Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the High Performance 85 kwh worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the responses.

The Tesla will replace my SL550 so I'm used to performance cars. I am getting the 21" turbine wheels so I may need to do a little research on how much it would affect performance (I assume it will be minimal).

I'm leaning toward getting the high tech package, parking sensors, smart air, and the ultra high fidelity sound options.

There's a supercharger in place so I can get to Dallas, Houston and San Antonio with no issues. I should be able to make the east cost trip by next year but it looks like it won't be until 2015 until I can reach the Bay Area (via the supercharger network).

Sounds like I'll be in good shape regardless of the choice.
Ahh, in that case go P85+. While I don't see much of a difference between the P85+ I drove as a loaner and the P85 I have, it is an "in for a penny, in for a pound" kind of thing. I personally don't miss the parking sensors (not available with the Sigs) but the Tech package was nice. If high end sound is your thing, skip the sound upgrade and get a Reus system.

For an extra $13,500 the P model will get you to 60mph 1.2 seconds faster according to Tesla's official specs. Only you can decide if that is worth the money. For me it was a financial stretch to get the standard 85kWh version, and there was no way my spouse would have sprung for the P. But of course I secretly wanted it. :)

Now I am plotting to replace my Porsche with a Roadster that will do 0-60 in under 4 seconds!

Hi shaunjo, I'm also an Austin resident and expect my car to arrive on December 19th, so I am responding from a position of not having the car yet.

I had originally ordered the S85 but I upgraded before it went into production. I looked at the huge amount of money I was dropping on this car - more than 4 times what I would normally spend on a car - and figured I may as well spend the extra $10,000 so that in years to come, if I ended up having to get rid of the car and going back to "humbler" transportation, at least I would know I had the best the company had to offer, and will never have wondered what it might have been like. (I am interested in a quieter, more comfortable ride which is why I'm not also going for Performance Plus, which isn't any faster to go or to stop... it's just better in turns)

When I first read your post, I thought there would be a unanimous recommendation to get the Performance model. But it's good to see the recommendations going both ways. I recommend the P85 model... if you are used to spending that sort of money, you won't want the cut-down model. If you're getting P85+ don't forget to ascertain the life of the tires and the cost, I have heard they last as short as 6,000 miles before needing a new set. Also, you have gotten used to fast gasoline cars and I really think you need to find out how effortlessly fast the Model S is... the no-noise speed is revolutionary.

My S85 is plenty fast in day-to-day traffic, and it has a much better than adequate degree of range.
Could I use the extra power from the P85?
Probably.
But just occasionally.

If I had a P85 or a P85+, would it really make that much difference in how I drive day-to-day?
Probably not.
For the 5% or so times that it could make a difference, I am very okay with the performance of the S85.

I recently drove a loaner P85, and a loaner P85+.
But the reality is, there is nowhere in town (including the Metroplex) I can drive the cars limits to even tell the difference.
The S85 already has plenty of pep to get you any kind of speeding ticket you might desire (none yet, knock on wood).
And it is best to have a prudent speed on the highways even with SCs.

The main reason for me to have the S85 in lieu of the S60 is range: I just visited my sister South of Tyler in Whitehouse for Thanksgiving lunch.
Don't think I could make the roundtrip without using the Corsicana Supercharger with the 85.
I think I could just barely make the same trip using the Corsicana SC if I had a 60, maybe if she had an 220V outlet I could use top up with.

I have only had the pleasure of being a passenger in a P85 and it was for a VERY short time. Being I think I am FINALLY going to be placing my order next month (stars have finally aligned financially and I saved up enough since the price hikes) I am wondering how the S85 compares in 0-60 instant torque to say a Mustang V6. Now, don't laugh. I am not a worldly person when it comes to cars and sadly Austin currently isn't doing test drives. I hope they will soon :(

I don't think I will get a P85 because I already talked myself up from a S40kwh (RIP) to a S85kwh and anything beyond that is just not my cup of tea to spend on a vehicle. I guess its hard to describe the difference between my mustang and the Tesla since I never got to drive one. I am assuming I will be more then happy with a S85 and P85 would be over kill for me as I would rather spend my money elsewhere.

Thanks for the responses.

The Tesla will replace my SL550 so I'm used to performance cars. I am getting the 21" turbine wheels so I may need to do a little research on how much it would affect performance (I assume it will be minimal).

I'm leaning toward getting the high tech package, parking sensors, smart air, and the ultra high fidelity sound options.

There's a supercharger in place so I can get to Dallas, Houston and San Antonio with no issues. I should be able to make the east cost trip by next year but it looks like it won't be until 2015 until I can reach the Bay Area (via the supercharger network).

