Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a delay start feature for charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You open the charging screen on the center console and you can set the time that you want charging to start. You can also set the number of miles you want to charge to, and the amps (which pretty much determines how fast (mph) the charging will go. I've got mine set to start at midnight and it's usually done when I wake up.

Last edited:
Well, I still don't know how to set the miles to charge to??

On the charging screen, touch Set Charge Limit, then slide the limit along the battery graphic to anywhere you want, typically 60-90% or 100% for max charge. Now the charging will stop at that charge level in your battery.

Changing the amps on the charge screen will change the rate at which the battery will charge. If you're at the max amps for your car and it shows that it will take 4 hours to charge, then lowering the amps to half the max amps will increase the charge time to about 8 hours.

On the charging screen, touch Set Charge Limit, then slide the limit along the battery graphic to anywhere you want, typically 60-90% or 100% for max charge. Now the charging will stop at that charge level in your battery.

Changing the amps on the charge screen will change the rate at which the battery will charge. If you're at the max amps for your car and it shows that it will take 4 hours to charge, then lowering the amps to half the max amps will increase the charge time to about 8 hours.

I wouldn't call that "miles". I would call that battery percentage. At least for me, that doesn't translate predictably to miles (even rated).

I wouldn't call that "miles". I would call that battery percentage. At least for me, that doesn't translate predictably to miles (even rated).

Ok fine there is no way to set it to "number of mile to charge to". Rated and ideal miles have always been calculations based on the %charge state of the battery. Just like some ICE cars show a dial with a % of gasoline left, and newer ones calculate how many "miles to empty" based on your usage(mpg).
Unless you have a vehicle whose propulsion is strictly dependent on number of yardsticks you lay behind it, I don't think any vehicle can be filled/charged/set to a certain distance.
Just pick a percentage with room for extra fudge factor or fill'er up like a gas tank.

Is there a way to set when you want it done charging, instead of when you want it to start? I've looked through the manual on my reservation dashboard, but it does not even mention setting a start time, which I know is available. :)

I'd like to make sure it's done to the specified % charge by say 6am (when the rates go back up). If it needs to start before midnight to get there so be it.

Is there a way to set when you want it done charging, instead of when you want it to start?

Not at present. No doubt it will be there in some future release. However, if you have a regular commute, it won't take you very long to figure out when the start time needs to be. You can always check it with the app if it's getting close to the time you want to turn off (until you have it figured out).

This option is great, thanks for sharing. I can now set it for my time of use plan. Our electric company has a cheaper rate at certain times now i can have it start charging at 9pm when its cheaper. Check withdyour electric company to see if it has this plan