Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Tesla warranty substandard?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I the only one who is totally disappointed in the Tesla Australian 4 year 80,000kms warranty?
When many makers are offering 100,000km warranties, and many more moving to unlimited kms, I'm feeling Tesla's warranty should be better.
I know the battery and drivetrain warranty is very good, but come on Tesla, for the money we pay surely a better warranty is appropriate?

I agree with OP. They build a great car and expect us to only drive 80k KM in 4 years! Particularly annoying when you have non milage-related parts fail after warranty as I have (door handle, center touch screen). Shouldn't matter how much distance I drive for those parts to keep working.

I actually had to look the warranty on my Honda up as I was sure it was better than that - 5 years / 140,000 however it did have the extended warranty thrown in as a EoFY sweetner. It's normally 3 years / 100k so while a year shorter, Tesla's 80k limit does seem rather...limiting.

Not much to go wrong other than battery and motors, which get 8 years unlimited kms.
Things like shocks, brakes and tires are usually considered wear-and-tear so don't get covered by any manufacturer's warranty.
Only things you might get caught on are things like doors, mirrors, trim, sunroof etc. I reckon those issue would probably surface within the first 4 years.
Equivalent priced cars like BMW, Audi and Merc all have 3 years.
I reckon Tesla warranty is pretty reasonable. Even if you never service it the warranty remains valid.

Not much to go wrong other than battery and motors, which get 8 years unlimited kms.
Things like shocks, brakes and tires are usually considered wear-and-tear so don't get covered by any manufacturer's warranty.
Only things you might get caught on are things like doors, mirrors, trim, sunroof etc. I reckon those issue would probably surface within the first 4 years.
I reckon Tesla warranty is pretty reasonable. Even if you never service it the warranty remains valid.
Ya - The Merc had 3 years and the **** wouldn't sell me any more. Found out why when the gearbox, transfer box, rear suspension and air conditioner all failed.

In the US you can extend this part of the warranty but it hasn't reached Aust yet. However the consumer laws in Aust would more than likely mean Tesla would have to cover a fault in this timeframe anyway - initial cost of car vs any major electronics or mechanical fault in 3 years - they'd have to cover it...

You've got it backwards.
Cheap cars usually have longer warranties. Probably because they are cheaper to fix, and more reliable due to using less cutting-edge components.
Fancy cars are usually less reliable (due to more cutting-edge tech) and more expensive to fix, so usually have short warranties. BMW, Merc and Audi are all 3 years.

You've got it backwards.
Cheap cars usually have longer warranties. Probably because they are cheaper to fix, and more reliable due to using less cutting-edge components.
Fancy cars are usually less reliable (due to more cutting-edge tech) and more expensive to fix, so usually have short warranties. BMW, Merc and Audi are all 3 years.
I'm not in Australia, but the reason Hyundai/Kia offered a very long warranty (the longest in its class) is because people didn't trust their reliability, so they put a longer warranty. The costs of servicing a longer warranty was lower than the extra profit they got from more sales.

I'm with Ray on this one. The extended warranty is necessary for me as I wont get the 2 years before I hit the 80K mark. I do about 45-50K per year. Mind you I expect to upgrading within the 3 year lifespan of the extended warranty.
I agree with the basic argument- its way to short relative to the product its design, reliability and reputation.
When I was comparing BMW M7 they claimed 36 months - unlimited ( 999,000 kms)
I sincerely hope theirs no longer term big surprises for us.....

Or it could be that bmw, merc, and audi know their cars are rubbish and over-hyped, and have a short lifespan before issues start.