Sounds like I'll be in good shape regardless of the choice.

What year is your SL550?

If it's naturally aspirated, you'll be fine and satisfied with an S85.

If it's the bi-turbo, you're going to want the P85.

As mentioned, it's a personal decision.
I have the P85. I love my car even beyond belief. I've driven the S85 and it's wonderful. When you drive it you can't believe there's a faster one available.
If (when?) I do it again I'll get the P85+ and put 19" wheels and tires on it. The 19's are less expensive, last longer, have more choices, and use much less energy. According to those that have driven the + with 19's the handling is still awesome, and better than the non plus 85 with 21's.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to 19's all year. I like the way the car looks better with the 21's but I just can't handle always thinking I'm gonna damage a tire and be stranded every time I go over a pothole. YMMV.

FWIW: If you're coming from a Mercedes 550 you're gonna want all the bells and whistles. I'm NOT an audiophile and those who are can argue all day. The upgraded sound is the best "oem" car stereo I've ever heard. I used to listen to news all day, now I only listen to music.

This has been debated numerous times across many threads. Anyways here's my 0.02$...

I have a P85 and I've taken it to the track several times. I kinda wish I had the s85 as it will give you full power at the track for 4X longer. Also I could have gotten something else fun to drive on the track with the money I saved by getting the S85. Although I've never driven a S85 so maybe I'd really miss my P. :)

This used to be an easier decision because the original P85 included many desirable options, some of which were only available on the P85. Now, many of those options are extras and can be ordered on an S85. If you have any history with high performance sports sedans, a P85 might be a better fit. Otherwise, the S85 will be just fine.

he main reason for me to have the S85 in lieu of the S60 is range: I just visited my sister South of Tyler in Whitehouse for Thanksgiving lunch.
Don't think I could make the roundtrip without using the Corsicana Supercharger with the 85.

I drove to Lindale and back and had 60 miles left. Tyler isn't that far from Lindale. (Or was that a typo and you meant to say 60 instead of 85?)

I have a P85 with 19" tires and it works well together and I love it. [....]
I think a P85 should be fine with 19" wheels. In fact, there's even some debate that the car should perform better with 19" wheels.
However, if you get some tire rubber optimized for longevity rather than stickiness, I imagine you won't really be able to feel the acceleration your P85 provides without your tires slipping. I don't know how low rolling resistance tires do for stickiness.

210 miles is pushing the limits if you like to drive fast. You can do 210 miles with either set of wheels, but probably not at 80 mph.
Intriguingly, Teslamotors.com indicates that you can go farther at 90°F than 70°F, presumably because the reduced air density makes a bigger difference than running your air conditioner.

I think a P85 should be fine with 19" wheels. In fact, there's even some debate that the car should perform better with 19" wheels.
However, if you get some tire rubber optimized for longevity rather than stickiness, I imagine you won't really be able to feel the acceleration your P85 provides without your tires slipping. I don't know how low rolling resistance tires do for stickiness.

210 miles is pushing the limits if you like to drive fast. You can do 210 miles with either set of wheels, but probably not at 80 mph.
Intriguingly, Teslamotors.com indicates that you can go farther at 90°F than 70°F, presumably because the reduced air density makes a bigger difference than running your air conditioner.

I think it's also climate and driving habit related. it takes a while for performance tires to warm up here. I dare say my 19" all seasons perform better cold here than the 21" do. the 19" on the P+ provide better cold performance than the 21" on either the P or P+ and I end up doing a lot of shortish juants, so the tires are cold much of the time. In this climate, the winters are cool and wet on top of that, not good for performance tires in particular. the 19's are still quite wide, there's a lot of rubber on the road so I'm leaning in the direction of selling my offset 21's and going year round with the 19's, they are awesome!

Here are my observations.

I own a P85 and have driven the 60 and P85+ loaners for multiple days. I love the P85 power and I drive it hard. The P85 power can easily engage traction control (especially with the snow tires on). So in the end it has more power than your wheels can often handle.

P85+ handling helps to harness that power and allows you to take corners faster and push the limits of the traction even further without feeling out of control. I really loved fishtailing around corners.

The 60 was actually very impressive and pushes acceleration up to but not over the limits of the traction in dry weather. I had friends test drive it and they were blown away. The 85 would be even faster.

If I was buying now I would get the 85 because, here in Canada, the P85 with the options I have has gone up by almost $20K since I bought. But if I had the money for a $135K car I would most certainly get the almost fully loaded P85+.

