Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the trade in price Tesla offer negotiable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The offer is pretty low compare to other dealer, is there any possibility to get a better trade in price from Tesla? Don't want to sell privately, just want to get things done all at once. Try to email Tesla, no reply as usual.

Any suggestion?

Maybe in the US you can match carmax, but there isn't a carmax in Canada (at least not in Ontario). They wouldn't budge on the offer they gave me for my 2017 volt last september, despite a few escalations. I ended up selling it privately myself for 8k more than they were offering (a net of 6k once you factor in the tax I would have saved off the model 3 with trading in). You are 'paying' for the convenience of not having to sell your car privately and just being able to drive in with one car, and out with another. Expect about 20% less than the wholesale value of your car since they have to sell it to a 3rd party who will re-sell, and there are markups all along the way.

• Informative
Reactions: BEPA400
The offer is pretty low compare to other dealer, is there any possibility to get a better trade in price from Tesla? Don't want to sell privately, just want to get things done all at once. Try to email Tesla, no reply as usual.

Any suggestion?

I walked away from Tesla for 17 months because of what they did with my trade, so based on my experience, sell private. Here is what happened to me...

They offered me 13k for my Lexus IS350. At the time I thought the car was worth 16-17k on the open market. I was willing to take the 13k just to avoid the hassle. I took photos of the car and completed their forms. They said all was well but that I needed to bring my car in for a final inspection. So, I brought it in.

At the inspection, they told them that I "lied" to them about the condition of the car, the brakes in particular. They said my brakes needed to be done (pads and rotors) even though they were changed about 6 months earlier. They said that I had 5% left on the pads and, so they were decreasing their offer to $11k.

I called my long time mechanic (whom I trust greatly), he put my car up on the hoist and showed me the brake pads. Everything like new, with 5-10% wear on the pads. I had all the docs to prove the repair etc...

Long story short, I walked away and ended up buying my current CPO, sight unseen and with NO input from Tesla. I sold my IS350, 17 months after they wanted to give me 11k for $15,500 private sale. I would have gotten over $17,000 if I had sold it privately 17 months earlier. My car sold in two days, on Kijiji.

Do yourself a favour and sell it privately.

No, but check that the price is correct. I expected $3k on my Ford Focus and they said $2k. I said "uh...KBB is $3k why is this so low" and my SA said "Oh they put in the wrong model year, sorry" and it was instantly changed to $3k.