Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there dislike towards EV drivers in the UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s a fact though. Just because we are a a Tesla forum doesn’t mean we can’t be honest. Surely humility makes the OP “hatred towards EV” less likely. There are many things you can recommend a Tesla for but a BMW M3 is better built, much better equipped and performs better. Thats pretty easy to demonstrate.

Don’t get me wrong. I love Tesla’s and I love what they do but I won’t lie or go over the top about them.

Yeah but you literally just said "the beemer was just superior in every way". Don't dig your hole deeper, that statement is utter rubbish. The BMW M3 does not beat the Model 3 SR+ in terms of environmental credentials, software upgradeability, autonomous driving capability, predictable acceleration and ease of driving (no power bands and gears to worry about in the Tesla), safety, infotainment or price. For sure it beats it in various areas, but to state it's superior in every way is just ridiculous and incorrect.

Yeah but you literally just said "the beemer was just superior in every way". Don't dig your hole deeper, that statement is utter rubbish. The BMW M3 does not beat the Model 3 SR+ in terms of environmental credentials, software upgradeability, autonomous driving capability, predictable acceleration and ease of driving (no power bands and gears to worry about in the Tesla), safety or infotainment. For sure it beats it in various areas, but to state it's superior in every way is just ridiculous and incorrect.
Have a look at my first comparison. I told you the ways in which the Beemer was better. I didn't have time to repeat myself.

Let's try and be sensible here. Sure we all love our Tesla's just let's not big them up as things they aren't . That's all I'm saying. Be sensible. I guess @Exy1 would rather replace reasonable debate with sarcasm and snide comments. I'm sorry but I just don't operate like that.

• Informative
Reactions: EVMeister
... except against a Tesla M3P on the Top Gear track ... (just thought I'd light the blue touch paper!) I'll get my coat now:rolleyes:.
I think the BMW got the nod though, because it feels better

Good point though. I reckon a race between the M3 and erm M3P (this is going to get confusing) what be very close and down to the skill of the driver. Alright I've only ever driven both for limited times and on public roads but they seem very evenly matched performance wise. Luckily for me the post I was replying to wasn't comparing those two cars!!!

I think the BMW got the nod though, because it feels better

Good point though. I reckon a race between the M3 and erm M3P (this is going to get confusing) what be very close and down to the skill of the driver. Alright I've only ever driven both for limited times and on public roads but they seem very evenly matched performance wise. Luckily for me the post I was replying to wasn't comparing those two cars!!!
And to add to the confusion, in the wet the AWD model 3 performance will be far better.

Although I think BMW do an X drive M3 now?

Is it not about time to forget about comparisons between BMW M3 and the basic model 3? There is no doubt that the BMW is a very desirable motor car. I have friends with Porsche and Aston Martin cars as well. They are fantastic too. The point is people going for these cars are in a completely different market. For a start the Beemer is 20k more than the basic Tesla. Quiet driving is not appealing to those that want everyone to know how big their.... sorry how powerful their engine is. High Road fund licence, running costs, high insurance and cheap fuel are also factors. So why not just compare apples and oranges?

True story, my wife was vaguely threatening to buy me an M4 competition when the option of the company car Model 3 came along. I am a lucky husband to have this possibility.

I turned down the M4. Have done all that jazz (M3, CSL etc) over the years and it felt like the time to try something completely different. As much as I’d love the BMW, I am sick to death of petrol stations at motorway services and also being really honest I am totally bored of European/traditional interiors. They are different across manufacturers but also in reality all the same.

Maybe I am daft for turning down the option of a fire-breathing toy, but no driving emissions and no more petrol stations seems highly attractive as part of a car concept that is completely disruptive.

It doesn’t mean I hate petrol, and am not really bothered if people hate EV’s or not - it’s just a choice that is at a point in time. The time for me feels right to make the conscious switch into EV. Hopefully over the 3 year lease the market opens right up and some more cool stuff comes along - Tesla, whatever - doesn’t matter.

To put all the above into context, we’re going to get the wife into an S3. She’s not quite ready to take the leap herself yet - and there’s still a place for some fun toys that might not be EVs, no hatred is necessary from either direction :)

True story, my wife was vaguely threatening to buy me an M4 competition when the option of the company car Model 3 came along. I am a lucky husband to have this possibility.

I turned down the M4. Have done all that jazz (M3, CSL etc) over the years and it felt like the time to try something completely different. As much as I’d love the BMW, I am sick to death of petrol stations at motorway services and also being really honest I am totally bored of European/traditional interiors. They are different across manufacturers but also in reality all the same.

Maybe I am daft for turning down the option of a fire-breathing toy, but no driving emissions and no more petrol stations seems highly attractive as part of a car concept that is completely disruptive.

It doesn’t mean I hate petrol, and am not really bothered if people hate EV’s or not - it’s just a choice that is at a point in time. The time for me feels right to make the conscious switch into EV. Hopefully over the 3 year lease the market opens right up and some more cool stuff comes along - Tesla, whatever - doesn’t matter.

To put all the above into context, we’re going to get the wife into an S3. She’s not quite ready to take the leap herself yet - and there’s still a place for some fun toys that might not be EVs, no hatred is necessary from either direction :)
Good post this.

