Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Model 3 your most expensive car?

Model 3 the most expensive car you will buy?

• Yes

Votes: 279 65.5%
  • Yes, but barely

Votes: 21 4.9%
  • No, but barely

Votes: 12 2.8%
  • No

Votes: 114 26.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Without PUP, steering wheel and seats are going to require manual adjustments. Those adjustments are probably going to be quicker to do than going through the touch screen interface.
With or without PUP, either way the seats are not controlled via touchscreen UI.

I've not seen it documented anywhere that the standard model will have manual steering wheel adjustments (which would definitely be a plus), only that the PUP package adds driver profiles via power adjustable steering column (which does not necessarily mean the standard does not have a power adjustable steering column):
Standard: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=Q2xNd09Wam91b29IZVJNNDFBeFYyYktpcFJPbVln
PUP: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/B...v-Cs_7d1-o1qapnt9JUqZvd0nlaozU1E=w528-h553-no

Reference please to manual steering on standard.

Last edited:
Nope. Have bought cars in this price bracket. But if it weren't for the Model 3, I'd be going to maybe a base model Versa. I'm not interested in spending on vehicles, or anything anymore (just hoarding my money waiting for the economy to tank, which I know it will sooner or later).

Fine as long as they aren't "stretching" to buy a Model 3.

Little rule of thumb: never stretch to buy anything. Full stop. No exceptions. I've seen too many posts on EV sites of people stretching and spending thousands extra for this car and relying on tax credits. They're better off buying a used Volt or something like that.

Another rule of thumb: the price you pay on your car should never exceed 50% of your annual income. Anyone who makes less than $70,000 a year should walk away from the 3.

While you do make a valid point, I don't totally agree. I wouldn't have my PRHT Miata if I followed your advice. Yes, there are people out there who blindly want the "new shiny thing". But I'm not one of those. Those type of people pay for a pricy car for 2yrs and then want to move into an even pricier car after those 2yrs.
I'm mainly moving into the 3 because my Miata has seen a lot of road time. She's got 245k km's on the clock and I've been through some major maintenance with her this past year. I took a good survey of her and before I go spending more money on her, I noticed it would probably be better to get a new vehicle.
I'm pretty sure this Tesla will go well beyond 10yrs my Miata has without doing any crazy maintenance. Just tires and charging her up. :)

• Helpful
Reactions: internalaudit
With or without PUP, either way the seats are not controlled via touchscreen UI.

I've not seen it documented anywhere that the standard model will have manual steering wheel adjustments (which would definitely be a plus), only that the PUP package adds driver profiles via power adjustable steering column (which does not necessarily mean the standard does not have a power adjustable steering column):
Standard: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=Q2xNd09Wam91b29IZVJNNDFBeFYyYktpcFJPbVln
PUP: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/B...v-Cs_7d1-o1qapnt9JUqZvd0nlaozU1E=w528-h553-no

Reference please to manual steering on standard.[/QUOTE

You are right. I misread the fourth bullet point on your second link. I initially thought it to be power adjustable seats, steering column and side mirrors when it fact is actually reads custom profile for those three things.

I mean, in the PUP, it's a given that all these three things are power adjustable so the corollary (my guess) would be that they aren't power adjustable in the Standard model.

I won't get to customize until late 2018 or 2019 so by then, things may have been rejigged.

While you do make a valid point, I don't totally agree. I wouldn't have my PRHT Miata if I followed your advice. Yes, there are people out there who blindly want the "new shiny thing". But I'm not one of those. Those type of people pay for a pricy car for 2yrs and then want to move into an even pricier car after those 2yrs.
I'm mainly moving into the 3 because my Miata has seen a lot of road time. She's got 245k km's on the clock and I've been through some major maintenance with her this past year. I took a good survey of her and before I go spending more money on her, I noticed it would probably be better to get a new vehicle.
I'm pretty sure this Tesla will go well beyond 10yrs my Miata has without doing any crazy maintenance. Just tires and charging her up. :)

I can guarantee you if you purchase the ESA before your first four years are up, that the M3 maintenance and repair will be cheaper for its first eight years.

