Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there dislike towards EV drivers in the UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So just to be clear this (best ever on this forum) row over the relative merits of BMW's versus Teslas is happening between one person who has never owned a Tesla and one person who has never owned either?:confused:
So long as you are enjoying yourselves I guess that's the main thing :)

Did I misunderstand the title of the OP? It isn't just about Tesla's it is about "dislike towards EV drivers in the UK"

Imagine what the reaction from fellow motorists was way back in 2013 when you have pretty much your own dedicated parking space within spitting distance of the nearest building or point of interest.

Imagine the reaction from everyone when they realised the electricity you were pumping into your car (sometimes as much as 27KW however briefly) was completely FREE and they believed their tax dollars were paying for you to charge for free.

Imagine your fellow on street parking motorists when they realise you can combine the above points and not only do you get free parking in inner city car parks/streets BUT you also get free charging.

Imagine the reaction when the BMW driver gets left at the traffic light drag race because they weren't expecting the silent shuffle, FROM A DATSUN no less.

Then imagine how that dislike can grow now that there are thousands of EV's kicking around and NOT just the few dozen that there were back in 2013. So YES I think I am enjoying myself as it was a good post and question.

If you can't see how the above would engender dislike towards EV drivers just imagine if you will how much that dislike will have increased after a brief conversation with Neilio expounding upon the merits of Tesla's now that he owns one, or at least will shortly providing he accepts it upon delivery. I MUST say I am awaiting that post with a certain degree of relish LOL Boo Hoo, woe is me, my doors,boot,roof,panels,wheels,paint etc. etc. etc. don't fit like they did on my BMW etc. etc.

BTW, I prefer to think of myself as someone that will NEVER own a BMW :D

Another amusing rant. I tried to steer you back to why I said. I guess you just want to wander of on your own self righteous rant. Thanks for entertaining me though

Oh no you have said enough to keep us ALL amused, isn't that why you said?;

"Like I said, hopefully when they are screwed together by German engineers they'll be a bit better."

"US cars always have an issue with build quality."

"TBH I love tesla and in 2 weeks I’ll own one but I’m not going to hold back the BMW has the Tesla beat."

"the beemer was just superior in every way".

"That’s why the BMW M3 has better driving dynamics than a model 3 performance."

"When you are spending £60 grand on a car you expect more than things you need."

"I chose the Model 3 performance above its German counterparts because of the tech, the running costs and the chance to own what may be the future of transportation. I’m just pointing out you can’t be blinkered and the BMW M3 has so many features that make it better than the model 3."

"You need to have a think before you post."

ALL of the above were cut & pasted from your posts AND you have the audacity to accuse me of acting like "an ass hat". I think you need to take a look at your last quote above and follow your own advice. I mean seriously what reaction did you expect from an EV/Tesla forum? Seriously, what did you expect?

:)

But on the actual topic of 'Is there a dislike towards EV drivers in the UK'.

In line with some of the other comments, youngsters (especially those not old enough to drive :)) know exactly what a tesla is and love them, all in with minimalist interiors etc (I was asked to drive from Bssingstoke to my young nieces in Liverpool because she desperately wanted to have a go in a Tesla - how could I refuse)

The number of people who respond with a 'Oh it's electric' when they see the car plugged in to charge still amazes me. More often than not this followed by a conversation about a) who Tesla are !!! and b) endeavouring to dispel all the standard misconceptions i.e. too slow, no range, nowhere to charge, too slow to charge, poor battery life and too expensive (I struggle with that one, need more cheaper electric cars).

The closest to dislike i've experienced is the numerous AMG Merc's & M BMW owners who struggle to understand what's happened when the traffic light goes green on a dual carriage way (I even give them have a head start :D:p ), but I see that more as a learning experience for them - eco friendly can be fun.

Outright hostility - none so far.

Now we've all got that unpleasantness off our chests, a follow on question: Is there a Tesla hatred from other EV drivers? I only ask because on zap map there are a load of comments from a charger in my home town. All complaining about a couple of "Tesla twins" who keep blocking it up

Now we've all got that unpleasantness off our chests, a follow on question: Is there a Tesla hatred from other EV drivers? I only ask because on zap map there are a load of comments from a charger in my home town. All complaining about a couple of "Tesla twins" who keep blocking it up

Perhaps some jealousy from some. But when I've parked and charged near other EVs in my Tesla they're usually very friendly and positive. I think they feel they're on the same side, which they should.

