Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there an update on out of warranty battery replacement cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Attempting to convince people to purchase Tesla, I been getting feedback from them that it is too costly to change a bad battery. I would like to give them assurances that it would not cost that much; i.e. over 10K+. What do you recommend that I say to would be buyers if battery replacement was not so expensive?

It’s $20K to replace a MS/MX battery.

I would never own a Tesla outside of warranty and I don’t recommend anyone else does either.

This is what happens when companies do not embrace right to repair.
For a new 90kwh (no longer new 85’s) $25,780, installed. Plus, they get my old battery to refurbish and sell for $13,000 installed with just 12 month warranty. It’s an ugly time in reality for high mileage S owners.

Upvote 0
For a new 90kwh (no longer new 85’s) $25,780, installed. Plus, they get my old battery to refurbish and sell for $13,000 installed with just 12 month warranty. It’s an ugly time in reality for high mileage S owners.
$25k is highest I've seen so far. Is that at your Tesla Service Center? If so, would you mind posting invoice?

On the $13k, is that also with Tesla?

Upvote 0
Both new and refurb will have 4 year/50k miles warranty.
The new 90kWh i stalled in Canada is 26k CAD tax in, that is around 19k USD
The issue is that Tesla’s trade in value for a 85D is around 20k CAD with a working battery.
Would be interesting to see if Tesla would install a battery if the car gets to them without one in.

• Informative
Reactions: NV Ray
Upvote 0
Both new and refurb will have 4 year/50k miles warranty.
The new 90kWh i stalled in Canada is 26k CAD tax in, that is around 19k USD
The issue is that Tesla’s trade in value for a 85D is around 20k CAD with a working battery.
Would be interesting to see if Tesla would install a battery if the car gets to them without one in.
Now that makes more sense. USD and CAD. Thx.

Upvote 0
As the owner of a 2014 Model S I have just read this whole thread with interest. I have owned the car 2.5 years, knowing that the warranty ran out last August.
It had a replacement battery about a year before I bought it, but I have no idea what went in. The work was carried out by Tesla, under warranty, so I guess they fitted a refurbished battery, or whatever was available. The previous owner said he had a loan car for about 4 months.
We rarely charge it above 80% and it is plugged in all the time it is at home, although this is no an intelligent charger that only chargers when our solar PV is making more than the house is using. So plugged in all the time we are at home does not mean it is charging all the time it is plugged in.
Living in the South of the UK, we have a few frost over the winter and generally the car will be well pre-heated and the battery warmed on those days. If the temperature is much above freezing we don't bother with the pre-heating, but it is driven gently until the power limitation bars have gone away.
It only has minimal supercharger exposure. I couple of long trips a year.
Hopefully the battery will be good for ages but we plan on keeping the car for a long time, so it is more than possible that I will be in for a big battery bill at some time.
Was on 45,000 miles when we bought it, 71,000 miles now.
Will be booking it in for the MCU upgrade in about a month's time

Upvote 0
As the owner of a 2014 Model S I have just read this whole thread with interest. I have owned the car 2.5 years, knowing that the warranty ran out last August.
It had a replacement battery about a year before I bought it, but I have no idea what went in. The work was carried out by Tesla, under warranty, so I guess they fitted a refurbished battery, or whatever was available. The previous owner said he had a loan car for about 4 months.
We rarely charge it above 80% and it is plugged in all the time it is at home, although this is no an intelligent charger that only chargers when our solar PV is making more than the house is using. So plugged in all the time we are at home does not mean it is charging all the time it is plugged in.
Living in the South of the UK, we have a few frost over the winter and generally the car will be well pre-heated and the battery warmed on those days. If the temperature is much above freezing we don't bother with the pre-heating, but it is driven gently until the power limitation bars have gone away.
It only has minimal supercharger exposure. I couple of long trips a year.
Hopefully the battery will be good for ages but we plan on keeping the car for a long time, so it is more than possible that I will be in for a big battery bill at some time.
Was on 45,000 miles when we bought it, 71,000 miles now.
Will be booking it in for the MCU upgrade in about a month's time
2012 MS P85 #2446 - getting MCU2 (less FM Padio) upgrade tomorrow. $1750 USD plus tax. Through my Tesla Service Center, paid $15k USD last Nov for out of warranty new 85/90 kWh pack. I origiannly ordered reman pack for that $15k. New pack came in and Tesla honored the $15k.

Upvote 0
$25k is highest I've seen so far. Is that at your Tesla Service Center? If so, would you mind posting invoice?
Hard to conclude inflation now causing a $25k C-battery? Commodities are going down. Alternatively, saw used inventory: $65k 2019 100d, low 30-40k miles, For that, I'm still not sure I'd rather trade away FUSC, connectivity, take $30-35k trade on the P85D....and then a bigger-than-new-battery check to Tesla (+sls/excise tax) for:
-mystery MaxFullCharge KWh, Usable?
-4-5y/o battery
We're becoming a defined group. WK057 is probably gauging how many trade-away rather than replace, to determine whether custom (new cell) packs are worth development. Too many of us, and it'll never happen. If not for C-batteries, our cars would be off the road sooner. ReCell will eventually have to start seeing C-packs, to stay in business. That, or retrofitting later incompatible Model S packs, somehow?

