Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the High Performance 85 kwh worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I just test drove the Model S yesterday and I'm in what I call the final stages of placing an order (just debating on which options to select). There's about a $12-$13k difference between going with the high performance 85 kwh battery or the regular 85 kwh battery. I started to wonder is it worth spending the extra $12-$13k on the high performance.

I live in Austin, TX and plan on using the car primarily for commuting to work. I'll be doing random weekend trips to the Dallas area (about 210 miles away) here and there but won't really do longer trips until the supercharger network is further along (waiting to do more road trips back to west coast). I have a SUV for longer road trips in the meantime.

I just wanted to get the thoughts of other owners to see if it's worth paying the extra. I'm 31 so I don't drive as recklessly as I have in the past (though going 0-60 in 4.2 seconds is pretty tempting).

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated. The goal is to place an order before the year is over.

Thanks

Shaun

The 210 miles to Dallas makes getting 19" tires a really good option. Combining the performance version with 19" low rolling resistance tires is going to be odd.

If not for the longish trip in Texas (more extreme temperatures = more watts used) I'd recommend the perf. But 210 miles is near the limit of 70-75mph freeway trips on 21" tires. You'll be happier on those trips with the 19" tires and the regular 85 gives roughly 5.5s 0-60, doesn't it?

The acceleration off the line (and the steady pull up to highway speeds and beyond) of even the standard 85 on 19" tires is enough to wrest a Tesla Grin from anyone who rides with you. Hell, I've had my S85 for 14 months and I still have a Tesla Grin permanently affixed. If you're a performance driver, get the P85; otherwise, the S85 has plenty to offer (and you'll spend a lot less money for frequent new tires as an ongoing expense).

I have a P85 with 19" tires and it works well together and I love it. That said, the P option is not really necessary as the standard S has pretty good performance on it's own. I sure did love destroying a 3 series BMW last night though....

I came from the performance cars before this one, 911 turbo's, AMG's, M5's etc. Drive both and decide if you need the power. If you don't have a heavy foot or don't appreciate the performance, then perhaps skip it and save the $$.

it's a very personal choice. I would recommend either going practical with the S 85 with 19" wheels or going all the way and splurging with the P85+ and even consider putting 19's on it. We were not so impressed with the P85 over our 13,000 miles of ownership, so we "upgraded" (long story) to a P+. We immediately purchased turbine 19" wheels with Micheline Primacy's mounted and balanced off of Tire Rack (last longer, quiter and even offer better traction in our climate). The P+ handles much better than the P, it's a dream to drive... my wife raves to her friends about it! Consider asking about any loaners available, there might still be some at the older pricing in the exact configuration you are looking for. That said, the S85, with standard coil suspension and 19" is a very nice value proposition as well.

The acceleration off the line (and the steady pull up to highway speeds and beyond) of even the standard 85 on 19" tires is enough to wrest a Tesla Grin from anyone who rides with you. Hell, I've had my S85 for 14 months and I still have a Tesla Grin permanently affixed. If you're a performance driver, get the P85; otherwise, the S85 has plenty to offer (and you'll spend a lot less money for frequent new tires as an ongoing expense).
Couldn't have said it better myself.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by roblab viewpost-right.png

Personal preference. I have never had anyone say, "boy what a wimpy car" when I floor my S85. When I explain that it actually IS the weak sister, they are even more amazed.
Me too.

those who have spent the money will not agree with me. I have a 60 with only leather, pano roof and rear shelf. My list was $73k but I was a very early adopter so I saved over $5k with free supercharging and missed the price increase. Now I see things are even more expensive. The 60 easily serves our needs and I have even done 2 long distance supercharged trips. Recently I had my car in service for an adjustment on the Pano Roof. They gave me a P85+ as a loaner, $128k car. Other than some extra zip off the line, ( I am passed the flooring it fun) the car was pretty much like mine only $40k+ more. From a practical matter of dollars and sense I had to look very hard to notice things that are any REAL difference. My car's radio is fine, (I am deaf in one ear) my google maps works just fine dont need navigation. The ambiant lighting in my car is just fine without extra tech stuff. I can easily press the FOB as I approach the car to open the door handles so that saved $3800. I have the standard suspension (didnt want to be faced with thousands of $$ in expense if something broke and dont need to make the car go up and down, no snow in Fla. Sorry I just dont see the difference other than a tad more zip and 65 more miles in the battery which has never been an issue for us. BTW we drive to our second home 96 miles, almost every weekend where we have a 240v plug. Range, performance and feel are no issues luxuary are just fine in my "low cost" Tesla.

