Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the M3 the new Ford Cortina?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
..... You young whipper-snappers don't know how lucky you are!! The Morris didn't have wing mirrors, radio, carpets, and the windscreen washers were a manual push knob on the dashboard. It did have a heater though, which not all cars did, even in the early 60's. Luxury.

You had it easy young man.. my dad had an 1100 and was way more sophisticated than my first - you had things like self-cancelling indicators and didn't have to bang on the B pillar to get the arrow to come out. At least mine still had a starting handle...

• Funny
Reactions: Regulo
You had it easy young man.. my dad had an 1100 and was way more sophisticated than my first - you had things like self-cancelling indicators and didn't have to bang on the B pillar to get the arrow to come out. At least mine still had a starting handle...
Starting handle?
Luxury!
We had to turn the engine over using our teeth and do an oil change by sucking it out with a straw....

A straw? What luxury...

Tesla's plan has always been to build and make mass volume evs, Its by far the most popular (ev) car globally for now, its still to expensive and the market is more focused on suv's so I expect the 'model 2'/cuv vehicles to smash it even more.

Steady on old boy, I had a Mk3 and Mk4 Cortina. As a young sales/support pleb in the late 70's early 80's, I'd arrived. What's more, The Sweeney used MK 3's...kudos.
I thought the Sweeney used the Consul ... the one that looked like a Granada - oh I see I was a bit late to post this one

Right Tinkerbell ... You're NICKED!

But if the question is "Is the M3 the new Ford Cortina?" perhaps given the possibility of it getting the new yoke, it's more of the Austin Allegro - with the Steering Square(tm) :D

I thought the Sweeney used the Consul ... the one that looked like a Granada - oh I see I was a bit late to post this one

But if the question is "Is the M3 the new Ford Cortina?" perhaps given the possibility of it getting the new yoke, it's more of the Austin Allegro - with the Steering Square(tm) :D
The Allegro was a car of two halves. They just needed welding back together occasionally :eek:

• Funny
Reactions: DigbyChicken

As per my post here - Is the M3 the new Ford Cortina? - yep, 3-litre Consul GT V6 in the title sequence and much of the first season. (In the pilot episode, Regan's driving a dark blue Granada and the squad car's a light blue Zodiac.)

I'll put a lid on it (guv) as I'm wary of boring everyone to death, but if you ever watch any of those old episodes back... Let's just say, the handling of the cars leaves a little to be desired. (In one early episode there's a chase involving Carter's pea-green Allegro. And most weeks the villains were driving S-types that wobbled around like beached whales.)

The Honda plant in Swindon will soon be vacant. Ideal for making all the RHD cars.
I also hoped the Honda factory (capable of 250,000 vehicles per year) would have been an ideal target for EV manufacturing, but seems not; the whole site has been purchased by a company that is going to convert it into a large logistics/distribution park (Panattoni Park Swindon - Panattoni UK). Although Tesla started with taking over an old car plant in Fremont, I guess the Honda site is probably not expandable enough in Elon’s view of a Gigafactory, where he would just aim to replicate his existing blueprint rather than convert an existing facility.

But anyway, back to the good old Cortina, I was jealous that my best mate’s dad had a Cortina Mk3 compared to my Dad’s Morris Marina, right up until my Dad got a new Marina HL that had velour seats, front head rests, two door mirrors and a single speaker AM radio - a Top Trumps win for me! So easily impressed in those days, but to be honest just not burning your legs on vinyl seats in the summer was enough for me back then, though I do have that problem again now in my M3!

I'm currently watching George Gently on Acorn and I watched Endeavour before that. Fascinating to watch the world of my youth recreated like that - and interesting to see how many dark blue Triumph Heralds there were. There's one in almost every scene of Endeavour ;)

The only thing that jars in those type of productions is how clean and well looked after all the vehicles are ... even the old Bedford delivery vans with the sliding doors! In the real world they'd be completely knackered and slobbering oil by the gallon

I had a Riley Elf (mini with a boot), and enquired about using it for TV and film shoots. There is an agency that deals wth that sort of thing. However, before I got much further than finding out about the possibility, some numpty in a Ford Sierra (where'd they all go?) totalled it by jumping a red light. Shame, I loved that little car.

The only thing that jars in those type of productions is how clean and well looked after all the vehicles are ... even the old Bedford delivery vans with the sliding doors! In the real world they'd be completely knackered and slobbering oil by the gallon

So true! The vehicles look pristine, like they've just come out of classic car showroom. They definitely need more faded paint, rust, ill fitting doors, bald tyres and smokey exhausts! Back then a winter morning in any street was a cacophony of starter motors churning away. There was always one that turned slower and slower until the owner gave up and you then heard the mettalic rattle of a bonnet lid being hoisted accompanied by some muffled curses. Eventually all the cars could set off on their respective journeys ... full choke on and the waft of raw petrol inside and outside! Ah, those were the days ... who would choose a "souless" EV in preference? Well, me for one!

The yard and handyman at one place I worked painted his morris traveller by brush using Woolies household gloss. A perfect result following tradition of progressively thinned several coats followed by another few coats of varnish which could be rubbed down and redone easily.
I cheated and resprayed my second car using mum's vacuum cleaner and cellulose paint