Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there any non-Tesla level 3 charger with NACS plug yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that the NACS plug is considered by Tesla to be a "charging standard" for other companies to use, just wondering if anyone has heard about a level 3 charger that has the NACS plug installed. I contacted Chargepoint and the salesperson said they are not offering NACS - just CCS and Chademo, and they said that although Teslas are the majority of long range EVs now, they don't plan to cater to Teslas (except if you have an adapter) because in the future, the majority of EVs will not be Teslas and so their connectors will be adequate.

This is pretty frustrating because I'd think for the level 3 chargers with two plugs, the best option would be one side with CCS and the other with NACS.

Just to add to the previous comments on EVgo, since they use CCS communication, you can't charge on them with pre-2020 Teslas until the CCS upgrade is offered. Believe me, I've tried.
As far as ChargePoint's answer to your question. I think it's pretty reasonable. They know Tesla has an L3 network two orders of magnitude bigger than theirs, that all Teslas will be able to charge at CCS stations soon and they'd be better off focusing on the rest of the world right now.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Just to add to the previous comments on EVgo, since they use CCS communication, you can't charge on them with pre-2020 Teslas until the CCS upgrade is offered. Believe me, I've tried.
As far as ChargePoint's answer to your question. I think it's pretty reasonable. They know Tesla has an L3 network two orders of magnitude bigger than theirs, that all Teslas will be able to charge at CCS stations soon and they'd be better off focusing on the rest of the world right now.

Hang on, does EVgo offer some stations with NACS that basically uses an internal Tesla CCS adapter? The ones around me use a Chademo adapter, so it's limited to 50kw but does work on older cars. I have a 2019 car without CCS adapter support and have successfully charged at an EVgo station.

Technically the answer to the original question is that many EVgo stations offer the NACS connector (albeit through an integrated CHAdeMO->NACS adapter).

But I have run across one (and only one so far) station that uses the Tesla CCS adapter (and as such would only work with newer cars or cars with the CCS retrofit): KPC Anaheim Medical Center | PlugShare

Now theoretically this could achieve >50kW speeds, but unfortunately it's only on a 50kW station, so oh well.

Hang on, does EVgo offer some stations with NACS that basically uses an internal Tesla CCS adapter? The ones around me use a Chademo adapter, so it's limited to 50kw but does work on older cars. I have a 2019 car without CCS adapter support and have successfully charged at an EVgo station.
Yes, just like RTPEV said, the L3 EVgo installations around me typically have 3 or 4 stations. Typically two have CCS and CHAdeMo and the third has CCS and a Tesla connector (max 50kW). It's interesting to see how they position these stalls to accommodate all the various vehicle plug locations. Those 3 stalls use up about 6 or 7 parking spaces in total. Sadly, these locations are woefully unreliable with extensive periods of downtime.

Maybe this is the first L3 charger that offers a NACS connection? I wonder if EVCS is building their own chargers or if they are purchased from another manufacturer.
To me it looks like someone simply put a CCS->NACS adapter (probably third party, not Tesla, based on the timing if it) onto a standard CCS cable. Definitely does not seem like an OEM NACS cable (otherwise it wouldn't have such a huge handle).

And while I don't claim to have perfect knowledge of these networks (and EVCS in particular does not have a super useful app/site to research these things), I do closely monitor new sites and updates to sites, and this is the one and only example of what appears to be a Tesla connector on a charging station, other than the EVgo stations which effectively use the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter.

Reactions: Marlon
NACS is moving fast to market.

Reactions: israndy

The first one is not surprising.

The second one...WOW! (but also not surprising)

The second one...WOW! (but also not surprising)
I read that article yesterday, and that headline is a horrific misrepresentation of what actually happened. CharIN said basically the exact opposite of what the headline says. Here's the money quote showing how dishonest and two-faced CharIN is being:

"NACS should be submitted to standards bodies to unify the charging standards market in North America."

Oh, really?! It "should be submitted"??? Do we remember what happened when Tesla did that? CharIN gave them a frosty response that told Tesla to F*&% off, because CCS already IS the standard, and we don't need another one, so they should drop it and get in line:

"However, we encourage stakeholders to investigate ways to focus on market acceleration rather than the creation of yet another form factor alternative, which will lead to further consumer confusion and delay EV adoption. CCS has gone through many years of rigorous standardization processes, which is a required activity for any new standard proposal. After a decade of collaborative work, the domestic and international EV industry has aligned around CCS."

So there are two things there that make me angry:
1. For CharIN to suggest that Tesla should submit NACS to standards bodies when they already rejected it is awful.
2. And for the headline to portray this as "support" is badly misleading.

So there are two things there that make me angry:
1. For CharIN to suggest that Tesla should submit NACS to standards bodies when they already rejected it is awful.
2. And for the headline to portray this as "support" is badly misleading.
When I saw the CharIN articles, I had the same reaction. Most of the reporters seemed to have forgotten or were not aware CharIN already clearly said "No Thanks" once before just recently. Obviously something changed for them to reconsider, but it certainly wasn't what they were originally planning to do (which amounted to telling Tesla to go pound sand).

Reactions: Rocky_H