Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the huge front windshield going to be too hot for summer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear TESLA X Family

I have ordered a 90D X however I am actually debating over that HUGE FRONT WINDSHIELD being WAY TOO BIG and HOT for summer, has anyway had any issues with the sun and the heat? ( I live in Los Angeles and it was already 90+ today) Any real life experience will be helpful !

I currently have the P85 with the sunroof and I had to have install the TESLA shade on it ( it is still too hot because unlike
most European cars that has the full cover fabric option) but it is just really hot... any solutions to this will be greatly appreciated ! ,,,,

Especially this is going to be the wife's car,,, I am just wondering if the wife is going to be pissed with that much sun coming down from the that HUGE windshield.

Thank you guys !

Dear TESLA X Family

I have ordered a 90D X however I am actually debating over that HUGE FRONT WINDSHIELD being WAY TOO BIG and HOT for summer, has anyway had any issues with the sun and the heat? ( I live in Los Angeles and it was already 90+ today) Any real life experience will be helpful !

I currently have the P85 with the sunroof and I had to have install the TESLA shade on it ( it is still too hot because unlike
most European cars that has the full cover fabric option) but it is just really hot... any solutions to this will be greatly appreciated ! ,,,,

Especially this is going to be the wife's car,,, I am just wondering if the wife is going to be pissed with that much sun coming down from the that HUGE windshield.

Thank you guys !

No, not at all. I've had it for a couple months now in some mini heat waves in NorCal and that glass roof is something special. We've never felt hot from the sun coming through the roof more or less than any other car...I would say my Model S gets hotter from its sunroof than the X does from its windshield. Air conditioning in the X works real well relative to the S and cooling seats as well are nice but could be better

The front windshield is not a problem for me on some 85+ degree days directly into the sun. My worry is the driver and passenger windows. There I have felt a lot of heat. This may be the first car I consider tinting those windows but will have to be careful about Calif state code on this.

Diavel ,, hope all is well, just wondering what brand of tint have you been using ? I have been using HUPER OPTIC and really loved it.

I have a friend that runs a few tint shops. He mentioned huper and something else. I told him I want no uv best but a good value on my S. He put something in and It's great! Bring on the big windshield

I don't know if Tesla's electro-chromatic (I think it's called) windshield stops heat from penetrating. I hate the radiant heat from the windshield so I tinted everywhere.

I'd like to hear the Az. and Florida drivers weigh in....having said that, probably not a good measure until June.
I live in AZ and have had my X for a little over a month. I decided to wait on tinting until the heat started to set in. Now that it is nearing 100 degree days I am realizing I am going to want to tint the vehicle (and windshield). Probably going to move forward with Prestige Photosync. I have been warned that there are very few people that can tint the windshield of the X because there is only an inch or two to spare on the overall dimensions of the film. I will report back when I end up pulling the trigger.

• Informative
Reactions: X Fan
In the past few days, we have had warmer weather and do feel the heat coming through when the sun is directly overhead. I will also be getting Prestige Photosync on the windshield and the rest. It has worked wonders with our P85+ S, so we will stick with this as it is a proven tint for us.

• Informative
Reactions: xkwizit
If it isnt for my X needing to go back to the SC I would already have my car wrapped and Photosynch added to all of the windows. I really feel the heat coming thru the front windows
Looking forward to your report on the Photosynch on the front windows. This is where I think I will have the problems too. My limited experience so far on just a moderately hot day (high 80's but direct late day sun) showed me the driver/passenger windows transmit a lot of heat. I was OK with the windshield.

Screenshot_20160417-143546.png
Here is my reading on an 80 degree day after going out for a 30 minute lunch. I wouldn't be surprised for another 30 minutes that my X can be at 130 degrees. On my Ss, photosynch made it a day'n night temperature difference.

Screenshot_20160424-135422.png
This is my non scientific comparison between having photosynch and none. Pic above is of my X without photosynch. My S with photosynch attached. These screen shots were of 2 different days. The X was taken when it was 80 degrees outside and the S below was at about 75 degrees outside. With my time in the X the front windows let in a lot of heat and indeed needs photosynch.

Once I get the X back from sc, I will bring it into premiere for the full car wrap and photosynch

We've used $39.99 custom fit Intro-Tech Automotive Windshield Snow Shades on the LARGE highly raked windshields of our 2015 P85D, 2012 Prius and 2006 Corvette Z06 with awesome results. They mount on the exterior of the glass eliminating the "greenhouse effect" interior sunshades suffer from... and they roll up and fit right behind our rear seat when unused.

Intro-Tech Automotive Windshield Snow Shade

Winter Windshield Snow Shade by Intro-Tech Automotive
intro-tech_snow_shade_rel2.jpg

Yes I know they're named Snow Shades... which the sunny Southern California manufacturer admitted were originally made for easy snow removal but many of their customers use them for sun shades. They've lasted 3 years on our 2012 Prius and 6 years on our 2006 Corvette in HOT SoCal sunshine and let us get back into much cooler cars.

Yes all our cars have tinted windows too using top grade "ceramic" tinting material which has also lasted 10 years. This helps reduce the UV heat gain and glare in the rear and side windows... but the Intro-Tech shade helps the most when parked, especially with the sunroof in Vent mode.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED... and DIRT CHEAP TOO !!!

We've used $39.99 custom fit Intro-Tech Automotive Windshield Snow Shades on the LARGE highly raked windshields of our 2015 P85D, 2012 Prius and 2006 Corvette Z06 with awesome results. They mount on the exterior of the glass eliminating the "greenhouse effect" interior sunshades suffer from... and they roll up and fit right behind our rear seat when unused.

Intro-Tech Automotive Windshield Snow Shade

Winter Windshield Snow Shade by Intro-Tech Automotive
intro-tech_snow_shade_rel2.jpg

Yes I know they're named Snow Shades... which the sunny Southern California manufacturer admitted were originally made for easy snow removal but many of their customers use them for sun shades. They've lasted 3 years on our 2012 Prius and 6 years on our 2006 Corvette in HOT SoCal sunshine and let us get back into much cooler cars.

Yes all our cars have tinted windows too using top grade "ceramic" tinting material which has also lasted 10 years. This helps reduce the UV heat gain and glare in the rear and side windows... but the Intro-Tech shade helps the most when parked, especially with the sunroof in Vent mode.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED... and DIRT CHEAP TOO !!!

Does this go on the outside or inside? Any pics?