I'm a massive petrol head, I love the roar of a V8. I also have just bought a Tesla. You can actually be both. I hope Jay Leno is right. He thinks that the rise of clean fuel cars (be they EV, hydrogen or other) will actually save the car for enthusiasts. In the same way the car stopped horses being something that stank up our cities and created noise pollution. People still have horses for riding for pleasure. I imagine ICE vehicles will go the same way.

Reactions: Adopado
I hope Jay Leno is right. He thinks that the rise of clean fuel cars (be they EV, hydrogen or other) will actually save the car for enthusiasts. In the same way the car stopped horses being something that stank up our cities and created noise pollution. People still have horses for riding for pleasure.

Not just horses! Yes, doing stuff often causes pollution. Don't waste it, especially if there is an alternative / better way that avoids polluting (as much).

They CAN be, but I would far sooner hang on to a mechanical watch with a soul and temperament! Electronic stuff is guaranteed to become obsolete and likely unrepairable while mechanical stuff can pretty much always be brought back to life.
That’s fair enough but you’re making my point admirably.
Obsolete is for “smart watches”.
The Casio Quartz watch I had in primary school (too many decades ago!) still works just as well and just as accurately if all you want is for it to show the time. For a fraction of the cost of what a similarly accurate mechanical watch of a similar accuracy would have cost.

you’re making my point admirably.

That's OK! ;)

I briefly considered buying a Lotus EV prototype, but it was obvious that even though it was being sold with loads of spares, in all likelihood it would become undriveable and virtually unfixable.

Like typewriter vs word processor.

Some parts (like OLED displays) just die. Electrolytes dry up. Fans fail and cook components. It's a real trade-off when go electronic, and the trade-off isn't always evident.

I wonder what the equivalent of the family photos from the Victorian age will be 100 plus years from now?

A bit like mechanical watches.
Wonderful marvels of precision technology, now reserved for enthusiasts. Electronic watches can be more accurate, durable, maintenance free and cheaper.
That’s what I see happening in the automotive industry.
I think you are right! I also have a small collection of mechón al watches at home. Maybe when the EV is king I can have a TVR Griffith 500 on a little winder in my garage. To bring out to play on sunny days

My car routes are firmly Lotus (still own an Elan M100) and no doubt that the original Elise is a great fun (light ish) car. The T Roadster is what got me seriously looking at Tesla tears ago, but while the Roadster (despite all its differences under the skin) is Elise sized, obviously it loses all of the agile feeling of the Elise.

I would love Lotus to capture the feel of the Elise in a more environmentally compatible design, but given that the Elise already exists with ICE and batteries are heavy, I think it will be a long time before we see that happen.

I converted an Elise in 2008 after coveting the T Roadster. I still have it and it is my favourite car by a country mile. Only 60 mile range with the 50Ah cells but so so much fun.
Lotus could easily make an affordable EV sports car and sell every one but they plough millions into that behemoth "Evija" which will sit in garages in the Middle East. They need to pull the old designs and set up a separate company to build them.

I converted an Elise in 2008 after coveting the T Roadster. I still have it and it is my favourite car by a country mile. Only 60 mile range with the 50Ah cells but so so much fun.
Lotus could easily make an affordable EV sports car and sell every one but they plough millions into that behemoth "Evija" which will sit in garages in the Middle East. They need to pull the old designs and set up a separate company to build them.

Cool. What a fun car that must be. I got my Elise after my long line of Esprits ended with the V8 which I really did not enjoy. The Elise took me all over France, over the Alps and the Pryenees with a huge grin!

Any pics / Info for your Elise project? (dm links fine if you prefer)

Agree Lotus lost the plot with Evija. A smart, lightweight fun EV would sell really well, especially with Lotus badge.

A pretty old spec can be found on www.evalbum.com/1454

Like most projects, it never ends and is always being improved. At some point I will install higher capacity cells as the 60 mile range is limited to cell chemistry over ten years old now. They are the far safer but lower capacity LiFePo4 that tend to be very difficult to convert to an incendiary device so ideal for hobbyists!

A pretty old spec can be found on www.evalbum.com/1454

Like most projects, it never ends and is always being improved. At some point I will install higher capacity cells as the 60 mile range is limited to cell chemistry over ten years old now. They are the far safer but lower capacity LiFePo4 that tend to be very difficult to convert to an incendiary device so ideal for hobbyists!
Nice.

I'm sure I studied your project in the past as I remember the photo of the hoist lifting out the motor.

Reactions: Rustybkts
They CAN be, but I would far sooner hang on to a mechanical watch with a soul and temperament! Electronic stuff is guaranteed to become obsolete and likely unrepairable while mechanical stuff can pretty much always be brought back to life.
And the same could be said for an ICE, nes pa? I have a vintage V12 manual,e.g.

I'm a massive petrol head, I love the roar of a V8. I also have just bought a Tesla. You can actually be both.
Same here. I love cars - which is what got me into the Tesla (no interest in Prius' or Leaf's) and have a nice range in the garage. But I suspect for many on here it worked the other way around - getting into cars after they've got a Tesla. Based on some comments - that are very basic car 101....

Last edited:
Reactions: Neilio