second one has been perfect - I really cannot find anything with it and I have car-OCD. Of course, except the reason I started this thread. So I did get another MX in the same year but I had thought the vibrations I was experiencing with the first one were because of the 22" wheels it had. They were not.

I also have a Mercedes EQS that is crazy refined and perfectly built with zero issues so far so I have an idea of what a proper large EV CUV/SUV should feel like.

So I would only buy another MXP if these tires work out (or other tires - may try the Pirellis too if these don't work out) but too soon to tell. I won't get into suspension modifications though, I don't keep cars that long to go deep into modifying and prefer stock. If a car needs any modifications just after buying to be problem free it is not worth buying for me. Tires are just consumables though.

The MXP definetely needs better high performance tires than the Continentals it comes with - they are good at nothing IMO. Performance wise it is a huge difference driving with the new Falkens especially for hard acceleration. So I would buy again if I could go back in time just to feel that. They are a pretty crazy deal anyway. I wish Michelin had the Pilot Sport AS4 in our size to try them too. I had those in my BMW M5 and they were awesome.

Lol - thinking more about it will answer both since they are related! Buying an MX is like playing lottery. This is my second 2023 because the first one was bought back after issues that couldn't be fixed. Great that it was bought back but so much lost time at service centers and stinky loaners. It also had major panel gaps.

The second one has been perfect - I really cannot find anything with it and I have car-OCD. Of course, except the reason I started this thread. So I did get another MX in the same year but I had thought the vibrations I was experiencing with the first one were because of the 22" wheels it had. They were not.

I also have a Mercedes EQS that is crazy refined and perfectly built with zero issues so far so I have an idea of what a proper large EV CUV/SUV should feel like.

So I would only buy another MXP if these tires work out (or other tires - may try the Pirellis too if these don't work out) but too soon to tell. I won't get into suspension modifications though, I don't keep cars that long to go deep into modifying and prefer stock. If a car needs any modifications just after buying to be problem free it is not worth buying for me. Tires are just consumables though.

The MXP definetely needs better high performance tires than the Continentals it comes with - they are good at nothing IMO. Performance wise it is a huge difference driving with the new Falkens especially for hard acceleration. So I would buy again if I could go back in time just to feel that. They are a pretty crazy deal anyway. I wish Michelin had the Pilot Sport AS4 in our size to try them too. I had those in my BMW M5 and they were awesome.

Thank you @Leek4u for this and for confirming the state of the Continentals... I figured they were trash and this all but confirms it. I definitely would buy the Pilot Sport AS4's in a heartbeat if they were available. It would be worthwhile to contact Michelin and see why they aren't available in that size and to see if there are plans to produce them at some point. I'll see if I can find out anything.