Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this a record for the longest repair job

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In 5 days it will be 8 full months since I dropped my Model X off for collision repairs. It has been a nightmare. The MX is my only car and I only had a month of rental coverage on mt Tesla insurance. It took over 5/6 months just to get the repair parts. One key part was out of stock and everything was on hold until Tesla made this part. Clearly this was aTesla problem rather than a shop problem. But the certified shop keeps discovering minor parts that needed replacing and each time there are about 10 days to get the part. Then they discover another part. It has been an horrendous nightmare that hopefully will come to an end soon. Has anyone else had anything like this? What is frustrating is that it is impossible to reach anyone in authority at Tesla to even complain to. A real lesson in patience and forbearance. On the other hand I realize anew how much I love my MX.

In 5 days it will be 8 full months since I dropped my Model X off for collision repairs. It has been a nightmare. The MX is my only car and I only had a month of rental coverage on mt Tesla insurance. It took over 5/6 months just to get the repair parts. One key part was out of stock and everything was on hold until Tesla made this part. Clearly this was aTesla problem rather than a shop problem. But the certified shop keeps discovering minor parts that needed replacing and each time there are about 10 days to get the part. Then they discover another part. It has been an horrendous nightmare that hopefully will come to an end soon. Has anyone else had anything like this? What is frustrating is that it is impossible to reach anyone in authority at Tesla to even complain to. A real lesson in patience and forbearance. On the other hand I realize anew how much I love my MX.
I am going on 6 months. The problem has been 1 getting parts and 2 line of Teslas ahead of mine for repair. It should have been totaled, except that my insurance company had an agreed value of my 2020 Model Y at $72,000. The first cost of repair estimate was about $27,000 and I have $15,000 for rentals.

It happened to myself, 2 of my friends, and 2 of my clients. My is a model S, clients and friends have model 3 and Y. We all had to wait 3 to 6 months for just ONE part. Same story: we called the body shop to make sure every part was in before we dropped the car off, but then 1 month after the shop will call you and said 1 more part would be needed, and there is no EAT, we don’t know when you will have your car back. It is the same story for all if us. It is drivable until they disassemble it and you won’t have your car for at least 6 months. My customer traded her car in right the way. My models S is still in the shop and I am stuck with the lease. I have been driving Tesla for 8 years (3, Y and S) and cannot even imagine driving a non-Tesla. But after this I will never get a Tesla again. Luckily, other brands’ electric cars are looking more promising now.

It happened to myself, 2 of my friends, and 2 of my clients. My is a model S, clients and friends have model 3 and Y. We all had to wait 3 to 6 months for just ONE part. Same story: we called the body shop to make sure every part was in before we dropped the car off, but then 1 month after the shop will call you and said 1 more part would be needed, and there is no EAT, we don’t know when you will have your car back. It is the same story for all if us. It is drivable until they disassemble it and you won’t have your car for at least 6 months. My customer traded her car in right the way. My models S is still in the shop and I am stuck with the lease. I have been driving Tesla for 8 years (3, Y and S) and cannot even imagine driving a non-Tesla. But after this I will never get a Tesla again. Luckily, other brands’ electric cars are looking more promising now.
You might want to consider a different body shop with your next car. Sounds like they are the one’s playing a game.

It could be, but they are a very high rated shop. Moreover, my customers experienced the same thing at other shops. And my friends who live in other states. My shop provided me with communications from Tesla too.

Wow, yeah my insurance agent echos the same sentiment. He hates it when a client has to get repairs on a Tesla vehicle since Tesla, Inc is the only parts supplier. But Tesla, Inc has no obligation to provide parts on a timely manner.

But the agent does like how there are cameras everywhere. So I guess it's a win/lose situation.

I work at Richard’s Body Shop in Chicago and to prevent this we constantly order parts in advance and even essentially keep a full model Y and 3 in stock so that we do not need to wait for parts to come. Due to this, while most places have long waits before you can even bring your car in we can take in new cars even from a walk in.

My MX was in an accident on 12/6/22, needed front struts, however the shop said “it is around 4 to 5 months to get the part from Tesla.”

On 5/19/23, the shop called to tell me that the part has finally arrived. However from this point on, the shop let me know that it will take 55 business days to complete the work..

Today, 7/10/23 the shop called to let me know that they are on schedule for getting the vehicle ready by 8/4/23….

If I do get the car back, that will be 7 months and 29 days..

In the meantime I’ve spent over $15,000 in car rental…

On October 1st 2022 my wife hit a moose with our 5 month old Model X. It is now November 23 2023 and still no car. Same problems. No parts available for a brand new car, wrong part numbers, shipping wrong parts, on and on it goes. This may qualify for the longest repair!

And here was me thinking we are badly done by down under. Got a nasty scrape down the side of my model 3 in early October & quickly discovered there are only a handful of repairers allowed to do Tesla work in Sydney. Next discovery was that none of them can get parts till mid Jan next year, lucky for me the car is drivable. On the plus side repair is supposed to take less than a week once my turn comes around. Hoping a door & panel replacement isn't going to develop into a nightmare. Can't help wonder what body work will be like for Aptera owners if that piece of carbon fibre phantasmagoria ever comes to Australia?

Last edited: