Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a better family car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gangzoom

May 22, 2014
Uk
2 years and 30K in am still loving the utility of our X, weekend spent clearing out a load of empty boxes and un needed kids bed.

Garage now 1/3 full of junk that needs to go to the tip - plus bed that needs transporting.

47463486731_ca1fc8281c_b.jpg

No issues with the X, didn't even have to remove Isofix child seat.

40497322723_920e4ed6c7_z_d.jpg

This weekend we'll be going to a local kids event with 4 adults and 2 kids in the car. When the grandparents come to visit we only have to take one car when going out and about...

Add in the EV drive train, the panoramic view, powered doors, ever improving AP, is there a better family car on sale today at any price that can compete??

I can see the appeal of the 3/Y been much cheaper with more range, but for utility and family duties the X is simply amazing!!

This weekend we'll be going to a local kids event with 4 adults and 2 kids in the car. When the grandparents come to visit we only have to take one car when going out and about...

Add in the EV drive train, the panoramic view, powered doors, ever improving AP, is there a better family car on sale today at any price that can compete??

I can see the appeal of the 3/Y been much cheaper with more range, but for utility and family duties the X is simply amazing!!
I agree with the 6 seater being great. I really wish I got it instead of the 7 seater that makes the 3rd row difficult to access or fit in. My wife has an Atlas, and it is awesome for a 7 seater; it's so much more functional than the 7 seat Model X. I could have gotten away with the 6 seater and used the Atlas if something didn't fit in the Model X because the seats didn't fold.

2 years and 30K in am still loving the utility of our X, weekend spent clearing out a load of empty boxes and un needed kids bed.

Garage now 1/3 full of junk that needs to go to the tip - plus bed that needs transporting.

47463486731_ca1fc8281c_b.jpg

No issues with the X, didn't even have to remove Isofix child seat.

40497322723_920e4ed6c7_z_d.jpg

It’s the car I want with my family.

It depends. We've been driving Phoenix to SoCal via Tesla since 2014, but recently got a gas car because it's getting impossible to charge anywhere. I mean, not impossible but super inconvenient, especially in CA. Sitting in line for a charging slot, then getting a 34 kw paired charge rate for 2 hours, is just not tenable with antsy kids wanting to run around the parking lot.

I also have a long commute. We have two teslas and only my wife's car gets any use because my commute depends on a supercharger stopover and that station is plugged up with M3's now. So the Merc it is. Hopefully V3 will roll out fast....

So yeah, Mx is a great family car for short trips, or if you live in the midwest ;-)

It depends. We've been driving Phoenix to SoCal via Tesla since 2014, but recently got a gas car because it's getting impossible to charge anywhere. I mean, not impossible but super inconvenient, especially in CA. Sitting in line for a charging slot, then getting a 34 kw paired charge rate for 2 hours, is just not tenable with antsy kids wanting to run around the parking lot.

I also have a long commute. We have two teslas and only my wife's car gets any use because my commute depends on a supercharger stopover and that station is plugged up with M3's now. So the Merc it is. Hopefully V3 will roll out fast....

So yeah, Mx is a great family car for short trips, or if you live in the midwest ;-)

I have to slightly disagree. Own a Model 3 and recently added and X. Just went to LA/Disneyland last week on a Sunday and came back Thursday. It is a busy time of the year with Arizona public schools on spring break. Left Chandler, AZ stopped in Quartzite(border of CA/AZ) pulled right in to s supercharger spot as two spaces were open(middle of Sunday) and other open and emptied on a regular basis. Stopped again about 100 miles down the road in Indigo, again Teslas there but not full. Out of there in 20 minutes and then made it ro Disneyland and charged at hotel during week. On way back made quick stop for 20 minutes in Indigo, 20 minutes in Quartzite and maybe 10 minutes for some extra juice in Buckeye,AZ. buckeye completely empty and every other SC mostly empty. Left Anaheim at 10AM and home thru traffic using HOV in Chandler by 4:45 in time to pickup doggies at the doggie vet/hotel before they closed. Two trips, Vegas and one to Telluride, CO in the last 45 days too. Two kids 6yrs and 4yrs and we made similarly reat time. The 6 seater is the best as walkthru area.and in Telluride trip, 200cm ski bag with skis fits qithout issue and without the need for ski rack. Almost 2500 miles.in last month averaging 335watts per.mile.