those who have spent the money will not agree with me. I have a 60 with only leather, pano roof and rear shelf. My list was $73k but I was a very early adopter so I saved over $5k with free supercharging and missed the price increase. Now I see things are even more expensive. The 60 easily serves our needs and I have even done 2 long distance supercharged trips. Recently I had my car in service for an adjustment on the Pano Roof. They gave me a P85+ as a loaner, $128k car. Other than some extra zip off the line, ( I am passed the flooring it fun) the car was pretty much like mine only $40k+ more. From a practical matter of dollars and sense I had to look very hard to notice things that are any REAL difference. My car's radio is fine, (I am deaf in one ear) my google maps works just fine dont need navigation. The ambiant lighting in my car is just fine without extra tech stuff. I can easily press the FOB as I approach the car to open the door handles so that saved $3800. I have the standard suspension (didnt want to be faced with thousands of $$ in expense if something broke and dont need to make the car go up and down, no snow in Fla. Sorry I just dont see the difference other than a tad more zip and 65 more miles in the battery which has never been an issue for us. BTW we drive to our second home 96 miles, almost every weekend where we have a 240v plug. Range, performance and feel are no issues luxuary are just fine in my "low cost" Tesla.

Thank you for your semi-rare perspective on these forums. We see a LOT of people boast the 85kwh and above and its good to hear perspective from someone who didn't get all bells and whistles. Every time I price out the car it gives me chills because I am young and there are certainly better options to use my money on to invest in my future. It's posts like this that tame me to hold back in spending too much.

You are right about the key fob thing, I never thought of the walk up the car and having the door handles present more then a cute thing. I unlock my car via a button now, its not that difficult. :)

Assuming that you don't want the extra oomph of the P85 (if you do, then the P85+ is for you) and trips aren't an issue, the main reason for getting the S85 over the S60 is that it will be longer before the battery requires replacement. The other is that by the time you pay the $2000 for Supercharger access on the S60, the difference is down to $8K. Now $8K is nothing to sneeze at but compared to the $12K+ to go from the S85 to the P85 it's more of a bargain.

Almost all of the reasons for choosing one model over another go in the "individual preferences" category. For example, battery life isn't a concern if you return the car after three years.

I chose the S85 because I didn't require the performance, I go on trips, and I intend to keep the car for a very long time. Of course, the Gen III would have been a far better car for me, but waiting several years didn't appeal to me. Denise might get the Gen III.

Thanks for the responses.

The Tesla will replace my SL550 so I'm used to performance cars. I am getting the 21" turbine wheels so I may need to do a little research on how much it would affect performance (I assume it will be minimal).

I'm leaning toward getting the high tech package, parking sensors, smart air, and the ultra high fidelity sound options.

There's a supercharger in place so I can get to Dallas, Houston and San Antonio with no issues. I should be able to make the east cost trip by next year but it looks like it won't be until 2015 until I can reach the Bay Area (via the supercharger network).

Sounds like I'll be in good shape regardless of the choice.

Thanks for the responses.

The Tesla will replace my SL550 so I'm used to performance cars. I am getting the 21" turbine wheels so I may need to do a little research on how much it would affect performance (I assume it will be minimal).

I'm leaning toward getting the high tech package, parking sensors, smart air, and the ultra high fidelity sound options.

There's a supercharger in place so I can get to Dallas, Houston and San Antonio with no issues. I should be able to make the east cost trip by next year but it looks like it won't be until 2015 until I can reach the Bay Area (via the supercharger network).

Sounds like I'll be in good shape regardless of the choice.

Just get all of the options so you don't feel like you missed out on anything. Lol.