Upvote 0
Hard to conclude inflation now causing a $25k C-battery? Commodities are going down. Alternatively, saw used inventory: $65k 2019 100d, low 30-40k miles, For that, I'm still not sure I'd rather trade away FUSC, connectivity, take $30-35k trade on the P85D....and then a bigger-than-new-battery check to Tesla (+sls/excise tax) for:
-mystery MaxFullCharge KWh, Usable?
-4-5y/o battery
We're becoming a defined group. WK057 is probably gauging how many trade-away rather than replace, to determine whether custom (new cell) packs are worth development. Too many of us, and it'll never happen. If not for C-batteries, our cars would be off the road sooner. ReCell will eventually have to start seeing C-packs, to stay in business. That, or retrofitting later incompatible Model S packs, somehow?
Post #84 indicated $25k CAN. That equals around $18k USD. That is more in line of USD cost for new of which I am aware.

Upvote 0
This is what happens when companies do not embrace right to repair.
What are you talking about? Tesla provides schematics and service manuals for free. You can repair your car if you are knowledgeable. There are third-party shops that do repairs like wk056's shop and Recell. Both do battery repairs, often for less than $10K. For battery repairs, if you're capable of removing the 1000 lb battery and working with lethal high voltages, then I guess you could do the work yourself. Not sure I'd recommend it as most are not trained to do this kind of work.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Upvote 0
What are you talking about?
Probably the way things used to be.
Tesla provides schematics and service manuals for free.
For many years they did not. Tesla was VERY jealously protective about not wanting to release any of that information at all to anyone. It was only one state that required it by law (Massachusetts, maybe?) where owners could get access to those manuals. There was a nifty little "black market" for a while of owners in that state getting the documentation and passing it along to owners in other states who weren't allowed to access it.

I had not actually heard that Tesla changed this policy at all. Is it different now?

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Upvote 0
Yep, for about a year now Tesla has provided free access - far more than most other car makers. It's all online. Go to Manuals and set up an account (it's free). You then get access to schematics, parts catalog, diagrams, service instructions, and more. Tesla also made access to the hidden service details free. Here's how you get to the service menu: Service Mode – TeslaTap

There is a more advanced Toolbox 3 that does require a paid subscription, so not everything is free, but few owners would need this.

Enjoy!

Reactions: Huachipato
Upvote 0
Yep, for about a year now Tesla has provided free access - far more than most other car makers. It's all online. Go to Manuals and set up an account (it's free). You then get access to schematics, parts catalog, diagrams, service instructions, and more. Tesla also made access to the hidden service details free. Here's how you get to the service menu: Service Mode – TeslaTap

There is a more advanced Toolbox 3 that does require a paid subscription, so not everything is free, but few owners would need this.

Enjoy!
have you looked at the manuals and parts diagram. It's a joke from what I've seen. R&R manual basically. No diagnostics that I've seen.

Upvote 0
The problem with the pack repair for still thousands of $, is that although it may not cost what an all new pack or a refurb will cost, its a pack with limited life. Replacing the few modules that went too far out of tolerance is a short term fix. The other modules will follow soon if it's a high mileage pack. Even a Tesla refurb is just a repaired pack.
That's why I opted to go with new 2022 build pack from my Tesla Service Center. New HV battery.jpg

Upvote 0
have you looked at the manuals and parts diagram. It's a joke from what I've seen. R&R manual basically. No diagnostics that I've seen.
Yep, I've seen them, and Teslas are better than a couple of other brands I've looked at (but I've not looked at every brand). The car provides diagnostic details in English (see Service Mode). Is it perfect, no, but far better than just about any other vehicle make. Tesla doesn't force you to buy an expensive scan tool as other automakers do that just gives you a mystery number for faults. Here's one example from Tesla service mode:

service alerts Y.jpg

All cars and brands require some smarts and training to do repair jobs. I realize not every problem will generate a diagnostic flag, but those that do not are typically more common issues that happen on all cars (tires, brakes, suspension, steering, etc.). Those knowledgeable in those areas should be able to diagnose and fix them as they are similar for all vehicle brands.

Upvote 0
Yep, I've seen them, and Teslas are better than a couple of other brands I've looked at (but I've not looked at every brand). The car provides diagnostic details in English (see Service Mode). Is it perfect, no, but far better than just about any other vehicle make. Tesla doesn't force you to buy an expensive scan tool as other automakers do that just gives you a mystery number for faults. Here's one example from Tesla service mode:

View attachment 922234
All cars and brands require some smarts and training to do repair jobs. I realize not every problem will generate a diagnostic flag, but those that do not are typically more common issues that happen on all cars (tires, brakes, suspension, steering, etc.). Those knowledgeable in those areas should be able to diagnose and fix them as they are similar for all vehicle brands.
Do you have screenshot of BMS_U029 error code?

Upvote 0