Loving our X since we picked it up almost.two months ago. Quick observations, averagung about 335 watts/mile. Kids love sitting in third row and its easy to help them buckle up or help them out due to falcon door.... even third row(though initial child seat install in third isnt that fun). Love the space with frunk, trunk. If there were things to improve i would say center console lighting and better placement of cup holders instead of center armrest. Also would be awesome if 2nd row captains chairs had armrests. Also coming from a model 3....i actually like the simplicity of one less steering wheel stalk as well as one screen. I wish i could control all vents via touchscreen. From sound of things X may look more 3 dash in next revision or not?

Well to be honest.... Model X cargo area is supposed to be "12.6 ft³, 87.8 ft³ with seat area". Honda Odyssey cargo area is "32.8 ft³, 140.7 to 144.9 ft³ with seat area"

We don't have the Odyssey here in England, but we do have the S-Max. I must pass about 20+ of them every day on my short commute to nursery than work, nothing wrong with them, but as someone who's owned a DC2 ITR, 350Z, 335i BMW, I rather take the bus than drive one those things every day. Cars made purely for the purpose of moving things/people from A to B just don't do it for me.

1_25.jpg

you know....the Honda Odyssey also comes to my mind as a worthy contender of usefulness and practicality

Odyssey is the car that I’ve trade for model
x, none of my family can stand it anymore, the third row is impossible to sit in comfortably, the noise when driving, slipping backwards and bump the other cars three times, hit the brake then the engine goes out , no steel bumper in the back of the car...I can go on and on... the most hated car I’ve ever bought.
Now I’m happy.

BTW it was an Asia version odyssey, as far as I know it was different from the US version

We just got back from our first family road trip in our Model X. It was limited to only Colorado but it was winter driving, in the mountains, remote areas, and snow tires. Drove like a dream. First time supercharging was very positive as well. Very quick and easy.

It was also very easy to clean up afterwards. The flat floor in the back makes cleaning up crumbs and misc trash real easy.

So far our first 2k miles have been flawless.

Only two complaint so far. One is the lower rear fender (infront of the rear wheels) is getting pitted from road spray. It's the nature of wide rear fenders. I just wished I had put a clear bra over that area. Our whole front is covered, but we missed this spot.

Second complaint is it sucks transporting skis. I knew this would be the case but I'm still hoping for a better solution than the current hitch mounted rack that allows the skis to get completely covered in road grim. Maybe a box mounted vertically on the hitch with clips inside to attach the skis to.

agreed. the MX range is too short and supercharging options in CA are awful with all the new M3s out there. on a weekend day i can easily put 200-250 mi on the car (OC to malibu/SD/LA/beach/palm springs/mountains, drive around and back) and the 75D does not cut it, needs to supercharge at some point during the day and all the damned superchargers are always full. Like ALL 20 SPOTS. charging options or battery life need to drastically improve for the MX to become a real family day to day car, even the 100D is not where it needs to be.

honestly the best family car is a minivan.

Reactions: brewcoffee2019
agreed. the MX range is too short and supercharging options in CA are awful with all the new M3s out there. on a weekend day i can easily put 200-250 mi on the car (OC to malibu/SD/LA/beach/palm springs/mountains, drive around and back) and the 75D does not cut it, needs to supercharge at some point during the day and all the damned superchargers are always full. Like ALL 20 SPOTS. charging options or battery life need to drastically improve for the MX to become a real family day to day car, even the 100D is not where it needs to be.

Depends on need. My 75X is fine for me. But, Tesla has gone from 40 to 100 KW for battery size in the S and now X. My 2 cents says the will be looking at 120 and 140 KW soon and those will fit your needs, at a price.

And more faster Superchargers are coming. I will soon have 6 Supercharge locations within 25 miles of my home.