Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Tesla trade-in price extremely low?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 Model 3 LR RWD 35000 KM, Tesla quoted me 25100$, while I have seen Kijiji Auto and Autotrader listed from 35000$ to 50000$. The cars in 35000$ range are all above 100K km.
The problem with recent FSD offer is that I have to keep the old car before delivery of the New one, so if I want to sell the old one privately I have to prepare a full payment.

Trade in is always the way to get the very lowest price for your car - you're paying for the convenience, the work Tesla will need to do to resell it and the risk they take on doing it largely sight-unseen. The only reason regular dealer trade prices might be higher is they are building it into other parts of the deal (less discount or offset by volume bonuses they are getting) - Tesla has completely transparent pricing so doesn't do that.

If you want the best price for your car, do the work of selling privately or call some dealers who might buy for a middle-ground.

Don't forget the tax benefit of trade in though - when you trade you only pay tax on the price of your car after deduction of the trade value - can be a few thousand.

Trade in is always the way to get the very lowest price for your car - you're paying for the convenience, the work Tesla will need to do to resell it and the risk they take on doing it largely sight-unseen. The only reason regular dealer trade prices might be higher is they are building it into other parts of the deal (less discount or offset by volume bonuses they are getting) - Tesla has completely transparent pricing so doesn't do that.

If you want the best price for your car, do the work of selling privately or call some dealers who might buy for a middle-ground.

Don't forget the tax benefit of trade in though - when you trade you only pay tax on the price of your car after deduction of the trade value - can be a few thousand.
1) Tax savings won't offset their lowest trade in offer
2) Tesla does direct sale that means theres no competition for trade in while buying a new Tesla. Other cars I can shop different dealers.

Does the 25100 is before or after the removal of FSD?

I've got a quote for 38700$ for my 2019 M3 LR AWD (40000km). Then the quote was updated to 26600$ after mentioning the transfer of FSD.
My dad got a similar lowball offer for our SR+ when inquiring about the FSD transfer deal. He laughed all the way out of the store, but not before ordering a new LR Y for himself (my mother will probably claim it, but... minor details).

A rep told me they have no need for trade ins right now. Not sure why everyone feels entitled to giant trade values? The car has to be reconditioned and sold which costs money. If it sits on the lot, the capital is tied up and they’re losing even more money. Maybe they sell it wholesale for an equally low price so someone else does that work.

Trade in is offered purely for convenience and you pay a price for that. Tesla are not making money on these vehicles. If you want the best money for your car, sell it privately, or use AutoTrader or similar to get an offer from a buying dealer. As has always been the case, do the work of you want to maximize your sale price.

Offering $5-10k below black book is the same as saying we don't want trade in's, but the customer service person needs to add that context, or it otherwise just feels like a slap in the face.
Gotcha. I guess I prefer that Tesla doesn’t do the smarmy BS that dealerships do. They’re just honest and factual. I got a trade number last week, it’s low which doesn’t surprise me. I asked and was told straight up that they don’t need trades right now but they try to help buyers by taking them. This has happened to me with dealers before, although the difference is they’ll usually “go speak to the manager” and magically find a thousand or two, building it somewhere else into the deal (mandatory window etching anyone?) or maybe taking it off their volume bonuses. I think people are too used to dealer shenanigans and miss the realities of some of this stuff.

How much do you think for the same car but 35kms this year?
Just from some initial searches, they seem to be listing for the mid 40s.

What you can do as well is get quotes from places like Carnex, Canada Drives, Clutch, etc. If those places are giving you a fair amount (which they absolutely should compared to Tesla’s garbage pricing) then you will have to see if you can line up the logistics of the delivery of your Y and then handover the 3 to whichever service you sell to.

You’ll have to make sure you get a quote without the FSD option listed.

Just from some initial searches, they seem to be listing for the mid 40s.

What you can do as well is get quotes from places like Carnex, Canada Drives, Clutch, etc. If those places are giving you a fair amount (which they absolutely should compared to Tesla’s garbage pricing) then you will have to see if you can line up the logistics of the delivery of your Y and then handover the 3 to whichever service you sell to.

You’ll have to make sure you get a quote without the FSD option listed.
FSD doesn't add much to the sale price.

Nice Spin "they try to help buyers by taking them" no better than the dozen or so low offers I got from Autotrader, Kijiji and FB Marketplace when I was selling my Model 3 privately. They were also doing me a favor with cash in hand ready to immediately buy. I firmly stand by that Tesla could make better offers on their own products as loyalty reward. The fact that they don't is very disappointing.

2018 Model 3 LR RWD 35000 KM, Tesla quoted me 25100$, while I have seen Kijiji Auto and Autotrader listed from 35000$ to 50000$. The cars in 35000$ range are all above 100K km.
The problem with recent FSD offer is that I have to keep the old car before delivery of the New one, so if I want to sell the old one privately I have to prepare a full payment.

Kijiji and Auto Trader show what people think their car is worth and are trying to get, not what they actually get for them in the end. That said, probably still more than the trade-in value you were offered, but you do "pay" for the convenience when you trade in. I do have to say that in our case, we got more from Tesla for our old Santa Fe XL Ultimate than we ever expected to, more in fact than we still owed the bank, so we were pretty thrilled. It's a shame if Tesla's not making offers like that on their own product.

Reactions: richyrich