Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the FUSC of 2020 new inventory cars actualy transferable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am about to buy 2020 new inventory Model S that comes with free unlimited supercharging. I asked following question to a Tesla sales advisor:

> Question: Would free unlimited supercharging get lost if we transfer car ownership to a family member down the road?

And got the following answer:

> Answer: Lifetime supercharging remains with the vin number of the vehicle so the answer is YES.

Obviously, the answer is self-contradictory as "YES" part reaffirms my belief that supercharging would get lost. However, the first part of the answer states that FUSC is associated with vehicle and not owner - at least that is how I read it. So:

1. which is it?
2.. Where can I find terms and conditions for the FUSC program?
3. Has anyone who has transferred ownership of a recent Tesla with latest FUSC observed that it was indeed taken away?

FUSC hasn't been transferrable since January of 2017 if I recall correctly. People have reported losing it when just moving the car to their spouse's account. (Or even just another one of their own accounts with a different email address.)

Thanks, Maybe my google'ing skills are subpar, but, unfortunately, I can't find any stories where recent Model S/X owners transferred their car to a spouse and lost supercharging. Can you help to find?

From the New Inventory page on Tesla's site for a Model S that is in current inventory, the details page clearly states: "Free Unlimited Supercharging is available to the next buyer of this car but is not transferable to subsequent owners upon sale. Supercharger idle fees may still apply." If you put this statement together with the prior one about January 2017 -- which I can vouch for -- consider the window for transferable FUSC to be closed on models after this date. Knowing this going in, is better than hoping for the best.

Thanks, Maybe my google'ing skills are subpar, but, unfortunately, I can't find any stories where recent Model S/X owners transferred their car to a spouse and lost supercharging. Can you help to find?
I tried googling it and couldn’t find it but he’s definitely right, I remember reading a post on here where a member tried to split away from a joint account to a single account and Tesla informed him that doing so will mean him losing free supercharging.

I am about to buy 2020 new inventory Model S that comes with free unlimited supercharging. I asked following question to a Tesla sales advisor:

> Question: Would free unlimited supercharging get lost if we transfer car ownership to a family member down the road?

And got the following answer:

> Answer: Lifetime supercharging remains with the vin number of the vehicle so the answer is YES.

Obviously, the answer is self-contradictory as "YES" part reaffirms my belief that supercharging would get lost. However, the first part of the answer states that FUSC is associated with vehicle and not owner - at least that is how I read it. So:

1. which is it?
2.. Where can I find terms and conditions for the FUSC program?
3. Has anyone who has transferred ownership of a recent Tesla with latest FUSC observed that it was indeed taken away?

Tesla sales advisor got it partially correct - FUSC stays with the new vehicle, but only as long as the car is not transferred.

...Lifetime supercharging remains with the vin number of the vehicle so the answer is YES...

It's in the grey area with software-enabled features such as Enhanced Autopilot, Ludicrous Mode, FSD, and of course your Lifetime Supercharging.

Tesla does definitely honor its contract with the current owner with these software-enabled features. However, it's not legally responsible to honor that contract with the next owner.

There have been reports of next owners lost those software-enabled features unless they pay again for them or raise hell over the press.

We know that software-enabled features stay with VIN is not always true because once Tesla got an Enhance Autopilot back into its inventory (as in lease is up, trade-ins...), it would strip that off and make it uniformed with the rest: Either plain Autopilot or FSD but no longer Enhance Autopilot.