I was down in the Cotswolds last week parked in a small village in my MS. a Nissan leaf driver pulled up, there was lots of admiring comments- I was sat on a bench opposite my car. We got into a conversation about each others car, I commented that we also owned a Leaf and enjoyed it.

The other driver did want a Tesla though

Reactions: Beady3647

I've definitely had that from A N Other EV forum, I put a genuine question on a thread about 'Charging etiquette' (not the Mr Miserable thread which is a hoot lol!) for park and ride 7kw chargers - can I park all day there plugged in whilst at work or am I expected to unplug and move it when it's charged ? (Yes a silly question but some people were getting thier underwear in a twizz about blocking chargers all day). Admittedly my avatar was a tesla logo, so all of a sudden I get a lot of abuse from leaf and zoe owners about we tesla owners have our own network, blah blah blah and if I can afford a tesla I can afford to use a supercharger instead of a free 7kw charger, and the fact that tesla drivers don't respect traditional EV drivers. It was all quite ridiculous TBF. It smelt rather of the fact that the M3 is getting a lot of ICE drivers moving into the EV world that thier legacy of being an early adopter was under threat and they maybe would have to wait for a charger which is blocked by new EV drivers who have an ICE mentality.
Quickly left that forum for the warmth of the Tesla Brethren here!

I've definitely had that from A N Other EV forum, I put a genuine question on a thread about 'Charging etiquette' (not the Mr Miserable thread which is a hoot lol!) for park and ride 7kw chargers - can I park all day there plugged in whilst at work or am I expected to unplug and move it when it's charged ? (Yes a silly question but some people were getting thier underwear in a twizz about blocking chargers all day). Admittedly my avatar was a tesla logo, so all of a sudden I get a lot of abuse from leaf and zoe owners about we tesla owners have our own network, blah blah blah and if I can afford a tesla I can afford to use a supercharger instead of a free 7kw charger, and the fact that tesla drivers don't respect traditional EV drivers. It was all quite ridiculous TBF. It smelt rather of the fact that the M3 is getting a lot of ICE drivers moving into the EV world that thier legacy of being an early adopter was under threat and they maybe would have to wait for a charger which is blocked by new EV drivers who have an ICE mentality.
That's sad that you experienced that. I think the supercharger network is an issue. Some other EV guys seem to think we should use it exclusively. That may be why the "tesla twins" in my original thought get abuse. The nearest superchargers are over 20 miles away, so it's not really practical to go to them just for fuel. I hope, in general, EV drivers are a bit more positive because we are all part of the same club in the end.

Reactions: Lucanesque
That's sad that you experienced that. I think the supercharger network is an issue. Some other EV guys seem to think we should use it exclusively. That may be why the "tesla twins" in my original thought get abuse. The nearest superchargers are over 20 miles away, so it's not really practical to go to them just for fuel. I hope, in general, EV drivers are a bit more positive because we are all part of the same club in the end.
Probably on the whole people are generally accepting of Tesla drivers as in part of them it's pushing more to the EV world. It's always the small verbal minority who make issues, it is annoying that some (I hate to say the word) influencers on the internet who have teslas have to say they aren't a 'fanboy' of Tesla just because they own one - Electric vehicle man on Youtube, Robert Llewellyn on Fully charged etc. Yes some fall at the throne of Musk,but most people like the cars don't like the man behind the curtain.

I am eternally grateful that we have now moved on from the recent education of Tesla non believers, I really am, I haven't been sleeping properly and lost almost 2 stone in weight with the worry and anguish :)

Not sure how only using the SC Network would work in N. Ireland as Tesla have zero SC Network that I am aware of so public charging would have to be the ecarni network which I have seen all types of EV using without much of a problem. I have a photograph somewhere with a Leaf, Zoe & i3 all using a CCS simultaneously.

There are a few locations that are regularly blocked during the working week by the same two chancers, one I know off is a source of real amusement by their co-workers as there are 3 Leaf's that want to use 2 spaces, the arrival times are getting earlier and earlier apparently to be the first to arrive.

Remember; The early bird catches the worm BUT the second mouse gets the cheese ;)

Just to show there is sometimes a bit of justice;

LkRCleP.jpg