Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Supercharging station user experience a "premium" experience?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all Tesla Model S owners

As a Model 3 reservee, I was hoping to get some insight in to what the supercharging user experience is like.

Refueling an ICE car is not something I would say is a nice experience, though the speed of the process makes it bearable. Although I have not owned an EV before, one of the factors that has put me off in the past is having to spend considerable amounts of time at motorway charging station, which are generally not the most pleasant places in the world to pass time.

I know that a supercharging is much faster than so-called "fast" charging, but I will still need to spend some time waiting at supercharging stations at motorways. Can I expect to have a "premium" experience at such a station, or will it be something that I have to endure? Is supercharging a bonding experience with fellow Tesla owners, or do you end up having to mingle with the masses :) ?

I hope I don't sound like a snob (honestly Im not)!

Thanks for any insights!

Dan

I have only charged at one SuperCharger to date and that was in Springfield, Mass. The 8 chargers there are located in a rear open air parking lot in a large shopping mall complex. Nearby there are some park benches and a small park like area. All of the shops are quite a walk away. When we were there, we were the only Tesla in the charging stalls. (about 2PM on a Thursday). So the experience was quiet. Glad I had my iPad as I caught up on some reading and my wife did a nice walk. 30 minutes later we were on our way. Since there were no other Tesla's, this was not a bonding experience for sure.

Reactions: Paddy
It's always interesting to meet other Tesla owners and shoot the breeze. But for the most part, I'd say it's a non-event. I don't think it's a "premium" experience, whatever that means. :)

For starters, it's not something (for most owners) that you do every day. Personally I do it few times, every few months. Most of my charging involves plugging the car in at home each night - which is much nicer than going to a gas station. On the days that I do go to a supercharger, I drop the car, say hi to whomever else might be there, and then go grab a quick lunch/dinner. By the time I'm done, so is the car.

I love the Supercharge experience.
  • My hands never smell like gasoline
  • The ground isn't covered in oil and gas stains and cat litter cleanup material
  • Typically, the business that's hosting the Supercharger site is welcoming and pleasant
  • I've never encountered a wait or a crowd Supercharging
  • The relaxing 20 minute stop is a welcome rest

Based on my East Coast US experiences (which may not be relevant to the UK) superchargers are set up in a variety of locations: rest stops right along the highway/turnpike, a small detour off the main road, at a service center, or in the far corner of a parking lot of a mall. Sometimes you plug in and walk over to the random chain refreshments center (a restaurant or coffee shop) and grab some food. Sometimes you can kill time/run an errand in a mall or nearby stores. Sometimes there's space outside and benches for a picnic. Sometimes the car charging near you has some interesting aftermarket stuff and you get into a conversation with another Tesla owner. Sometimes the other driver there seems to be in a bad mood and you don't talk. Sometimes you don't feel like talking anyway. Sometimes other folks are curious about the Model S and want to talk with you about the car and ask you questions.

I usually just plug in and take advantage of the opportunity to use a restroom and walk around for a bit, but the closest thing to "premium" is probably when we've charged at a Tesla service center while they're open and taken advantage of their coffee, chairs, and wifi.

In 130,000 Tesla miles I have stopped at maybe 50 superchargers.
These were all on trips or vacations.
I have found the experience of waking up every morning with a full "tank" to be a "premium" experience.

Superchargers are in a variety of locations next to sporting good stores (Springfield IL) to restaurants to fast food joints and some even at scenic overlooks.
Of those 50 or so times, the car was ready for me before I finished what ever it was I did (stretch my legs, grab a bite to eat, etc). Once I took a quick nap, and once I was waiting because I needed a full charge (which would not be the case today at that same spot).

So typically, it is not an "event" of any sort. However, compared to a gas station, it is vastly improved.

There's no getting around it--sitting at a supercharger (or any local establishment) gets old. With time you'll figure out how to minimize the waits and how to maximize your productivity while waiting (I read Tmc or catch up on my streaming queue), but the sugar-free version of the answer you're looking for is "it kinda sucks after a while".