I'm not so sure from the ninth year and onward. If the Right to Repair is not offered, all bets are off because Tesla shop rates are on the high side.

This is not a staid Toyota we are talking about. My three ICEV Japanese vehicles (02, 11, 16) have not had issues with the ICE and transmission besides some excess motor oil consumption on my 02 Civic which seem to have gone away after I switched to Mobil 1 high mileage synthetic motor oil.

I mean, in the PUP, it's a given that all these three things are power adjustable so the corollary (my guess) would be that they aren't power adjustable in the Standard model.
My guess is they will keep power mirrors and power adjustable steering wheel (only without profile capability). IMHO from a manufacturer point of view I can save money going to manual seats; but deleting a few mirror and steering wheel sensors/motors only to have to add extra mechanisms/knobs/revised door & dash panels, and have another version of the UI to maintain, doesn't make much sense.

We shall see.

Reactions: internalaudit
My guess is they will keep power mirrors and power adjustable steering wheel (only without profile capability). IMHO from a manufacturer point of view I can save money going to manual seats; but deleting a few mirror and steering wheel sensors/motors only to have to add extra mechanisms/knobs/revised door & dash panels, and have another version of the UI to maintain, doesn't make much sense.

We shall see.

If that was the case, all the more reason not to bother with PUP then as I will only be missing the memory seats. :)

Hopefully that'll be true since Tesla is not a volume and flexible producer unlike Toyota and Honda whose trims have significant nuances between Canadian and American models. They save on not putting certain things like TPMS in Canada and heated steering and front windshield defroster in the States.

Assuming that I get the full $7500 (Fed) + $2500 (CA) credits if I get a First Production LR PUP with paint and standard wheels, then yes, it will be about $8K more than the 2000 E46 I bought new. Got a good deal then on the Bimmer as I purchased online through CarOrder.com.

Assuming that I get the full $7500 (Fed) + $2500 (CA) credits if I get a First Production LR PUP with paint and standard wheels, then yes, it will be about $8K more than the 2000 E46 I bought new. Got a good deal then on the Bimmer as I purchased online through CarOrder.com.

Have you heard anything on the $2500 CA credit? They ran out of money a while ago, and I haven't heard on the news (or dug through this site) to see what updates there are.

I'm not counting on that $2500. If it were the full $7500 + $2500, then it would still be my most expensive car, but not quite as much. Well, relatively. Taxes on an extra $10,000 is still quite a bit and I actually hadn't planned on buying a car as expensive as my current ones anymore (Honda and Lexus). So much for that idea.

Have you heard anything on the $2500 CA credit? They ran out of money a while ago, and I haven't heard on the news (or dug through this site) to see what updates there are.
My understanding was that the money ran out for the fiscal year 2016-2017 (ending in 3rd quarter I believe). I assumed that funding would be restored for the next FY but that may be a mistake. I couldn't find any definitive answer on the DriveClean website.

I bought a new Porsche 911 cabriolet years ago and it was in the low $80's but until last month the last car I bought was the base model Nissan Versa S at just below $14K brand new. The Versa, which I sold last month when I bought my S 70, was a perfectly practical car but the Model S and the Model 3 are luxury toys that I want, not need.

I’ve come really close to buying more expensive cars but have always found something that stopped me.
Came really close with a Model S a few years ago but it was much too big for me.
Got bitten EV bug anyway and got my Leaf.
Model S is still too big, hence Model 3.
This is the first car that the entire family is behind and finances are in good shape, so.......

I bought a new Porsche 911 cabriolet years ago and it was in the low $80's but until last month the last car I bought was the base model Nissan Versa S at just below $14K brand new. The Versa, which I sold last month when I bought my S 70, was a perfectly practical car but the Model S and the Model 3 are luxury toys that I want, not need.
I did not know one could move from a brand new 911 convertible to a base Nissan Versa S :)

Reactions: Pkmmte and Warrentt