Mine has the HiFidelity sound which I love. The 60 had the standard sound system and the only major difference I noticed was there was noticeably less base and less sound coming from the rear speakers.

The 60 had the spring suspension which was noticeably more bouncy in the sense you could feel the smaller bumps. The air suspension smooths out all the small bumps. But the spring suspension (like lolachampcar has commented on) gives you a certain connection to the road over the air suspension in the P85. I cannot comment on the difference to the P85+ because I did not drive them close enough together.

In the end whatever Model S you choose, you will enjoy it immensely!

We have the S85 and love it. I came from a BMW 1M Coupe, and find the Standard 85 to be just as quick, if not quicker. I have driven both the P85 and P85+ as loaners for several days each, and when I get it them and drive I realize that they are nice cars, BUT - when I get back in the S85, I immediately realize that there is just not that much difference for me in the real world. I have been a BMW Driving Instructor for several years, and also realize that the power that you can use day to day is all that I need in the S85.

Plus...it gives me an extra 10K for the X that is on order!

My 2 cents worth :)

An S85 has been my daily driver for 8 months and I got a P85 loaner yesterday so I figured I would add my 2 cents to this thread. When I first drove the P85 loaner on the freeway, I didn't notice a huge difference. But then I took it to a somewhat deserted back road and was able to accelerate from a dead stop. Oh. My. God.

My S85 is a blast to drive and has way more power than I actually need for most standard driving situations. But at low speeds the P85 has MUCH more torque. It's a far bigger difference than the specs would imply (although the 21" wheels with the continentals vs. my 19" stock wheels and tires might also have something to do with this). If you can easily afford the P85 and tend to floor the accelerator in your current car on a fairly regular basis, I'd suggest the upgrade. If I have some extra money left over at some point and Tesla offers a drivetrain upgrade without swapping the entire car, waiting for the carpool sticker to come in, and paying the sales tax on the entire price of the P85 then I will probably go for it. But I'm still quite happy with my S85 and am glad I got the chance to test out the P85 for a couple of days :)

Even though the P85 only has 15% more HP than the S85, going from a 0-60mph time of 5.4 down to 4.2 requires a ~28.54% higher acceleration. So you'll be feeling a ~25% higher force on your body with the P85 over the S85. See if that's worth $10,000 for you.

I've never ridden in a S before, but I did the math.
I knew many 85 kwh owners regretted for not upgrading to the 85 Performance. Me included. And upgrading after delivery is impossible.

If you love the Model S, then go for it. It's already 100k+, putting a little extra on top sure won't hurt.
Pretty much everyone on the forum love the Model S, but plenty of people are fine with the S85. And making a $100k+ S85 requires fully loading it with everything outside of the performance upgrades.

Is the High Performance 85 kwh worth it?
YES! I mean, uh, like it's okay and stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated. The goal is to place an order before the year is over.
My psychic powers tell me:
1. Plus won't be worth it for you.
2. Perf might be worth it for bonus fun, but it's not a "justify" thing it's an "I want it" thing. Like a high-priced meal where you're paying for much more than for the raw materials and cooking/preparation but rather for the ambience, etc.
3. Unless you regularly carry more than 5 adults (you+4) on your "longer road trips", I suspect you'll be selling your SUV in less than 6 months after getting your Model S.

I drove to Lindale and back and had 60 miles left. Tyler isn't that far from Lindale. (Or was that a typo and you meant to say 60 instead of 85?)

Nope, not a typo, have a S85, and it had full range charge.

T'Giving Day, Left Oak Cliff, went to pick up my Mom in far North Dallas: almost 20 miles North.
Could have tried to head straight to Whitehouse (~ 10 miles Southeast of Tyler), but by my calculations my trip would have been much too close (including any buffer factor) to get fully back to North Dallas and then my home.
113 + 20 = 133 X 2 = 266 miles.
==>>Not going to happen.

So I decided on another tact: Went to Corsicana SC, got plenty of juice for next leg 84 miles each way (168 RT) to Whitehouse, with a little spare (weather was a bit cool).
Return trip, swung thru Corsicana SC on the way back, got enough juice for leg to North Dallas and then home.
(Bunch of small towns on this route with 45 and 35 mph speed limits.)
My point: 168 miles in an 85 is a breeze, whereas in a 60 it might be pushing the buffer factor limit.

A slightly longer drive and Yes, it added about 25 to 27 miles to each leg to go via Corsicana, but absolutely NO concern with heat, speed, range, buffer.
Just relax and enjoy the drive!

I'm tellin' ya, I could get very spoiled using Superchargers.